Left-Handed Poolee
Create Post

Left-Handed Poolee

I was wondering if there were any left-handed Marines out there who could shed some light on my upcomming journey through bootcamp. Most importantly the rirle range, I know the M-16 was designed for right-handed shooters(like any other rifle) If any of you could give me some insight as to your experiences being left-handed in bootcamp and even your time in the Corps, it would be much appreciated.
    Ship Date: 20090126 MCRDSD

I'm a lefty.... well ambidextrous. When I was on the rifle range I shot everything from my right except I shot kneeling with the left. Instructors thought it was weird but I'm still and expert shooter. Being left or right handed won't interfere with anything. You will still write and eat with the left hand. My instructors never made me to it with my off hand. Also when it come to shooting the coaches will show you how to do everything with the left hand as well. You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevron77 View Post
    I was wondering if there were any left-handed Marines out there who could shed some light on my upcomming journey through bootcamp. Most importantly the rirle range, I know the M-16 was designed for right-handed shooters(like any other rifle) If any of you could give me some insight as to your experiences being left-handed in bootcamp and even your time in the Corps, it would be much appreciated.
    Ship Date: 20090126 MCRDSD
    You can shoot with whichever hand you choose.
    Before you even see live rounds you will have plenty of dry fire and instruction time to work out the details of how you choose to operate.

The M249, M240, and Mk153 are all fired from the right regardless off your personal orientation.

You can fire lefthanded, just hold your rifle upside down.

Why would you think being left handed would change anything for you in bootcamp? Firing a rifle is not dictated by what hand you primarily use to eat and write with but rather which eye is more dominant. You can do everything right handed but if your left eye is more dominant, then guess which hand you're pulling that trigger with?

If you do end up shooting left handed, the only difference will be you will have the spent brass ejecting in front of your face as apposed to your right. It's really not a big deal and as long as you stay focused while firing, it shouldn't come in to play.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm left handed but my dominant eye is my right. I always shot right handed. Having coached it is kinda funny watching someone in the early stages going against their dominant eye. For instance a shooter positioned as a right hander trying to line up the sites with his left eye. The A-2 and above has a built in brass deflector so hot brass on your neck is possible but not likely shooting left handed. You do manipulate the selector lever and magazine release slightly different as a lefty but you wouldn't know and wouldn't really care how the right handers do it unless you are a coach or PMI somewhere in the future. You will be shown the best way to do it. If you are left handed and right eyed you will probably have to learn to shoot right handed. With both eyes open form a small window with your hands and line the window up on any object... close one eye open it then close the other. Your dominant eye is looking at the object and your your non dominant eye is looking at your hand. There are people who subconciously cheat on this little test so have someone observe you. Some people will actually move the window so that their non dominant eye can see the object. They don't even realize they are doing it and might erroneosly come away with the conclusion that they do not have a dominant eye. The only person I have ever heard about that did not have a dominant eye was Kim Peek. That's another story. Good luck to you and remember the Marines have been training marksmanship for over 200 years and we're pretty good at it.

Thanks a lot Marines. I knew the Marines would have a solution to me being left-handed, after all they're the trigger pullers in the world, I was just curious as to how it go down I guess. Sgt. Bulkyer I'm certain that my right eye is more dominant so it looks like the left-handed firing position might be out of the question afterall.

good test to find out which eye is dominant.

hold your arm straight out in front of you,with thumb up in front of your face.close your left eye,keep your right eye open then vice versa and whichever eye your thumb moves is your non dominant eye. I am a left handed shooter and my left eye is dominant,so when i close my right eye my thumb does not move.

the brass isn't really a bad problem,it might hit your arm but your sleeves down anyway so it doesn't affect you.but the 249 and 240 will be fired righty regardless (which isn't a big deal at all) like previously stated.

I was wrong then Pfc. Cwalling. I guess I'm left-handed and left eye dominant. Thank god, not that I'm experienced in this field, but shooting a bigger weapon like the 249 or 240 wouldn't be that bad to shoot righty because it's more burst type of fire, but to shoot accurately with an M-4, M-16 or my personal favorite the M-14 I would be more comfortable shooting lefty I think, but hey like the Corps teaches "Adapt, Overcome, Endure" and I shall. I appreciate your personal insight Pfc. you've really answered a lot of my questions.

hey no problem man,yea the machine guns HAVE to be shot righty because if you didn't,you'd be getting a whole lotta hot ass brass in your face and arms. it's not hard to get used too at all.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling View Post
    hey no problem man,yea the machine guns HAVE to be shot righty because if you didn't,you'd be getting a whole lotta hot ass brass in your face and arms. it's not hard to get used too at all.
    Hey walling, how your training with your dog coming along, he got you trained yet?

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    Hey walling, how your training with your dog coming along, he got you trained yet?
    Are you saying the dog could outrank him,lol?

According the self proclaimed world's best gun expert, armorer and sniper, Will Hayden-USMC, the star of the Sons of Guns reality show and owner of Red Jacket Firearms states, "Just shoot right handed. It was good enough for the Marine Corps for 200 years."

When on the range try to be on the left side of firing line #1target so you will not catch anymore brass then you need to. WOW, built in brass deflector do they work??? If not you can always make your own. Just remenber LEFTYs have rights too, LOL

Honestly, as a righty but a lefty shooter I've always felt more comfortable just carrying and using my rifle as a lefty. The only problem you should run into is during mag changes, but it's never been so bad I've had saved rounds on a range, so nothing to worry about.

Not to mention you'll be the best friend to the guy to the right of you as it'll be harder to give them hot brass.

Thread Information