Recruiter problems
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Recruiter problems

Hello I am currently a Poole and am having some trouble getting a ship date from my recruiter. In the most recent Poole function I preformed well and scored above the minimums in everything but the 1.5 mile run in which I did a 13:30 which is the bare minimum as I understand. I want a ship date in October, but he says he can not get me one until I run a 12:30 or less. Since I swore in about 2 months ago I have improved dramatically going from 3 pull ups to 8, and 50 crunches to over 80. What I am worried about is that if I can not get my run time up soon, I will be over looked for a good boot camp date and will be stuck waiting forever. I am in Kansas, and am aware that there is somewhat of a IST requirement change, but its almost like an un-written rule. I can find no formal documents to back up him holding me back from a boot camp date because of this. I don't know what to do, should I try to get a new recruiter? Any input would be nice.

Topic closed until a complete profile is filled out besides a first and last name....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    When you complete your profile, PM me and I will reopen the topic.

Topic reopened.

Keep in mind that these standards may have changed.

Marine Corps Initial Strength Test (IST)
    The Initial Strength Test (IST) for Recruits
    If you are thinking about joining the USMC, you will have to pass the IST (Initial Strength Test). The IST is a shortened version of the USMC PFT. A recruit only has to do pull-ups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run. The minimum standards for passing the Initial Strength Test are as follows:

Male
    - 2 Pull Ups
    - 35 Sit Ups (2 minutes)
    - 1.5 Mile Run - 13:30

Female
    - Flexed Arm Hang - 12 seconds
    - 35 Sit Ups (2 Minutes)
    - 1 Mile Run - 10:30

(Keep in mind that attending Boot Camp or any USMC training with only minimum standards will not serve you well to be a top performer. In fact, below average minimum standards create more problems for you with injuries, remedial PT/running programs, and distract you from learning your true job - being a Marine.)

http://www.military. com/military-fi...s-fitness-test

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, I have seen those IST requirements, however, my recruiter claims it has to be 12:30, and that he can not get me a boot camp date until I can do that. I am very nervous that I will lose out on a ship date and will be stuck waiting so long that my MEPS visit will no longer count. I did MEPS back in febuary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentll View Post
    Thanks, I have seen those IST requirements, however, my recruiter claims it has to be 12:30, and that he can not get me a boot camp date until I can do that. I am very nervous that I will lose out on a ship date and will be stuck waiting so long that my MEPS visit will no longer count. I did MEPS back in febuary.
    13:30 is 9 minute mile pace, pretty much walking if you ask me.

How bad do you want it?

Shaving a minute off a mile and a half run isn't that hard if you want it bad enough.

There are countless folks out there trying to get what you have, so don't worry, if you can't get that pace any faster -- somebody else will take your spot for sure.

Not trying to de-motivate you -- hope you see the point.

Credits
    Savings
    I see your point, however, it's not like I plan on not improving as time goes on. If I do end up getting the Oct ship date I want, that's 6 months from now, and if in just 2 months I've already come this far I don't see how I wouldn't come even farther. I just don't want to get screwed over for doing what the Marine Corps says is fine, but my recruiter says is not. I don't think recruiters have the power to change USMC policy.

Young man, you're going to find that things in the Marine Corps will change at any given time. When you hear Marines saying...Semper Gumby (always flexible.)
    Just becasue it's not a written order that you can't find, doesn't mean that recruiters can't enforce it. They have and they will.
    Now, not to come across as a smart a$$, but quit your complaining and go and get done what you need to get done with your run time. No one likes complainers, and complaining about it isn't going to get you nowhere. Prove to your recruiter that you can get your run time down to 12:30.

So, what are you waiting for.........get to it!

I just don't want to get screwed over for doing what the Marine Corps says is fine, but my recruiter says is not. I don't think recruiters have the power to change USMC policy.
    I can appreciate that, but keep in mind -- your portal to the USMC is your recruiter. So, while it's true that he does not have the power to change USMC policy -- he is also the only way you have to get in the USMC. So, it's what he says (as a recruiting representative of the USMC) or the highway.

Sure, you can get another recruiter, but what will you do if he/she says the same thing?

Frankly, I find it hard to believe in today's PC Corps that a recruiter is going to risk losing rank over making you do something that isn't in stone, or coming down the pipeline shortly.

So, as far as I can see you have two choices. 1. Believe the recruiter, beat the obstacle and make it happen. 2. Or go Army.

That is my input, good luck.

Hello I am currently a Poole and am having some trouble getting a ship date from my recruiter. In the most recent Poole function I preformed well and scored above the minimums in everything but the 1.5 mile run in which I did a 13:30 which is the bare minimum as I understand. I want a ship date in October, but he says he can not get me one until I run a 12:30 or less. I can find no formal documents to back up him holding me back from a boot camp date because of this. I don't know what to do, should I try to get a new recruiter? Any input would be nice.
    You want a ship date in October. You don't know what to do. Your recruiter says the key to getting a ship date is that YOU need to run 12:30.

Here's what you do: Get your run down to 12:30 and then ask for a ship date.

You say you can find no formal documents to back up him holding you back. He is NOT holding you back. You are. Get your run down to 12:30 and then ask for a ship date.

Should you get a new recruiter? That may backfire on you.

