Parris Island and San Diego
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Parris Island and San Diego

Hello everyone, quick question here. If I were to be recruited from the Westcoast, can I still go to Parris Island? I had a friend from back in high school on the Westcoast and he went to Parris Island, but everyone else went to San Diego. I was just curious is all, I was hoping to go to Parris Island because my father went there back in 1977, but in the end it doesn't matter... What matters is if you became a Marine or not! Thanks for the responses.
    ~A1C Cooper

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by AirmanCooper View Post

because my father went there

Those words get you there.

they'll get you trained in MCRDSD if you live on the east coast
    and they'll get you trained @ MCRDPI if you live on the west coast.

Call it family tradition if you will....
    At least that's the way it used to be...

USMC * 1963...............................

Younger Marines will give a different answer if the
    conditions have changed.........

P.S.good luck "zoomie."
    (kidding)

At least busting your cookies early.....

Credits
    Savings
    In some cases yes. I new a Marine who was from Delaware who went to SD
    because PI did not have a new series starting for over a month, and he wanted
    to go right a way, and SD had a series starting with in two weeks. This was in
    back 2000, if they did it then I think they could do it now.

Alright cool, glad to know there's a good chance of me being able to follow my father's footsteps and go to PI. Thanks everyone!

From what I have heard you need to have someone who is currently active duty on this coast in order to get you to go to mcrdpi and they have to request it. You can't request it yourself and even then it isn't a given. Semper gumby better be ready to switch your plans on the fly.

Example at Parris Island I received my mos 0261 I was told this mos school was 10 months long and because it was so long my wife would be able to move with me to my mos school and I could live off base. A Master Sergeant told me this so you would figure he would know what is up. The school is 7 months long and my wife is not able to move with me

So don't get it set in your head that you are going to Parris Island be glad you're getting your chance to go to either place. Yut Yut!

I heard recently that it is possible to do this through what they call the "Legacy" initiative. I guess if they can document that your father, or uncle, or any other family member went to a certain boot camp, you can request to go there, too. My son's recruiter was talking about this with a kid the other day while I was in his office, and he sounded pretty sure that he could make it happen. Sorry I don't have a more definite answer, but that is the intel I got.

Credits
    Savings
    Originally Posted by AirmanCooper

because my father went there

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

Those words get you there.

Call it family tradition if you will....

USMC * 1963...............................

Younger Marines will give a different answer if the
    conditions have changed.........

Munky needs a spanking- wtf jibberish are you answering to ?? are you replying to the right thread ?

YLD and me are talking the same thing/idea/

Tradition/Heritage/Legacy

it's just a matter of symantics

Yes silly I was mainly saying don't just assume everything you hear is truth there maybe some truth to what the 2 of you say heck I dont know. I do know that not everything you hear is what it is and I was giving my example as to just how true that is.

Hmmmmmmmm.... he wants to trade in Sun Glasses and Sun tan lotion as your standard issue for Sand Fleas and Swamps?

Interesting concept.

Yes, it can be done. We live in the Southwest and my oldest son is leaving for Parris Island in 2 weeks. He had to fill out a Legacy request as my husband and I both went to MCRD-PI. If this is something you are interested in, get your recruiter on it now because it took a few month for it to go through. The thing is there has to be a bed available at Parris Island for you to make it happen. Your dad will also need to locate his DD214 and write a letter on your behalf. Good luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Correct. Legacy Request, documentation from your Dad and a letter from him, You and Your recruiter.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone... So letters, Legacy request, and documentation... Got it! I have my dad's "bootcamp book" that he got afterwards from bootcamp, and it's got his picture in it... I'm sure it says he went to PI. Would that be enough proof? I'm sure my dad has other things, but that was the first thing that came to mind that would be easiet.

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanCooper View Post
    Thanks everyone... So letters, Legacy request, and documentation... Got it! I have my dad's "bootcamp book" that he got afterwards from bootcamp, and it's got his picture in it... I'm sure it says he went to PI. Would that be enough proof? I'm sure my dad has other things, but that was the first thing that came to mind that would be easiet.
    He'll need his DD214 which I am sure he has somewhere.

Alright, thank you Tun Tavern, and the rest of you Marines too!

Good luck finding a bed at Parris Island as Marines sleep in racks! It's called "Naval/nautical terminology". Just like we don't mop, we swab. We visit the head, not the bathroom/latrine, we drink out of a scuttlebutt not a water fountain, etc.

Thread Information