Interservice transfer from enlisted Marine to Navy OCS
Create Post

Interservice transfer from enlisted Marine to Navy OCS

I'm a Sergeant in the Marines with about 6 years TIS and 2 years remaining on my current contract. I am trying to do an interservice transfer to Navy OCS. I have already spoken with a Navy officer recruiter and i'm fully qualified. Pending a board, the Navy will accept me into OCS. The only thing I need to add to my Navy OCS package is a conditional release form that the first O-6 in my chain of command needs to sign authorizing my release from my enlisted Marine Corps contract to receive a commission in the Navy.

My chain of command will not sign the conditional release and they're telling me that I can apply for Navy OCS when I EAS from the Marines and no sooner. I refuse to accept that as an answer and I have found DOD Instruction 1332.14, Enclosure 3, Section 2A, Paragraph 3 which states "A Service member may be separated for the following reasons: Acceptance of an active duty commission or appointment, or acceptance into a program leading to such commission or appointment in any branch of the Military Services."

I have been unable to find any sort of MCO on the subject. Does anyone know if a MCO on the subject exists? Has anyone gone through this process before?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    I'm a Sergeant in the Marines with about 6 years TIS and 2 years remaining on my current contract. I am trying to do an interservice transfer to Navy OCS. I have already spoken with a Navy officer recruiter and i'm fully qualified. Pending a board, the Navy will accept me into OCS. The only thing I need to add to my Navy OCS package is a conditional release form that the first O-6 in my chain of command needs to sign authorizing my release from my enlisted Marine Corps contract to receive a commission in the Navy.

My chain of command will not sign the conditional release and they're telling me that I can apply for Navy OCS when I EAS from the Marines and no sooner. I refuse to accept that as an answer and I have found DOD Instruction 1332.14, Enclosure 3, Section 2A, Paragraph 3 which states "A Service member may be separated for the following reasons: Acceptance of an active duty commission or appointment, or acceptance into a program leading to such commission or appointment in any branch of the Military Services."

I have been unable to find any sort of MCO on the subject. Does anyone know if a MCO on the subject exists? Has anyone gone through this process before?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Who told you that? Cite the regulation as necessary. Submit your DD-368, with your Navy Officer recruiter's endorsement. Actually I think that is a requirement. Request Mast as necessary.

I am not going from Marines to Navy. However I am in the Air National Guard working on a Warrant Officer package for the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7051 View Post
    Who told you that? Cite the regulation as necessary. Submit your DD-368, with your Navy Officer recruiter's endorsement. Actually I think that is a requirement. Request Mast as necessary.

I am not going from Marines to Navy. However I am in the Air National Guard working on a Warrant Officer package for the Army.
    Company CO told me this. Apparently DOD Instructions don't matter in the Marine Corps.

Is there a MCO which outlines this matter?

Request Mast.

I was always under the impression that if you've got your Degree, and your packet is ready to go, regardless of your Enlisted Contract, you should be good to go to apply for OCS. Guess that's no longer the case. Is there another 0-6 you could possibly go to?

I agree, request mast.

Although before you do. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Do all your research. Like a trial lawyer stepping to defend his client. In fact not a bad idea to seek legal counsel before you do.

I concur with the others, request mast. It has to be handled within 24 hours.

It is your right as a Marine, and you cannot be retaliated against for doing so.

Any interference with your attempt to request mast and any act or attempt of reprisal against you for attempting to do so is expressly prohibited and is punishable under the UCMJ.

I don't know much about the program you're talking about; regardless though, your command cant just "not sign" it. Your request is just that, your request. Since your command is not the approving authority all they can do is recommend, so the CO's endorsement will say "not recommended" or words to that effect. Chances of getting it without a positive command endorsement are slim to none, but regardless, you command cannot "disapprove" your request.

Look in the separations manual, I believe there is a paragraph talking about something similar to what your looking at. I don't know what paragraph off hand but it should be in there somewhere.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You as a Sergeant can walk in the 1st Sgts office and discuss this matter with him. If you pit yourself against your command citing rules and regulations you are gonna lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinbo View Post
    You as a Sergeant can walk in the 1st Sgts office and discuss this matter with him. If you pit yourself against your command citing rules and regulations you are gonna lose.

Interservice Transfer

Interesting that you are doing this as well. I am also a Sgt with about 6 years TIS and I am trying to apply to OCS as well. The MCO is P1900.16F look at 6404.1. It talks about the only thing that an active duty enlisted Marine will be released for is Warrant Officer Programs and Commissioning programs. MMSR-3 is your point of contact for the Marine Corps paper work side of the house. Good luck and I'll probably be looking for you in order to get some pointers on the other stuff. I want to be a Marine Corps Officer, but my tattoos preclude me from doing so, which means I am going to have to find a branch that is a little more lenient on the tattoo's.

Thread Information