Thinking about being a Marine Corps Drill Instructor...
Create Post

Lightbulb Thinking about being a Marine Corps Drill Instructor...

Well, its time for me to make a decision. The monitor told me I'd be a perfect candidate for Marine Security Guard Duty, Recruiting Duty or OF COURSE Drill Instructor Duty! I'm new on here because I really need some advice. Doing MSG in Europe or Central/South America would ROCK! Recruiting in or near my home town would also be LOADS of fun to be with my family and friends....But I want to go to DI School?!?!?!? Am I crazy?!?!? I LOVE to PT and I have so much respect for my Drill Instructors, they made me the Marine I am. Being the 21st Century Warrior, did a Internet search for DI School San Diego and I found all the Bios of the DI School Staff. Incase you didn't know they were online I posted them here with links. AWESOME! Tell me what you think!

http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mc...Bios/DICO.aspx

Drill Instructor School Director
    Major Paul M. Ghiozzi, USMC

Major Paul Ghiozzi enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1993 and upon completion of Recruit Training at Parris Island, South Carolina and School Of Infantry, North Carolina he served as a Infantry Rifleman for Bravo Company 1st Battalion, 25th Marines. Following his enlisted training he was selected for Platoon Leaders Class, Officer Candidates School and having completed his undergraduate education in the Corps of Cadets at Norwich University Military College with a bachelor’s degree, Cum Laude, he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Marine Corps in 1996. Following The Basic School, Quantico, Virginia and the Field Artillery Officer Basic Course, Fort Sill, Oklahoma, in 1997 he was an Artillery Officer assigned to India Battery, 3d Battalion, 11th Marines, Twenty-Nine Palms, California, serving as a Forward Observer, Gun’s Platoon Commander, and Battery Executive Officer all while participating in various exercises at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, the Middle East and on the Unit Deployment Program in Japan. In 2000, Major Ghiozzi was transferred to the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Special Operations Capable, Camp Pendleton, California, where he served as the Target Information Officer and the Fire Support Officer. Major Ghiozzi conducted 2 deployments aboard the USS BOXER and USS BELLEAU WOOD in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa and 1 tour in Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom. Selected for Career Level School at Expeditionary Warfare School in 2003, Major Ghiozzi was a student for a year before graduating and returning to Camp Pendleton, California, where he took command of Fox Battery 2d Battalion, 11th Marines. He deployed as Battery Commander on the Unit Deployment Program to Okinawa and conducted exercises in Japan and Thailand. Upon returning from Okinawa, Japan, Major Ghiozzi reported to Expeditionary Warfare Training Group Pacific in 2006 for duty as a Staff Planning Instructor and the Naval Gunfire Branch Head. He also completed his master’s degree, Cum Laude, from Norwich University School of Graduate Studies in 2008. Major Ghiozzi received follow-on orders to Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego in 2009 where he completed a billet as Battalion Executive Officer at 1st Recruit Training Battalion before being selected to serve as the Director of Drill Instructor School in 2010. In 2011 Major Ghiozzi volunteered to be an Individual Augment and received orders to Central Command Tampa, Florida. Soon after arriving at MacDill Air Force Base he forward deployed to Afghanistan where he served in a joint billet as the Counter-Narcotics Team Leader for Task Force Shafafiyat “The Trasparency” a International Security Assistance Force counter corruption cell. Upon completion of his Operation Enduring Freedom tour Major Ghiozzi redeployed back to San Diego and the Director position at Drill Instructor School. Major Ghiozzi’s personal decorations include the Joint Commendation Medal and Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with gold star in lieu of second award.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mc...di/CptBio.aspx

Drill Instructor School Assistant Director
    Captain Christopher J. Buscemi, USMC

