Marine Wife- Please Help with a few of my questions
Create Post

Marine Wife- Please Help with a few of my questions

Hello,

I hope everyone is having a great day so far. I'm new to this & was wondering if i can please have someone help me with a few questions i have or if they can advice me on a few things..

My husband has been in Okinawa for about 4 weeks now. Before he was sent to Okinawa he told his NCO's that his status was not single & that he was married. He asked if that can be changed & they told him to 'STFU'. Long story short he wasn't able to get his orders changed & now that hes in Okinawa they won't give him the chance to start the paperwork. He's also been sick since he's been there & has not been to medical. Just last week he was trying to communicate with the Platoon Manager (i think) because he has bedbugs on his bed.. So far nothing has been done. I know i'm not the one in the military but i will definitely not sit around & watch this happen. I have contacted the congressman from the state i live in & should be meeting with them sometime this month or next month. I don't want to be an annoying spouse to the military but things need to get done.

Any advice or positive input will be helpful. My grandfather once told me 'if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your mouth shut'.

Your Grandfather hit the nail right on the head. Wonder what your hubby will do the first time a rat as big as a jack rabbit runs across his bunk while he is in it.

Bed bugs are the least of his worries on deployment to Okinawa.

i know bedbugs aren't his biggest worries or better yet a big jack rabbit running across his bunk but i think it's a little unreasonable for someone to have pneumonia & be out on some 'training operation'. he wasn't deployed, thats where he is being stationed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why doesn't he cowboy up and take care of things instead of his wife trying to do it for him??

Stationed/ deployed is all semantics. He is stationed there and the Marine Corps will not station him elsewhere because he is married. I had a lot of married friends that went to Okinawa on an unaccompanied tour. He is a Marine. We train through all sorts of illnesses and strains. It isnt the boy scouts. If he is sick Im sure there is a Corpsman around to give him something.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Stationed/ deployed is all semantics. He is stationed there and the Marine Corps will not station him elsewhere because he is married. I had a lot of married friends that went to Okinawa on an unaccompanied tour. He is a Marine. We train through all sorts of illnesses and strains. It isnt the boy scouts. If he is sick Im sure there is a Corpsman around to give him something.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Called the Congresscritter about this? You really are trying to make your husband's life miserable. The assumption will be that he prompted the contact and ignored the chain-of-command. Your Congressman's staff, who you will likely meet, knows the rules. If your husband hasn't gone to sick call or used the CoC, the Congressman won't do anything, but the CongrInt (Congressional Interest) letter will land on hubby like a ton of bricks if he hasn't followed the rules.

It sounds to me like your husband is developing a reputation as a whiner and complainer and you're facilitating. That is one bad rep to get in the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post

I was married when they shipped me to Okinawa and I wanted to make it a company tour so I could stay there for three years but at the time nothing was open for me so I ended up on a 13 month tour by myself and taken cold azz showers !!!
    If Your talking to him via Skype tell him to go to sick bay a get what ever he have to get better a shot of penicillin will do the trick ...

Last edited by Marine1955; 05-08-12 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rezende View Post
    Hello,

I hope everyone is having a great day so far. I'm new to this & was wondering if i can please have someone help me with a few questions i have or if they can advice me on a few things..

My husband has been in Okinawa for about 4 weeks now. Before he was sent to Okinawa he told his NCO's that his status was not single & that he was married. He asked if that can be changed & they told him to 'STFU'. Long story short he wasn't able to get his orders changed & now that hes in Okinawa they won't give him the chance to start the paperwork. He's also been sick since he's been there & has not been to medical. Just last week he was trying to communicate with the Platoon Manager (i think) because he has bedbugs on his bed.. So far nothing has been done. I know i'm not the one in the military but i will definitely not sit around & watch this happen. I have contacted the congressman from the state i live in & should be meeting with them sometime this month or next month. I don't want to be an annoying spouse to the military but things need to get done.

Any advice or positive input will be helpful. My grandfather once told me 'if you don't have anything nice to say then keep your mouth shut'.

