What is a better job after the Marines, aviation mechanic or aviation technician?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member HBEmily's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

What is a better job after the Marines, aviation mechanic or aviation technician?

Hi. My boyfriend has to choose which MOS he wants today, aviation mechanic or technician. He believes that the technician will make more money as a civilian. Does anybody know or have personal experience on which is a better choice? All he knows is that the technician takes 7 months training and the mechanic takes 3. (what are the pros and cons of each? who gets deployed more often? Etc?)

Thanks so much
    -emily

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Curious why your BF isnt on here asking these questions?

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Hmm, maybe you/he mean maintenance and avionics. Technician? Ordnance technician or possibly electrical systems tech.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?81503-Aviation-Mechanic-School

http://www.marines.com/being-a-marin...ft-maintenance

http://www.marines.com/being-a-marin...ement/avionics

He need to make this call,,not you. Marines like initiative, he shyould research and talk to his recruiter to make the call - maybe others will have more to say abou it

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    Curious why your BF isnt on here asking these questions?

Exactly

Credits
    Savings
    Oh sorry, he is making the initiative and meeting his recruiter today but I wanted to get my own opinions from you Marines if you had differing opinions or experience from the recruiter that he could compare, I'm sorta the type who worries/cares a lot. All of my research had info from 4 yrs ago and wondering if anything has changed since then. He doesn't know that I'm asking this. Thanks for the links and help, And sorry if I'm being a bad girlfriend by asking my own questions on his behalf

Last edited by Rocky C; 06-07-12 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Marines not Guys.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No problem Emily.

You are taking some good steps to help your Boyfriend while he is working and asking questions with his recruiter.

All Great qualities in a Girlfriend.

That's why we are here, to help all.

No harm no foul; just shows you care. If I had a GF, I would want one with the nerve to get on a USMC website and ask questions. Kind of a short fuse though when you need an answer the same day you ask the questions (try to give us more time next time).

Never had any experience with either MOS so won't be able to help. My best friend was a helicopter engine repairman and he has had exceptional success in the aviation field after he retired from the USMC. Of course, he did complete a 4 year university degree which helped him advance from the shop to systems designs and analysis with a major helicopter manufacturer.

One more suggestion whenever you visit our site. We went to bootcamp and earned the title Marine so please refer to us as Marines and not guys.

Good luck to you and your BF. Please let us know how his MOS works out for him.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    No problem Emily.

You are taking some good steps to help your Boyfriend while he is working and asking questions with his recruiter.

All Great qualities in a Girlfriend.

That's why we are here, to help all.
    Yay I'm very happy you said that. Thank you. I think I'm not such a bad girlfriend haha. Thanks for helping others that is just awesome

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    No harm no foul; just shows you care. If I had a GF, I would want one with the nerve to get on a USMC website and ask questions. Kind of a short fuse though when you need an answer the same day you ask the questions (try to give us more time next time).

Never had any experience with either MOS so won't be able to help. My best friend was a helicopter engine repairman and he has had exceptional success in the aviation field after he retired from the USMC. Of course, he did complete a 4 year university degree which helped him advance from the shop to systems designs and analysis with a major helicopter manufacturer.

One more suggestion whenever you visit our site. We went to bootcamp and earned the title Marine so please refer to us as Marines and not guys.

Good luck to you and your BF. Please let us know how his MOS works out for him.
    Haha I will admit I'm very nervous asking questions on a Marine website. I tried to study it before doing so since I seen the bashings on other newbie's questions (i.e. make sure to list myself as "friend" not spouse, capitalize the 'm' in Marine, fill out my profile, have a picture, not use internet abbreviations like: lol) You Marines are a tough crowd to impress:/ And are quite intimidating.. haha. Sorry about the wrong referring word. Next time I hope I wont make any errors.

sorry about the last minute question, I wish my boyfriend were to have told me earlier about today's meeting with his recruiter so I could've asked this question earlier.
    Thank you for your information about your friend, I told my boyfriend and he didn't think about college after the Marines but he said he will think about it now

just got off the phone with him, he's decided on being an Aviation technician because the training is more intense and longer so he hopes to be challenged more than the mechanic MOS. Hopefully he gets this mos when he gets to his MOS school because I hear that nothing is set in stone and it can be changed when he gets there. crossing my fingers that it all works out:]

-Emily

Last edited by HBEmily; 06-07-12 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo

Actually, my best friend completed his BS degree in aviation management while he was still on active duty (as did I and with the same major). We both used tuition assistance which means we did not pay a dime for our degrees.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Actually, my best friend completed his BS degree in aviation management while he was still on active duty (as did I and with the same major). We both used tuition assistance which means we did not pay a dime for our degrees.
    Oh good to know, I forgot about that option, thanks

There are plenty of professional military and civilian educational opportunities for active duty Marines as well as financial aid and other resources available. Of course, the mission comes first and then if there is time, effort can be put toward educational or other goals. It requires a lot of personal sacrafice as off-duty education means going to class at night and on weekends (leaving little time for anything besides work and school). But, like everything else in life, the sacrafice and hard work eventually pays dividends.

Thread Information