28 years ago.......
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

28 years ago.......

today, I woke up at my MEPS Station at Fort Jackson (SC), had morning chow and sat around waiting the rest of the day for that bus to the Island. It got there late in the day, round 4 PM so, my day was spent shooting some pool in this lounge area that they had us in and flirting with the boys. 4:00 FINALLY came around and it was time to get on the bus.

When I got on that bus, something changed and all of a sudden I was scared to death of what I was getting into. All of a sudden, all the reasons why I wanted to do this in the first place, weren't so bad enough for me to want to leave. PI is not that far from Columbia but, since it was a civilian bus, we took the trip via Charleston and every little podunk town in between to drop somebody off. When we pulled in the gate, round 11 that night, there was nobody left on the bus but me and 1 guy.

I can't remember who the driver dropped off first but that DI that greeted me was mad as a wet hen to be awakened to meet a straggler. I was already a day late (cause I fessed up at the Moment Of Truth and had to wait for the waiver). She went through everything and took everything that I wasn't supposed to have - metal tweezers, manicure scissors, etc. She pulled my cigarettes and told me "by the time you get off this Island, these won't be good anymore. You want to throw them away or keep them?". She handed me linens and told me to find an empty rack.

I remember my last thought before I finally concked out was "WTF have I done?".

Sounds like you stepped in it and came out smelling like a rose.

I had those same thoughts every morning when I awoke on the Island, "WTF have I done?"

The Pride is Forever,Semper Fidelis.

I don't think anyone ever forgets the first night, followed by the first day of the trash can being thrown between the racks and the racks being overturned, i remember that morning,, the DI said everyone out now,, and i got out now,, and while information me and two others were the only ones not to have our boots on,, and Ssgt Delion ask why we did not have our boots on and we told him "Sir the Drill Instructors said get out now" i am sure they had a good laugh about that latter,

Great thread,,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Savannah, GA., 7/16/68; that's where my "oh, sh!t" moment occurred. But it was nothing compared to the receiving barracks!

Credits
    Savings
    This is where it all began for all of us, either PI or SD. This is what ties us all together,
    boot camp, if you have been, it stays with you for ever.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Great post Kim.
    You earned "The Title " and the rest is memories that will last you forever.

Semper Fi Sister,
    Rocky

maybe i am loony but i do miss those days,,the excitement of going for the bras ring to be that something special,,the idea of the unknown after boot camp, the next duty station,, the reporting in,, all fond memories,, and all here have that special bond and memory or memories,,,

I was glad to read that your a woman. You are right? Good story. What happened next?

Been almost 20 years ago for me. Today...my oldest turned 17. And that's all he wanted for his birthday. A trip to the recruiter. Done.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWG View Post
    Savannah, GA., 7/16/68; that's where my "oh, sh!t" moment occurred. But it was nothing compared to the receiving barracks!
    Ah yes, the Receiving Barracks. As I recall early, early, in the morning of a humid September day back in 1970, this recruit was rudely awakened to the reality of life.
    We were facing each other across tables divided into separate areas. We were told to deposit the contents of our pockets into the area directly in front of us. My Recruiter had told me what to and what not to bring along to Boot Camp, however, as I scanned the other areas on the table out of the corners of my eyes I saw all kinds of contraband littering the table. The NCOs who were barking all kinds of commands at us were going around the tables berating and goading the individuals who brought "unauthorized" items onto the Island. From there we were led up the ladder to the Squad Bay up top as a holding place. In about an hour, around 0430, we were assembled outside and herded to the barber shop to be sheared. I still remember how the hair that didn't get left on the barber's floor stuck to my sweaty neck and back for the remainder of the day. Great memories of a great time in my life. Thanks for starting this thread Kim.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Is it just coincidence that everyone here showed up on the Island in the middle of the night, or is it a planned event and everyone gets there in the middle of the night? The Drill Instructors never seemed to be surprised at the time of arrivals. Hmmmmm?

I don't think I had a big "OMG! Please Help Me!" moment until those nice fellas at Receiving walked out and left us to our DIs (who had seemed very professional up to that point).

Quote Originally Posted by wildwoman73 View Post
    Been almost 20 years ago for me. Today...my oldest turned 17. And that's all he wanted for his birthday. A trip to the recruiter. Done.
    LOL - great way to solve that sassing teenager problem.

I don't think I had a WTF-have-I-done moment either. I don't remember having the time to think about that. I just remember thinking what's next? What's next? And expecting the absolute worst.

DWG, I went to SD, but I also arrived late at night. Maybe a former D.I. can chime in, but seems like maybe it's planned that way. When the bus rolls in and stops, it's dark, quiet, eerie and no matter how hard I tried to see when they (D.I.'s) arrived, I didn't. They were just there screaming to get the F off their bus. Dark. Part of the cover and concealment.

Thread Information