Whether or not what I have to say is nice depends on how it is taken. Truth sometimes may not be very nice, and yet if I am going to speak the truth, I certaily am not going to shut my mouth.

Even if they had his status as married, it is irrelevant.

Most first tours to Okinawa are unaccompanied. I went there from '83 to 84. I had been married for 2.5 years. Doesn't matter. Tour was unaccompanied.

If he is truly sick, and you say he has pneumonia, then he needs to go to sick bay. If his Staff NCO says no go, he knows the chain of command, and he can go the next level up. He can go up as far as he needs until he gets there. He can do the same thing with his bed bugs. Never thought much about bugs on Okinawa. They were everywhere. Not too unusual to find spiders crawling on you at night, ghekos next to your head, and who knows what flying through the screens.

In the time I was in the Marine Corps, I do not recall a single time any Marine was told he could not go to sick bay for any reason, and I would think something like that would be more likely to occur back then than now.

If you are saying his status has not been changed to married, then he needs to go to admin and get it done. Same thing. Go up the chain until you get an ear to listen.

As far as you taking matters into your own hands, I'll just say that I am glad my wife never did that. That would have really screwed up my working relationship with my Staff NCO's and OIC.

I had a Marine LCpl under me request leave. I approved it, the OIC denied it, and his mom and dad contacted their congressman. By the time the CongrInt got to us, he had been on leave, gone to Korea, and was back. The only outcome of it was a pizzed off OIC, Staff NCOIC.

Maybe you can find some support here: http://www.marinewives.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Whether or not what I have to say is nice depends on how it is taken. Truth sometimes may not be very nice, and yet if I am going to speak the truth, I certaily am not going to shut my mouth.

Even if they had his status as married, it is irrelevant.

Most first tours to Okinawa are unaccompanied. I went there from '83 to 84. I had been married for 2.5 years. Doesn't matter. Tour was unaccompanied.

If he is truly sick, and you say he has pneumonia, then he needs to go to sick bay. If his Staff NCO says no go, he knows the chain of command, and he can go the next level up. He can go up as far as he needs until he gets there. He can do the same thing with his bed bugs. Never thought much about bugs on Okinawa. They were everywhere. Not too unusual to find spiders crawling on you at night, ghekos next to your head, and who knows what flying through the screens.

In the time I was in the Marine Corps, I do not recall a single time any Marine was told he could not go to sick bay for any reason, and I would think something like that would be more likely to occur back then than now.

If you are saying his status has not been changed to married, then he needs to go to admin and get it done. Same thing. Go up the chain until you get an ear to listen.

As far as you taking matters into your own hands, I'll just say that I am glad my wife never did that. That would have really screwed up my working relationship with my Staff NCO's and OIC.

I had a Marine LCpl under me request leave. I approved it, the OIC denied it, and his mom and dad contacted their congressman. By the time the CongrInt got to us, he had been on leave, gone to Korea, and was back. The only outcome of it was a pizzed off OIC, Staff NCOIC.

Maybe you can find some support here: http://www.marinewives.com/

OH so right !!!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Rezende- If his orders were cut before you were married there may be nothing you can do to have them modified being that you are an acquired dependent. Depending on his rank and command he may be able to have the orders modified so that you can join him in Oki. This usually involves an extension to his time in Oki. Now if his paperwork has him listed as single still he needs to get that fixed with admin asap (as a previous poster stated). That will entitle you to BAH, family sep pay, medical, etc.

As for contacting your congressman, your husband is a grown man and needs to fight his own battles/help himself. His command will not work with you, and he will get a rep as having a difficult wife. Trust me, I know it is frustrating but focus on the things you can control and learn ways to make his life easier while you are on the other side of the world. By the way, what part of the island is he on?

can do the same thing with his bed bugs. Never thought much about bugs on Okinawa. They were everywhere. Not too unusual to find spiders crawling on you at night, ghekos next to your head, and who knows what flying through the screens.
    MOS4429 is right on the money here,, and if he gets company survival training like i did when i was there that gheko is history and in the cooking pot,,,,,lol

Thread Information