New IST Requirements?
Create Post

New IST Requirements?

Overheard a Sgt. in our RSS talking about new IST requirements. Anybody know what they are or hear anything about it?
    Thanks

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I know all the of the Recruiting Stations in Kansas City's district started to up the minimum for Poolees to ship to 6 pull ups 60 crunches run in under 12:30
    I had a couple friends not pass their 30 day pre-ship IST because they thought the 3 pull ups and 40 crunches would be enough.
    Not sure if it's just them though or if the Marine Corps is doing it as a whole.

I believe twdp is correct for the past few months its been 6 pull ups 60 crunches and 1230 1.5 run. All us poolees thought it was more just to be so we'ds be more prepared guess not.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Athletic Artist's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Any idea what it is for females? I don't have to worry but i'm curious!

In RS Columbia they won't ship us without less than 5 pull-ups, 50 crunches, and 13:00 or under run. I've been in the pool since August 2011 and it hasn't changed

They really should increase the minimum FAH time from 15 seconds to at least somewhere around 30 to 45 seconds. If you can't do even 20 seconds of hang; your really not gonna be able to do much of anything down on the island - for sure.

Who gives a damn! If you can't meet standards such as a measly 60 crunches (come on, it's the easiest thing in the freaking world, I've gotten 100 twice in a row before. I've gone down some but NOWHERE near 60), and under a 11 minute run, and at least 10 pull-ups (I'm right at 10 unfortunately and I leave in a month) then you have no business joining the Marine Corps. It isn't a Rose Garden.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 05-15-12 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Comment uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hargrove View Post
    Overheard a Sgt. in our RSS talking about new IST requirements. Anybody know what they are or hear anything about it?
    Thanks
    In addition you shouldn't be eavesdropping your recruiters or anyone for that matter. Learn some respect. Back in the day (perhaps even now, I don't know) that was punishable by cutting off the ears.

KingOfNegus.....You should learn some respect yourself. Until you've gone through Marine Corps boot camp yourself, you have no idea of what it takes to become a United States Marine.
    When you do finally get to MCRD, you're going to find that not every recruit is a PT stud, and some will have a hard time during PT.
    I hope for your sake, you don't say to your fellow recruit(s), who may be having a hard time during PT, that he doesn't have no business joining the Marine Corps because he can barely meet the requirements, in front of your Drill Instructors......see what happens.
    You're going to find in boot camp that working as a team is the key, not being an individual who only thinks of himself and puts others down

Quote Originally Posted by KatJohns View Post
    If you can't do even 20 seconds of hang; your really not gonna be able to do much of anything down on the island - for sure.
    Not true.......when I got to Parris Island, not only was I unable to max the flex arm hang, there were quite a few others who couldn't max it either. My time was around 20-30 seconds. Gradually, my time increased, as well as the others...and before I knew it, I maxed the time by the end of 1st phase. When it came time for our final PFT, we all maxed the flex arm hang.
    With the Drill Instructors permission, it took some extra working out during our 1 hour of free time at night, and I had a great bunkie who helped me out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    I don't mean to be offensive or disrespectful, ma'am. I just don't like it when people complain over things, especially those of which they cannot change. In this statement I myself am complaining which in theory is a contradiction to my previous statement. Therefore I must not like myself.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have to agree, the current minimum is absolutely pathetic. But I suppose that's why it's just that; the minimum. However I do feel if you cannot make the minimum after being in the pool for over a month you've got some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNegus View Post
    In addition you shouldn't be eavesdropping your recruiters or anyone for that matter. Learn some respect. Back in the day (perhaps even now, I don't know) that was punishable by cutting off the ears.
    The Sgt. was talking to another poolee about what he needs to do to get in. I've heard several answers so I figured id make a post and see if people around the country were getting different answers. Im WELL over the required IST numbers so its not a big deal to me I just like to know everything about whats going to be my life for the next XX years before hand. But thanks for your input however useless it was. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SHWAG View Post
    I have to agree, the current minimum is absolutely pathetic. But I suppose that's why it's just that; the minimum. However I do feel if you cannot make the minimum after being in the pool for over a month you've got some problems.
    That's a bit unfair. I've seen many guys/girls come into the DEP in terrible shapes and come out being at the top of the Pool by the time they leave. They struggle a lot, they're always falling back during the first few months, and they're not exactly the best performers, but they make the effort to improve and even if it takes them over half a year, they get to where they need to be, and they get there with the mentality that they have the ability to improve. They learn something more than just being a halfasser(Excuse the language). They'll learn the importance of actively seeking improvement and never conforming to the bare minimums.

But, you're right on something, if you're one of those bare minimums at everything who never shows improvement or doesn't even bother improving, then yes, they got some heavy problems going on, and it's not physical at all. Weight can be lost, strength can be gained. That's a simple equation right there. But to just settle for the pathetic standards is pathetic in itself.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I completely agree that it's more about the attitude than actual performance. I have more respect for someone who meets the minimum and is always trying to improve by exploring every possibility than someone who has a perfect PFT but doesn't really care and looks down on the others who don't. I didn't want my post to sound negative, but as I re-read it, it does come off that way. What I was really trying to say, in a way, was that if you try you should have no problem exceeding the minimum in a short amount of time in the pool. Also, like you said, the minimum shouldn't be your only goal. If you can't meet it, then set it as a short-term goal, but your long-term goal should always be perfection.

I hope that adequately represents what I meant.

Thread Information