The one Marine I'd like to find
Create Post

The one Marine I'd like to find

The one Marine I'd like to find was SDI SSGT Rushing, Plt 339 of 336 beginning July 7, 1961 and grad Oct 1961. My family never came to grad and I was one of two that happened to in the series. He found me sitting in the barracks, very mixed emotions. He looked like Clark Gable with a gruff voice. I had pressed all the trops for the platoon. He sat next to me and for thirty minutes became the father I lost a year and a half before. He said go for OCS and that I was going to make a fine Marine. He kept me together that day. I'd like to thank him or his family.

Pvt Thearle J. Lacey 1970306

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hope you do find him Brother .
    Someone on the forum mentioned a while back that there is a Drill Instructors registry/website on the Internet.

I will see if I can find the post here for you with the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    I hope you do find him Brother .
    Someone on the forum mentioned a while back that there is a Drill Instructors registry/website on the Internet.

I will see if I can find the post here for you with the link.
    Looks like our Brother needs to fill out his profile, East or West Coast DI Association is a start, Semper Fidelis.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No it's correct Ronnie, all of it Brother. Sad, sad story.

Also the OP is a Parris Island Marine so his DI is east coast.

Another point; it's been so long I don't think it would hurt. SSGT Rushing was really UP on winning the drill competition. He wanted things perfect and he wanted us to bring home the title. Hour after hour, step after step, we drilled. came the competition day, everything clicked. We 'hit it.' You know, it was one of those moments when you knew you were the best. Well, when we found out we didn't win, it was quite a shocker and we thought going back to the barracks it was butt chewing time.

Rushing had us sit on the floor and looked at each of us. He started by saying we should be proud of ourselves for we proved to everyone we were the best. Then came the bigger shock. He quietly apologized to us. He said as far as everyone was concerned, we had the title, except for one GY/SGT. It appears that they had all gone out and hit the slop shut. Now it was never said it became physical, but Rushing stated emphatically that it was HIS fault we lost. The GY/SGT was the one who cost us the title and here was our SDI being quite a Marine and telling us that. So, between the two instances, that moment and his time with me, I had met a man I highly respected and admired. I don't want to pat him on the back. I want to know if he won the "argument." It was supposed to be a beaut.
    Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Some folks just come on to talk I guess?

SHAME he doesn't fill out his profile
    and he'd probibly get a little more help.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ??? He has a complete and full profile. I don't know why you cannot see it.

Thread Information