Captain Christopher Buscemi was born in West Islip, New York and was raised in Morgan City, Louisiana and Manteo, North Carolina. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and attended Recruit Training in June 1996 at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina.Following recruit training, Captain Buscemi completed training at the School of Infantry and Marine Security Forces training. Captain Buscemi was assigned to the Marine Barracks Washington, 8th & I, and served as Corporal of the Guard while awaiting his security clearance. In July of 1997 Captain Buscemi was assigned to the Naval Support Facility, Thurmont, Maryland as a member of the Marine Security Company, Camp David. In 1998, after a successful tour at Camp David, Captain Buscemi was ordered to Camp Pendleton, California and served as a machine gun team leader while assigned to Weapons Platoon, Company B, First Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment. In June of 2000 Captain Buscemi was honorably discharged from the Marine CorpsCaptain Buscemi reported to the Basic School in June of 2005 after completing his undergraduate degree in Aerospace Studies at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Arizona. Following the completion of the Basic School and the Logistics Officer Course, he was assigned to Headquarters Company, First Marine Regiment in May of 2006. During this tour, Captain Buscemi served as Motor Transport Platoon Commander, Regimental Maintenance Management Officer and Regimental Motor Transport Officer and participated in various exercises and a unit deployment to the Anbar Province, Iraq.In June of 2009 Captain Buscemi reported to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego where he served as a Series Commander and Company Executive Officer with Company G. In March of 2010, he assumed command of Company H.Captain Buscemi currently serves as the Assistant Director of Drill Instructor School. Captain Buscemi’s personal awards include the Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2nd award)

http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mc...1stSgtBio.aspx

Drill Instructor School First Sergeant
    1stSgt Ronald L. Garrett, USMC

First Sergeant Ronald Garrett was born May 19, 1972 in Decatur, Alabama. He attended recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California in October 1990. He attended MCT in Camp Pendleton, California followed by Aviation Ordnance training in Memphis, Tennessee and Cherry Point, North Carolina where he received the MOS of 6541.
    In August of 1991, First Sergeant Garrett received orders to Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron (MALS) 12 aboard Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan were he served as an Aviation Ordnance Technician. After completing his tour in Iwakuni, First Sergeant Garrett received orders to MALS 39, Camp Pendleton, California. He completed one Unit Deployment to Okinawa, Japan while stationed with MALS-39.
    lace w:st="on">In June 1996 First Sergeant Garrett received orders to Marine Aviation Training Support Group 33 (MATSG), NAS Cecil Field, Florida. While at Cecil Field, First Sergeant Garrett was appointed as the Group Color Sergeant and served as the Production Control Supervisor for the Ordnance Division. In July 1999, NAS Cecil Field was placed on the Base Realignment and Closure list and was moved to NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, Virginia. While in Virginia Beach, First Sergeant Garrett remained appointed as the Group Color Sergeant and was named Marine of the Year 2000.
    In July of 2001 First Sergeant Garrett requested and received orders to Drill Instructor School, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California. First Sergeant Garrett attended class 4-01 and was the recipient of the Leadership Award. After graduation from Drill Instructor School, First Sergeant Garrett was assigned to Company G, Second Recruit Training Battalion. While assigned to Company G, First Sergeant Garrett served as Drill Instructor, Senior Drill Instructor and Series Chief Drill Instructor. In January 2004 he was promoted (meritoriously) to Gunnery Sergeant.
    In March of 2004 First Sergeant Garrett was selected as a member of the Drill Instructor School Staff. While at Drill Instructor School, he served as General Military Subjects Instructor, Drill Master, and Squad Instructor.
    In February 2005, First Sergeant Garrett volunteered as an Individual Augmentee in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. While in Iraq he served as the Ammunition Supply Point SNCOIC, Detachment A, Forward Operating Base, Al Taqaddum, Iraq. In February 2006 he returned to Drill Instructor School where he served as the Physical Fitness Instructor.
    First Sergeant Garrett was frocked to his present rank in January of 2007 and executed orders to 3d Marine Logistics Groups, Combat Logistics Regiment (CLR) 35 where he served as the Company First Sergeant for Ammunition Company. In January 2008 First Sergeant Garrett reported to the 31st MEU to serve as the Battalion Sergeant Major for Combat Logistics Battalion 31. In August 2008 First Sergeant Garrett reported back to CLR-35 to serve as the Company First Sergeant for Supply Company.
    In April 2009 First Sergeant Garrett was selected to serve on an Embedded Training Team (ETT) with Regional Corps Advisory Command 3-07. From July 2009 to April 2010 First Sergeant Garrett was deployed to Kunar Province, Afghanistan with ETT 7-5. In June 2010 First Sergeant Garrett reported to MCRD, San Diego where he was assigned as the Company First Sergeant for Fox Company and Battalion Sergeant Major for Second Recruit Training Battalion. In May 2011 First Sergeant Garrett reported to Drill Instructor School to serve as the School First Sergeant.
    First Sergeant Garrett’s personal decorations include the Bronze Star with combat distinguishing device, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal in Lieu of fourth award, Combat Action Ribbon and the Good Conduct Medal in Lieu of sixth award.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mc.../di/ACBio.aspx

