Do I need a legal name change?
Create Post

Do I need a legal name change?

My entire life I've gone by my last name, however, on my birth certificate it says my last name, then my mothers maiden name(I think out of our cultures tradition or something), meaning that when I enlisted my last name was recorded as my real last name, appended by my mother's maiden name. I probably didn't explain it well, so here's an example. My name is John Smith, and my mother's maiden name is Brown, so it the military now knows me as SmithBrown. Does this require a legal name change to get rid of or what do I need to do?

Most likely not but to the Marine Corps you are known as Smith Brown. If your birth certificate says Smith Brown you will be Smith Brown. Your name tapes assuming you make it will reflect. and it wont be spaced either itll be Smithbrown. You arent the first person to go through recruit training with 2 last names there killer a lot of people use only one name but you also better get used to signing everything smith brown. Yut!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your profile seems to indicate Spanish heritage. It's very normal for Hispanics to have a hyphenated last name. My ex-wife (Cuban) did and it reflected in her military records. However, she went by just her patronymic until we got married. Her names tags, etc, just had the one name.

Technically, in the US, your patronymic is your "official" last name when you need to pick just one. Your call if given the option, one name or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Her names tags, etc, just had the one name.
    So at the beginning of boot camp can I just choose to have only my patronymic on my uniform and whatnot, or can I do that at a later date?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    So at the beginning of boot camp can I just choose to have only my patronymic on my uniform and whatnot, or can I do that at a later date?
    As we never had name tags when I was in, I can't really answer that question. As far as I know, the Corps will automatically use your patronymic for those things.

Alright, thanks

Thread Information