Now, to run a 12:30 1.5 mile means that you must run at an 8:20 pace. Frequently, when inexperienced runners go run for time, they go out running at a 5:00 pace for the first 1/4 mile, lactate up, start breathing like a race horse, and they hit the wall. By the time they are at 1/2 mile, they are just trying to survive.

Don't do that. I have no clue what you are doing for running right now, but my suggestion is whatever distance you are running, run that distance at a steady, consistent pace and increase it by 5 minutes each week until you build it up to 30 to 35 minutes. Don't run every day if you are not used to running every day. Run 4 days a week, something like M-W-F-Sat. Once a week, run on a track and do interval repeats at the pace slightly faster than what you need to sustain. First week, do 4 x 400. One lap around a track is 400 meters. Run at 8:00 pace which is 2 minutes per lap. That is SLOW. I do not want to be discouraging, but I runs my girls at 1:15 to 1:20 a lap. So a half lap is 1 minute. Between each 400, jog very easy for 90 seconds, and then repeat. On week two, do 5 x 400. Week 3 do 6 x 400.

If you run steady and consistent paces, you will build your aerobic capacity, and your time will come down. Then the next time you run 1.5, you will also know exactly what the pace feels like and not go out blazing fast only to die.

Good luck

Good Afternoon,
    This post drove me to create an account so that I may offer some guidance. I am an 8411 which is a canvassing recruiter. It has already been answered numerous times in this thread and by your recruiter on why you cannot ship. However you don't seem receptive of the solution you want to know the why. (By the way, in the Marine Corps you will almost never know the why in everything you do. Making a habit out of asking why would probably not be the wisest move.)
    I don't know this to be exactly why however it's very likely. Your recruiter has received guidance from above as to what they will be shipping. Even though you have the MINIMUM run time doesn't mean you are ready to ship. The first crucial step at MCRD is to pass the Initial Strength Test. With you having the bare minimum you are literally a roll of the dice to whether you will pass it or not. Your recruiter has to plan this accordingly meaning that he needs to pick the best poolees for shipping. While you want to ship in October and say you COULD improve enough by then, you COULD also get worse, get lazy now that you have a ship date, and be a IST failure which hurts you, hurts the recruiter and that recruiters entire command.
    By the way what is a good ship date for boot camp? Marine basic training has the same standards no matter when you go.
    One more thing I would like to note. Opportunity only knocks once. With the way things are now in Marine Corps Accessions if you decide to find another recruiter you will probably never come into the Corps. Most likely you will go to the next closest recruiter in your area thinking he is the solution. The truth is he/she works for the same command as your previous recuiter and is also under the same guidance as your old recruiter. WHAT THIS MEANS TO YOU is that now you are still slow but you have been discharged by another pool so the command will not trust you and will not want to work with you.

Hope this helps. Ultimately read the previous posts on how to improve your run and execute.

I am failing to see how this is a recruiter problem? Your recruiter says he needs you to be running a sub 12:30 run that's your problem not his. He isn't going to ship someone whom he doesn't think is going to make it.

Dont blame your recruiter because he isnt betting on a sure thing. You can read it all over the POOLEE hall apparently the it's standards are gettin tougher everything in the corps is getting tougher and you dont get to complain when you are running a 3rd class pft or cft.

Sounds like you need to get out running and need to do it ASAP.

My niece was just recently a poolee.

Her recruiter's CO adds a "fudge factor" to all the minimum IST scores for poolees in their district just to make sure they are not going to fail the IST at bootcamp. Most likely, this is what's happening in your case (and you're not going to find this in a formal document anywhere). Your recruiter is not just changing USMC policy; he is following his CO's orders. The CO has the perogative to raise the standards in his command (he does not have the perogative to lower USMC standards). Changing recruiters in the same district is not going to help you as they all have the same CO and will tell you the same thing.

So, the answer remains the same. If you want to ship, you know the minimum requirements. You'll either meet those requirements or not...simple. Remember, YOU are the one wanting to join our gun club. You have to play by OUR rules; not vice versa. If the minimum requirements are too tough on you consider switching over to the Army.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the input, I have been working on my run time since and have broken a 7 minute mile. Really more than anything I was just trying to gauge if my recruiter was being shady / screwing me over more than anything. I was just kind of thrown off when he said something that I couldn't find anything on.

Thanks for the input, I have been working on my run time since and have broken a 7 minute mile. Really more than anything I was just trying to gauge if my recruiter was being shady / screwing me over more than anything. I was just kind of thrown off when he said something that I couldn't find anything on.
    There you go. Sub 7 minute mile is a good starting point. And if you were able to shave that time down in a few weeks imagine what you can do in time, with max effort -- you are just scratching the surface of your potential.

I think the Marine Sgt. before me said it best with "(By the way, in the Marine Corps you will almost never know the why in everything you do. Making a habit out of asking why would probably not be the wisest move.)"

That statement is so true and locked on that it needed to be repeated. Stick that in your grape and remember it next time you want to ask why. Asking why is not a good trait in the USMC.

Don't get wrapped up in trying to figure out why -- just listen and be ready - for anything.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the motivation, this IST I did 11 pull-ups, but less crunches for some reason only 65 ( I think the angle at which I was doing them had to be different than i'm used to). But most importantly I got a 12:02 1.5 mile! Vomit was involved but I got it

Thread Information