5/25/2012 By Lance Cpl. Erik S. Brooks Jr. , Marine Corps Bases Japan

CAMP SCHWAB, OKINAWA, Japan — Gunnery Sgt. John A. Basilone is an American Hero and a Marine Corps legend who received the Medal of Honor and Navy Cross during World War II.

Today, the Marine Corps honors his memory by annually awarding a deserving Marine with the Gunnery Sergeant John A. Basilone Award for Courage and Commitment.

Gunnery Sgt. John S. Mosser, a platoon sergeant with 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, was awarded the prestigious award during a ceremony at Camp Schwab May 3.

“It is a tremendous honor to be given this award, which symbolizes such a great Marine that is John Basilone,” Mosser said.

Mosser, from Dripping Springs, TX. joined the Marine Corps in October 1995 and attended recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. Mosser has deployed three times in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and twice in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Mosser was awarded the Navy Cross, the Navy and Marine Corps’ second-highest award, for his actions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom June 26, 2008. His other personal awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon (2nd award) and Good Conduct Medal (3rd award).

“This award is only given to one noncommissioned officer a year. That includes all job fields throughout the whole Marine Corps,” said Sgt. Maj. Stacey J. Holcomb, the 3rd Recon. Bn. sergeant major. “It is a major accomplishment for Gunnery Sgt. Mosser to be selected.”

The recipient of the award is selected by a special committee at Headquarters Marine Corps.

Before the committee selected Mosser, he was first nominated by his battalion.

“The battalion selected Gunnery Sgt. Mosser because of his outstanding leadership, work ethic and (unselfish attitude),” said Holcomb. “He embodies the Corps’ values of honor, courage and commitment every day.”

During the ceremony Mosser credited his platoon sergeant as a junior Marine, who won the award in 2006 and mentored young Mosser as a Marine.

“As a junior Marine, my platoon sergeant taught me how to be a stellar Marine and a great leader,” said Mosser. “Throughout my career, I have tried to emulate him and follow in his footsteps.”

Lt. Col. Travis L. Homiak, the commanding officer of 3rd Recon. Bn., presented the award to Mosser in front of a crowd of friends and fellow Marines.

“This award is about a Marine’s concept of service of self and their ability to demonstrate courage in the face of adversity,” said Homiak. “Gunnery Sgt. Mosser displayed these qualities every day. I am honored to present this award to him. He is very deserving of this distinction.”

Gunnery Sgt. Mosser, throughout his career, exhibited the Corps’ qualities that make a great leader, said Homiak.

“It means an enormous amount to me to win this award,” said Mosser. “My whole existence as a Marine is to be that Marine that saves lives and helps the next generation of Marines with their careers. I hope that someday one of my Marines whom I have mentored will follow in my footsteps.”
http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcbjapan...x#.T79-glIdDSc