delayed entry program - questions
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question delayed entry program - questions

If my brother (18 yr old graduating today) can already pass the physicals, and he is 100% sure he wants to join the Marines, is there any benefit to the Delayed Entry Program?

My brother practices muy thai and is in great physical shape. His ASVAB is low - 59. I don't see any reason for him to participate in any "getting in shape" activities. Seems to me like he should be trying to improve his test scores instead. He's not dumb, it's just that he took the test almost 2 years ago at JROTC with no preparation at all.

From what I understand, with his low score, the DEP won't help him at all in getting the infantry-related marine career that he wants, because the focus is on physical training. I'm told there is no way to guarantee a particular MOS anyway. His goal is to be a scout sniper someday.

Could someone tell us *realistically* what are his chances? And does the method of enlistment matter? If so, how much?

PS - I have no idea if this is the correct forum. I did search and did not find info on this topic.

What is your question? Look everyone goes into the DEP to wait before they go to bootcamp. Very few (usually high risks) leave straight from meps their first time. Will DEP benefit him? Depends. If the recruiter is willing to put in extra time to study with him and get a higher score on the asvab he could have more jobs open up. Honestly has nothing to do whether its a benefit or not. Its not about the individual. I personally hated the dep. Hated checking in or going to some stupid motarded weak pt session for fat people, but I had to wait 7 months for my slot. My brother enlisted in January and was supposed to ship around October. 18 graduate in shape just like your brother. Someone was injured and a slot opened up that high schoolers couldn't fill (school still in session). So he shipped early.

The DEP is good for basic USMC indoctrination, and it lets the recruiters keep tabs on the poolees.

That being said, I would focus on improving his scores. The Corps has plenty of Marines that are very good at martial arts. That is not really a huge asset for him, it helps and it shows that he is disciplined. But my point is he is not special.

He needs to improve his weakness, or maybe it was a bad test - either way he needs to improve his score if he wants any future in the Marine Corps, especially down the road a sniper. The test scores for that occupation are Google-able - but trust me they don't take slow learners.

Good luck, send him here to get the basics down. Then get him an ASVAP book and let him have at it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post

I would focus on improving his scores.

He needs to improve his score if he wants any future in the Marine Corps,

especially down the road a sniper.
    The test scores for that occupation are Google-able -
    but trust me they don't take slow learners.

Good luck, send him here to get the basics down.
    Then get him an ASVAP book and let him have at it.
    Agreed WOOK,
    i might transpose that last sentence..

get him an ASVAP book and let him have at it.
    send him here to get the basics down.
    Good luck,

IRONY,
    i found an early, commercial study guide for the pre enlistment test
    while searching old gear i had in storage...

TMO would be well advised to have his brother spend his time studying to
    improve the first test scores,,,,,"Think he's able to re-test" after 2 years ?
    They usually have TEST Study Guides at School, High School,Public Librarys.
    It shouldn't be much of a task to get more than ample material to study.

Practicing ANY TEST, improves your ability to take a test..

Have him sign up, go through the registration process. And then read these threads:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...NG-MARINES-TOO!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...-Survival-Tips

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...n-Factors-Main

And watch this vide0: http://marines.com/videos/-/video-li...REVALUES_FB_MV

Tell him to save his questions about snipers until he can pass the test with a score that allows him to be selected to start the process of earning the title of Marine Sniper. In other words, focus on the target that is right in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

Practicing ANY TEST, improves your ability to take a test..
    Absolutely. Well said.

You have a misconception about the DEP. The DEP is not only focused on physical training. There are classes at poolee meetings on essential Marine Corps subjects such as the rank structure, general orders, USMC history, etc. These subjects are taught later in bootcamp so if you know them already the academics in bootcamp should be easier (that's the theory anyway). In addition, as a poolee, you beging to understand the concept of teamwork and esprit de corps which are emphasized at bootcamp. So, to answer your question, the DEP can be beneficial to your brother (other than just physical training).

His ASVAB is alright, his line scores will really place him in certain MOS's. The DEP will help you learn knowledge, which will be pounded into your head anyways, and physically make you stronger for what you will endure. My RSS PT was actually harder then boot. So he can learn the rank, leadership traits, hyme.....but trust me.....you will be screaming it ALL DAY EVERYDAY and those who dont know it will know it by the time yall test on it.

Thread Information