No calls
Closed Thread

Thread: No calls

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

No calls

I originally got in touch with a marine recruiter about 4 months ago. And everything was going pretty well for a while, then it just kind of hit a stand still. Now whenever I call my recruiter he won't answer and the one time he did answer, he said in a hurry, "Let me call you back in about 2 hours." I do understand that he is a recruiter and he is probably stretched thin but it has been 2 months now and I still can't get any answer about anything. I got a 68 on my ASVAB, I feel as though I could have gotten better but he told me that was good so I shouldn't try to take it again. So I was thinking maybe it was because I was diagnosed with asthma before and I needed a waiver but I thought he would have just told me if I just couldn't in. I feel as though I was misdiagnosed anyway. I was 21 when I was diagnosed by a pediatrician. I was just dehydrated because I didn't have good workout practices. I guess my question here is, what should I do? I want to be a Marine! But, I don't like being stuck in limbo. I want some sort of answer about if I can get in, or I can't. Is there any other paper I need to fill out...just something. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get answers?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First off fill out your profile as site rules mandate.

Thread Closed until profile is completed.

Contact any Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is completed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Profile completed, thread now reopened.

Although not your fault at the time, you were diagnosed with asthma. It is apparently in your medical history somewhere. As far as I know, this is an automatic DQ. Marines have to be able to breathe, and even though it was a mis-diagnosis...it's in the record. I am not at all sure that it is waiverable. My step-son has asthma, and it is his goal to graduate from high school and become a Marine. I spoke to my son's recruiter (my son ships 10/29) and he said it doesn't look good for my step-son due to the asthma, which was in his early childhood, but is considered a permanent condition. I wish I had better news for you, but I do wish you luck with this.

There is such a thing known as childhood asthma that kids can outgrow.

You say your diagnosis occurred at 21, though, so that's not childhood asthma.

No doctors on this site, so we cannot advise you in that regard.

Whenever I wanted to do something, join the Marine Corps, get a job, apply for a position, the one thing I did not do was pick up the phone, call, and ask about it.

I went in person face to face, number one. And number two, I was persistent, yet also respectful. Went to apply for a job once. The owner said I was too young. I indicated I knew others in the same line of work who were my age. He said he didn't have time to train me. I told him I was a quick learner. He said he needed somebody who was not afraid of hard work. I told him I love to work hard. He told me to come back that evening and work for free. I did so. He came in four hours later and asked the guy who was working how I worked out. He said ask him, he's cleaning toilets. The owner told me to come back the next day and work for free. I did. He hired me.

That mentality is not present much anymore, but I recommend if you want this, stop calling, go down in person and ask pertinent questions regarding your asthma situation and whether if a second diagnosis clearing up the issue could assist.

Asthma is a disqualifier; however, there can be unique circumstances.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was diagnosed at the age of 10. But thank you everyone for your advice I went in and got it all handled.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorMind View Post
    I was 21 when I was diagnosed by a pediatrician.
    What a shame it is when a person does not recall what they said the day before, a mere 6 posts ago -- tells ya something doesn't it.

Good luck

Thread Information