Not the typical age question.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Not the typical age question.

So. I have wanted to become a Marine since I was little. But when I finally became old enough a girl kept me home. Things got bad with the girl and I told myself if we couldn't fix things I would try to enlist.

I read the age limit sticky saying that 28 is more often than not the oldest they will accept.

My question is how are the older people looked at during training and after during their deployment?

I just turned 25.

Thanks

in boot camp, they just look at you perform ace, and in the fleet, in my grunt unite there was a older man that had just graduated he was 29 we called him pappy (funny that we called him older and pappy and 29) but we never thought anything of it because he was a Marine,, and as long as he did his job no one gave it a second thought

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate the response Marine. Thanks.
    I didn't think it would be an issue. But wanted an inside perspective.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 05-07-12 at 07:35 AM. Reason: How about thanks Marine, not man......he's EARNED it!

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyginger View Post
    So. I have wanted to become a Marine since I was little. But when I finally became old enough a girl kept me home. Things got bad with the girl and I told myself if we couldn't fix things I would try to enlist.

I read the age limit sticky saying that 28 is more often than not the oldest they will accept.

My question is how are the older people looked at during training and after during their deployment?

I just turned 25.

Thanks

How do you say this isnt the typical age question and then start your thread off exactly like every other age question?

You are looked at like a recruit that is all. The only difference is you are also expected to have more common sense than the 17 18 year old out of high school. Other than that you are a recruit wether you are 18 or 29.

My daughter told me that she graduated boot-camp with a young woman that had turned 30 in boot-camp so it is not all that and a bag of chips as long as you keep up and do the job

Being a Marine is a young man's game. Not saying you can't do it. I remember we had "pappy's" in my recruit platoon too and they were treated just like everybody else (lower than whale $hit). Like has been said already, as long as you can pull your load you'll be alright. But, as you get older, it gets harder to pull your load, takes longer to get in and stay in shape, control your weight, recover from injury, and you are more prone to chronic illness (type II diabetes, cancer, etc.).

If you are seriously contemplating enlisting you need to talk to a recruiter TODAY and get the ball rolling. You do not have a moment to spare and your clock is ticking. The enlistment process can be lengthy depending on your circumstances (months in many cases). Take your highschool diploma with you. Expect the recruiter to get his tape measure out, look at your tattoos, and don't be surprised if he wants you to visit his pull-up bar outside (wear lite clothing). If he is interested, he may have you back in a couple days for a 1.5 mile run with a stopwatch! See what I mean? Unless you are serious, don't bother.

I enlisted into the infantry after college and was older then everyone else. I think its easier when your older b/c you have a better head on your shoulders then a 17 year old kid. I graduated bootcamp as honor grad, graduated ITB as guide of my platoon, became a team leader in my unit over guys who have been in longer, and just got Marine of the quarter for the 4th mardiv... I think my age, knowledge, and life experiences allows me to dominate over my peers... I'm also on the same level as my NCO's b/c were the same age, so they look to me to get **** done and push the other junior Marines. Not trying to give you my personal resume but just to show you it doesnt matter about your age. I'm a 25 year old LCPL and have had nothing but success in the Marine Corps and so can you. Just stay motivated and do your best at everything.

"TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD"

Thats a very typical question.... A not very typical answer, at 25 or older you'll end up breaking your hip and die a sad lonely miserable death in MRP or BMP depending on how far you make it. True story. You'll be fine nobody cares about age in bootcamp. I give my older buddies a hard time now just because they are about your age now, but its all in good nature. Ive always been the young one so its different I guess. Yet we still get along and made it just fine. Im sure you'll be alright as long as you drink your milk.

Thread Information