Need advice and guidance
Create Post

Question Need advice and guidance

Hello Marines, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I have been in the DEP for around 2 months now, and was origianally set to leave for Parris Island on July 15th, 2012 on a 6 by 2 reservist contract. However, now I am being pushed to leave on June 4th. I am still a senior in high school, and chose reservist side so I may attend college in the spring semester of 2013 at the University of Kentucky where I was accepted.

Originally, I had planned on going to college first, and going through PLC so I could commision as an officer. This is still my ultimate goal, but I thought doing an enlisted reservist contract would give me some experience, and also some educational benefits. I have found it is not very much help, and I could gather another $11,000 in scholarships to substitute for what the reserves would give me.

My biggest concern, is that while I am in the reserves I will be deployed and have my education put on hold.

How often is it that reserve units are deployed?
    Will the fact im in college have anything to do with me going or not?
    If I back out of the DEP becuase of wanting to further my education, will this hinder my ability of going through PLC and becoming an officer?

Any input and advice is welcome, thank you for your time.

right now everything is in flux, with us being pulled out of astan soon and the draw down, you might not be deployed, but then if you back out now,, with the reductions coming they might not take you when your ready,,they have pretty much the pick of what and who they want,, so it could be risky for you.

Have you spoken to your recruiter about this? He might have some other ideas, could get a bit ticked off, too.

Rather than the route you are going, you could go to college and do PLC at the same time. You would enroll as a freshman and during your summers, you attend two six-week programs at OCS, Quantico, VA. After your first training program you start receiving a monthly stipend. Following commission, you attend the Basic School, also in Quantico.

No need to do college first. You do this while in college.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Have you spoken to your recruiter about this? He might have some other ideas, could get a bit ticked off, too.

Rather than the route you are going, you could go to college and do PLC at the same time. You would enroll as a freshman and during your summers, you attend two six-week programs at OCS, Quantico, VA. After your first training program you start receiving a monthly stipend. Following commission, you attend the Basic School, also in Quantico.

No need to do college first. You do this while in college.
    I understood I do this while in college, but thank you for your input.

irpat54, your right. There has been a lot of downsizing going on. Im thinking they may blow my tattoo up in my face if I back up now, since I had it waived once already only to leave them hanging.

Thread Information