Drill Instructor School Academics Chief

Master Sergeant Jason E. Jenks, USMC

Master Sergeant Jason Jenks enlisted in the Marine Corps on 22 February 1994 and attended recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, CA. Upon completion of recruit training he was assigned to Marine Combat Training at Camp Pendleton, California. Master Sergeant Jenks proceeded to MOS school at Camp Johnson, North Carolina. After completion as the class Honor Graduate Master Sergeant Jenks was meritoriously promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal and received the primary MOS 3051, Supply Warehouseman.

In August of 1995, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned to 1st Force Service Support Group, Okinawa Japan. While assigned he filled the billet of a Warehouse clerk.In August of 1995, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned to Combat Service Support Group 3, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, and served as a Warehouse NCO. While assigned to CSSG-3 he deployed to American Samoa aboard USS Fredrick, for a humanitarian operation. Master Sergeant Jenks also participated in exercises located on the big island of Hawaii, in the Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA). Master Sergeant Jenks was promoted to the rank of Sergeant in March of 1998.In October of 1999, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned to 1st Force Service Support Group, Camp Pendleton, California, filling a billet as a Warehouse Chief. While assigned to 1st FSSG he deployed to Kenya, Africa in support of Natural-Fire-00. Master Sergeant Jenks was meritoriously promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant in January of 2002.In January of 2002, Master Sergeant Jenks attended Drill Instructor School, San Diego California. Upon completion of Drill Instructor School, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned to Mike Company, 3d Recruit Training Battalion. While assigned, Master Sergeant Jenks filled the billets of Drill Instructor, Senior Drill Instructor, and Instructor at Drill Instructor School. Master Sergeant Jenks was meritoriously promoted to the rank of Gunnery Sergeant in July of 2005.In October of 2005, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned to 3rd Marine Logistics Group, Okinawa Japan, filling a billet as a Warehouse Operations SNCOIC.In June of 2006, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned to Combat Logistics Battalion 31, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, filling the billet of a Warehouse Chief, where he supported operations in the Philippines, Korea, Australia and Cambodia.In January of 2008, Master Sergeant Jenks was assigned as the Supply Company Gunnery Sergeant, Combat Logistics Regiment 35, Okinawa Japan. Additionally, during this duty Master Sergeant Jenks filled the billet as the Ammunition Company, Company First Sergeant.In July of 2009, Master Sergeant Jenks was promoted to his current rank and assigned to 1st MLG Supply BN, Supply Company as the SNCOIC of the Shipping Receiving section of the Supply Management Unit (SMU). While assigned, Master Sergeant Jenks filled the billet as the SNCOIC of the Storage section, CLR-15 (FWD), in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, in the Helmand Province, Afghanistan.His personal decorations include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal in lieu of Third Award, The Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal in lieu of Second Award, the Marine Corps Good Conduct award in lieu of fifth award.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mcrdsandiego/Pages/di/CIBio.aspx

