Uncontrolled ship date changes?
Create Post

Uncontrolled ship date changes?

Good morning,
    I am hoping that someone here may be able to shed some light on the subject of how common it is for a ship date to change. I recently got two weeks notice that I was leaving on May 7th as opposed to July 9th and scrambled to ensure things were squared away while I am gone (I'm 22 and married, by the way) so needless to say there was a lot to get done. I got a phone call this past Thursday from my recruiter informing me that there had been an error and I would now be leaving on May 29th, so I had to undo a lot of things that were going into effect such as storage insurance on my vehicle, cell phone turning off and asking my employer if they would like to have me back for an additional two weeks. Now that this has happened, I'm leary to quit my job again only to find out that my date is moving.

I'm curious to see if any of you have experienced a similar situation due to conditions beyond your control. I could understand if you requested a change or had a new waiver, or medical paperwork that had to go up, but I was confirmed for over a week and all of a sudden it changed. As a matter of fact, two hours before I received the phone call I had a text message from my recruiter ensuring me that I would be going on Monday (May 7th) in my job field. A little information either way would be helpful.

Thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

Get used to it. That's why Marines always say Semper Gumby -- Always Flexible. Stay positive, it's the way it is, stinks -- but it is what it is.

Good luck.

Yeah, wish there was something more concrete to tell you, but it's uncontrollable.

Congratulations on being able to leave early and accomplish your goal of becoming a Marine!

Get used to it, along with...hurry up and wait and you do not have a need-to-know! It's the Government afterall and not much is ever under your control...what can you do...file a complaint? Wait till they start screwing with your pay!! Things CAN get worse. It's called "the big green weanie" and you'll get your share along with everybody else (in some form or another). Might as well tell the wife to get used to it as well. Ah yes; the good ole days! Good to see some things haven't changed.

Thank you to all that took the time to reply. I'm going to just hold out hope that I'm leaving then as my recruiter and SNOIC at my recruiting office assure me that I will be leaving that day, no ifs ands or buts.

Thread Information