Does Aviation Operations/ATC go out in the field frequently?
Create Post

Does Aviation Operations/ATC go out in the field frequently?

More than likely, I will ship out with my AJ - Aviation Operations job contract instead of my desired AG - Aircrew contract due to unlikely chance of more openings in the time span to my ship date.

I was wondering if Avaition Operations MOSs, like Air Traffic Controller, go out in the flight line sometimes and are possibly allowed to volunteer to become part of the aircrew once in awhile, or is it mostly/all POG work in an ATC tower?

Quote Originally Posted by LastXdeth View Post
    More than likely, I will ship out with my AJ - Aviation Operations job contract instead of my desired AG - Aircrew contract due to unlikely chance of more openings in the time span to my ship date. I was wondering if Avaition Operations MOSs, like Air Traffic Controller, go out in the flight line sometimes and are possibly allowed to volunteer to become part of the aircrew once in awhile, or is it mostly/all POG work in an ATC tower?
    Well if you are ATC you will be in a tower above it but generally no any MOS within the AJ field will not have anything to do with aircrew. However, plenty of MOS in this field go out in the field and conduct EMV, WTI, and all kind of exercises. I'm a 7242 myself and if you have any questions about the job feel free to ask. Be warned there is a good chance you may not even get ATC, I originally thought I was.

Well, I read that once you hit SNCO, you can act as a crew chief.

What are the typical duties of a 7242? What do you do on deployments?

Thanks for the reply!

You can be a crew chief...just not the type of crew chief you are thinking about(crew chief on a helo). In the command and control field of the 72xx, a crew chief is simply responsible for running that certain control agency.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Air_Support_Center As a 7242 you work in the DASC. The duties you are expected to preform are listed in that article. But as an Air support operator you will be using computer systems to plot information such as air space control measures, friendly and enemy units, where artillery is firing, etc. In addition to that you will be monitoring chat windows to pass vital information such as Medevacs, request for air by troops in contact, aircraft updates to different control agencies. You will be expected to perform the same functions over a radio and a combination of both.

Also, if you are really good you can control UAS(what u know as UAV) traveling through your airspace. I dont mean actually controlling like a UAS operator does but more like telling them where to transit and what altitude in order deconflict them from other aircraft and artillery fire. Thats what I did most of my deployment.

On a deployment you will work a set shift(mine was 8 hours), depends on your crew. You will work out a FOB and pretty much go on crew and do that everyday. You may get put on ECP duty and stand post but it depends.

Thread Information