Drill Instructor School Chief Instructor
    GySgt Carlos M. Weiss, USMC

Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Weiss was born in Tampico, Mexico. He enlisted in the Marine Corps on 28 June 1999. He attended recruit training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California. After graduating Recruit Training he attended Marine Combat Training at Camp Pendleton, California. Following completion of MCT he attended MOS school at Camp Johnson, North Carolina, for Basic Warehouseman.
    In November 1999, Gunnery Sergeant Weiss reported to 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division, where he served as a Warehouse Clerk. In August 2000, he was promoted to the rank of Lance Corporal. In October 2001, while assigned to 1st Tank Battalion he deployed to Egypt to support Operation Bright Star. In May 2002, he received orders to 3rd Force Service Support Group Okinawa, Japan, where he served as a Warehouse Clerk and Radio Operator. In June 2003, he was promoted to Sergeant and received orders to MOS school at Marine Corps Communication Electronics School at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California for Radio Operator.In August 2003, Gunnery Sergeant Weiss received orders to 9th Communications Battalion, Camp Pendleton, California, where he served as a Radio Operator for Bravo Company. In September 2004, he deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom II, Operation Phantom Fury in Al Fallujah.In July 2005, Gunnery Sergeant Weiss executed orders to Drill Instructor School class 4-05, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California. Upon graduation he was assigned to 3rd Recruit Training Battalion Company K, where he served as a Drill Instructor, Experienced Drill Instructor, Senior Drill Instructor, and Series Chief Drill Instructor. In February 2007 Gunnery Sergeant Weiss was promoted to staff sergeant.In September 2008, he was transferred to Marine Wing Support Squadron 372, Camp Pendleton, California, where he served as a Radio Chief and the Company Gunnery Sergeant for Headquarters and Service Company. In September 2009, he deployed to Helmand Province, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. While deployed in Afghanistan, Gunnery Sergeant Weiss served the billets of Company Gunnery Sergeant and Camp Commandant in Camp Bastion.In January 2011, Gunnery Sergeant Weiss received orders to Drill Instructor School, Class 2-11, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California. Upon completing the Drill Instructors Prior’s Course, Gunnery Sergeant Weiss was assigned to 2d Battalion Company G and subsequently to Company F, where he served as a Series Chief Drill Instructor for both companies. On November 2011, GySgt Weiss was promoted to his current rank.Gunnery Sergeant Weiss’ personal decorations include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with gold star in lieu of second award.

Wow! I want to be a Gunny, Top and 1stSgt just like these Marines! Maybe even an officer some day. I hear there is plenty of room to excel if you push yourself (i.e. Schools, promotions, awards and duty stations) and if you work real hard, it will open doors for opportunities to go to college and become Warrant and Commissioned Officers. But MOST important of all, I'll be making Marines! Am I crazy? I'm a work-out gym nut and to this day respect my DIs. Can someone with experience please give me advice?

Credits
    Savings
    PM me, I will get you some sound advice from another source. Moz USMC 68-70

Being a Drill Instructor is the most rewarding experience you will ever have. Simple as that. I was a Drill Instructor a very long time ago and I am sure like everything in the Corps these days much has changed. If you are looking for rank on the drill field is the place to aquire it. In 1966 when I was there I had veen a Buck Sgt 10 years and right out of D.I. School picked up E-5 Sgt. After 7 years on the drill field I retired in 1973 as a GySgt., which was fine with me becaust when I joined the Corps the highest you could go in the enlisted ranks was MSgt. E-7. If you are married, you have to tell your wife that you will see her when you have some time off. Have a great tour.

Go for it Devildog, it'll be the best thing you can do for your career. I went on the field as a young Buck Sergeant in 1958 and was promoted to Sergeant again as an E-5 in less than a year later. I was selected for Sgt Major with 19 years but turned it down to make my way into the civilian world. You sound like exactly what they need for making Marines in this day and age. I wish my Grandson had stayed in and become a Drill Instructor that can mold a civilian into a fighting machine, but he decided against staying in also.

Thread Information