Re-enlistment+lat move?
Create Post

Re-enlistment+lat move?

Good evening to all! Ok so I'll just dive right on into it. I'm on the cusp of my career getting ready to make that second big jump into the Corps. My EAS is January 2013 and ever since I hit my two year mark in Afghanistan and picked up Cpl, I've been seriously thinking about what my next move is going to be. I am fed up with the current MOS I have 0411. No place to go whenever I get our, no bonus and the work is just dull. It's good getting face time with certain people but I just want more. I've thought of Intel,UAV operator, air traffic control, or sort of open to anything interesting, useful on the outside and that can propel my career quicker and better, I know it's alot to ask but I'd just like to see what you all have to say. Yes ive talked to my CRS a couple times but I want any and everyone's two cents. I'm all ears thanks!!!

UAV would not be useful on the outside and ATC is too stressful. So, of the choices you listed, I would say intel is the best option. With the advanced security clearance and networking, many 02's find employment with both civilian contractors and federal agencies after they get out (communicators do too). You would have to be OK with working inside a room/building with no windows (SCIF), doing a lot of writing, and speaking in front of a group (written and oral briefs). There is a sticky in one of the forums about training, working, and civilian job opportunities in the intel field (poolee hall maybe).

To make a lateral movement at reenlistment, your current PMOS must be overpopulated and the MOS you want to move to must be underpopulated. Plus, you must have the required GT score and otherwise be qualified. Many stars must align just right for a latmove to be approved so it's kind of a crap shoot.

If a latmove does not work out for you then consider taking a break from your PMOS with a special assignment like DI, Recruiter, or MSG (you must be unmarried and agree to remain so). Special assignments are vital for a successful career and give one a different perspective of the USMC. And, they can propel your career quicker and better (promotion boards are briefed on the responsibilities of these duties and the type of individual it takes to be successful on them).

UAV would not be useful on the outside and ATC is too stressful. So, of the choices you listed, I would say intel is the best option. With the advanced security clearance and networking, many 02's find employment with both civilian contractors and federal agencies after they get out (communicators do too). You would have to be OK with working inside a room/building with no windows (SCIF), doing a lot of writing, and speaking in front of a group (written and oral briefs). There is a sticky in one of the forums about training, working, and civilian job opportunities in the intel field (poolee hall maybe).To make a lateral movement at reenlistment, your current PMOS must be overpopulated and the MOS you want to move to must be underpopulated. Plus, you must have the required GT score and otherwise be qualified. Many stars must align just right for a latmove to be approved so it's kind of a crap shoot.If a latmove does not work out for you then consider taking a break from your PMOS with a special assignment like DI, Recruiter, or MSG (you must be unmarried and agree to remain so). Special assignments are vital for a successful career and give one a different perspective of the USMC. And, they can propel your career quicker and better (promotion boards are briefed on the responsibilities of these duties and the type of individual it takes to be successful on them). Thank you MSgt, I appreacite the words of advice and help. I have been thinking all along that a lat move is pretty easy. I mean I have seen Marines around me, even my best friend who ended up at HMX-1, do it and be happy with what theyve done. I am guessing now that it is a little harder to do and it might take a little more work and time. My CRS said that I cannot make any moves till July so Ill start my package when I graduate Cpls Course in June. I hope the stars do align though. But I have talked to a couple intel guys and theyve told me the same thing you did. Working in a sealed off vault, I dont know how I feel about that. Yes I understand the importance of the job, but I dont know if I would like being sealed off like that all day. I like being outside in a bay or at least having windows in an office and going out and PTing everyday at chow. I have thought about recruiter but would the Marine Corps allow a Cpl to go to school? I have heard horror stories about being a recruiter. My thought process is that once I pick up SNCO id like to go MSG so I can take my wife and step child. Thank you for the help again MSgt.

When I worked at the J2 Directorate, US Central Command in Tampa, the entire building was windowless...kind of depressing.

Never was a Recruiter but I have recently experienced my niece being a poolee. The time and effort her recruiter put into her was amazing and she was just one poolee out of however many more he had. Sadly, with only a month left till she was supposed to ship to PI, she decided she wants to be a personal trainer at LA Fitness instead and will be discharged from her DEP (after all he did for her). She had an Intel program approved.

