“There were times when I thought I wasn’t going to make it and I just wanted to go home,” said Mike Mobley, who spent 63 days walking from Highlands Ranch, Colo., to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C. Mobley’s 2,120-mile journey started as an item on his bucket-list. With two sons serving in the military, his expedition took on a whole new meaning when he dedicated the walk to help raise military awareness and gather donations for military foundations.
“There was a time when our military’s sacrifices were on the front page of the newspapers,” Mobley said. “There are still people overseas fighting and getting killed and all you see on the front page is gossip—human sacrifice has been moved to page 8.”
Dubbed Operation Hero Trek, news of Mobley’s endeavor spread like wild fire and contributions started pouring in.
“Everything goes completely to the foundations; we’re not keeping anything for ourselves,” Mobley said. “We’ve been supporting Adaptive Adventures, The Fisher House Foundation, The Greatest Generations Foundation, The Wounded Warrior Project and various other military foundations.”
Along the way Mobley said he was amazed by the support he received from random strangers. It re-energized his faith in American patriotism and helped him realize people actually still care about their country, he said.
“At one point this guy just came running up to me and handed me money for donations. He heard about the walk on the news or something and just to be able to have complete strangers come out and support the walk renewed my faith in America.”
On average, 2000 steps is equivalent to one mile. Mobley left Highlands Ranch March 24, so when he made it to his final destination of Camp Lejeune, May 25, his weathered boots hit the ground nearly 4,240,000 times—“Thank god it’s over,” he laughed.
Mobley made it to Lejeune one day prior to his son Sgt. James R. Mobley, infantry team leader, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, coming home from Afghanistan. He ended the final 4.9 miles of the trek with members of 2/9 that had not deployed, along with numerous other military families.
Maj. Gen. John A. Toolan, commanding general, 2nd Marine Division, presented Mobley with a challenge coin and thanked him for the awareness he raised on his journey.
“What the Mobley family just did is truly remarkable, and as I mentioned to Mike earlier, it goes to show that there are people out there that really do appreciate and care what our service members do,” Toolan said.
Mobley chuckled when he was asked if he plans on doing another walk. “Not for now,” he said.
He does have some other ideas like climbing various peaks in the Rocky Mountains, but wants to continue working within the community to raise military awareness. As for now, he’s focused on resting his feet and sleeping in his own bed, he said.
“Nobody thought I was going to make it. And for those who doubted me, I have nothing to say to them—I made it,” Mobley said. “I could have quit and gone home anytime I wanted to but all I had to do was think about the men and women who are overseas who don’t get to go home. I did this for them and they deserve the recognition for their service; not me.”

Semper Fi to this Marine's Dad.... you do us proud!