How likely am I to get a waiver for myopia?
Create Post

How likely am I to get a waiver for myopia?

I went to MEPs on Tuesday and took my ASVAB. I got a 91 on the ASVAB and everything was good on my medical except for my eyesight. I have a pretty strong prescription, they chalked me down as -8.25 in one eye and -9.25 in the other. I have read the DoD stance on this 1,000 times, I know -8.00 is disqualifying, especially since I was temporarily disqualified. The doctor at MEPs told me I should be fine, and so did one of the ladies that processed me at medical. But how likely am I to actually get approval from the waiver from BUMED? I'm correctable to 20/20 but I was chalked down as 20/400 without correction. Any real knowledgeable answers would be appreciated.

Since none of us are physicians at BUMED nobody here can answer that question. Good luck and let us know what they say.

This thread is closed until you complete your profile. Read the rules concerning LN.Com. When you complete your profile, PM me or any of the other Squad Leaders / Moderators and they can unlock the thread.

Thread Opened.

My vision was just about as bad as yours and I enlisted but that was in the late 60s. Your issue is going to be the fact there are still droves of people waiting to join that do not require any waivers. Your best bet is to hang in there and wait to see if the waiver is approved.

If not and if your vision is stable, check if you can enlist after having lasik or some other vision correction surgery.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Last edited by DrZ; 06-05-12 at 07:14 AM.

Thread Information