For my Special Duty Assignments, I did two tours on the MSG Program (watchstander and Detachment Commander) and was also the Operations Chief at MSG School in Quantico (some of that time was spent on the MSG screening team as well). If you or your wife have any specific questions about the program just shoot me a PM. I would also encourage both of you to read the book "Ambassadors In Blue, The Marine Security Guard Program". It is written by a former DetCmdr and gives good/accurate info on the screening process, school, and day-to-day life out on post.

My opinion is if you were approved to latmove into a different MOS you would need to spend a sufficient amount of time in it to learn the trade and be competitive for promotion. In that case, I doubt the monitor would let you leave the new field for a "B" billet. Remember, the time spent in a "B" billet is time away from your MOS. You could potentially be looking at leaving the MSG program as a GySgt and going back to the fleet in a MOS with extremely limited experience...not good.

I was a Battalion Career Planner for awhile. These are all scenarios you'll need to talk to your CRS (and wife) about. Depending on what moves you make with your MOS, the monitors (PMOS monitor and Special Duty Assignments Monitor) will have a say in where you go and what you do after that. Don't forget about your accompanied/unaccompanied assignments to OKI as well (those orders always seem to show up at the most inopportune time; at least they did for me)...you will go to the rock eventually and you may or may not take your family (your wife needs to be prepared either way). Lots to think about when you're considering a career. Along those same lines; reenlistment is not garaunteed obviously so don't count your chickens. I saw too many outstanding young Marines with families who intended on being career Marines turned away simply because there was no boat space for them. Reenlistment is a timing/numbers game and shouldn't be counted on (one should always have a backup plan in case the worse-case scenario happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Reenlistment is a timing/numbers game and shouldn't be counted on (one should always have a backup plan in case the worse-case scenario happens).
    This is a very true statement. I just reenlisted in conjunction with a lat-move. It was time consuming and a bit nerve-racking at times, but here I am at my new school awaiting it to start.

The best advice I can give you is start your RELM package as soon as possible, and turn it in to your CRS immediately after you get all your signatures. In my case, I reenlisted/lat-moved this year. The soonest I could submit my package was December 1, 2011. I had it up to HQMC approximately December 7. The only reason it was a week later than it could have been was because of misunderstanding on my part. If the dates don't change for your fiscal year, and you are allowed to submit your RELM Dec 1, ensure your CRS has it PRIOR to that date.

Also, if I've learned anything in the Marine Corps, it is that if I want something to happen that affects my career, I have to be pro-active and badger the powers-that-be often, otherwise it is possible it will be forgotten about. For example, I called my CRS every week, and towards the end it was 2-3 times per week. They started to hate my doing so after awhile, but they understood why I did it.

By the way, you might want to consider being a linguist if you think you can handle it. Not only do you get the TS/SCI clearance, but you will be [near] fluent in a foreign language. ALWAYS helpful in the civilian world.

I hear higher paying outside jobs look for your Marine Corps Leadership. That's why Tankers, Grunts, Arty guys, etc are in high demand over civilians with the same quals. If you want to do tech stuff you can be a gov contractor after that training.

No matter what your MOS is, there will always be oppurtunities. With that being said, don't pick something based solely on the fact you can make money doing it on the outside. Aircraft Mechanics can potentially make decent money on the outside, but if you hate that type of work, then you more than likely won't pursue it on the outside anyways. Find something that makes you happy, Just like tanker said, even for guys that don't have a technical civilian skill, there is plenty of oppurtunity.

If you have a decent GT score, put in for Enlisted Aircrew. It is one of the best jobs in the Marine Corps(although I am a little biased). If you like the idea of controlling aircraft, take on ATC. It is not as stressful as everyone thinks it is, call up an ATC facility and talk to them, they will tell you the same thing. UAV's have alot of oppurtunity outside of the Marine Corps as well. CIA, CBP. Also you are developing mechanical OJT just like any other aircraft mechanic out there.

Good luck, explore all of the options available to you, and don't close any doors until you are 100% sure.

Thread Information