Question about The Commandant's Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps
Closed Thread

Question about The Commandant's Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps

Greetings.
    I am a trumpet player, 18, and have recently gained interest in possibly trying to become a member of The Commandant's Own Marine Drum and Bugle Corps (MOS 5512, and soprano). Is there anybody out there who can give me any information regarding the process of becoming part of this? I understand that I would have to undergo recruit training and the standard stuff, but what would happen after that?

Any information would be very useful, and thank you for your time.

My buddy from bootcamp was a band geek. He said he had tryouts prior to recruit training. His contract stated that he was going to be in the band. Now the exact band you get assigned to is up to the Corps. Its a duty station. Im sure theres a dream sheet where you can choose preferences but not a for sure deal. Now after MCT youd go to band camp (MOS School) you practice playing while marching/drill whatever its called over there. Once you graduate school you hit the fleet where you play at events. Once in the fleet you'll pick up rank like its cool. By buddy is already a Sgt and loving it, he likes to hit me up on facebook and rub it in.

I thought band members didn't go to bootcamp? Or is that just the Presidents own?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I read that most if not all the official Marine band are civilians that are given rank.

Edited to add:

Qualifications
    United States citizenship and successful completion of an extensive background investigation are mandatory in order to obtain a Secret Security Clearance with Category III White House Access.
    Applicants holding dual citizenship will be required to renounce their foreign citizenship as a prerequisite to obtaining clearance.
    This clearance is a requirement for the assignment of the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) 5511 - Member, U.S. Marine Band. Due to the length and scope of the security clearance process, it is initiated following the member's enlistment onto active duty.
    Failure to obtain and maintain this security clearance may result in administrative separation from the U.S. Marine Corps.

Current regulations authorize enlistment between ages 17 and 28. Age waivers may be granted in some cases; however the maximum age for which waivers may be granted to those with no prior military service is 34.
    Applicants must also pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) and a complete physical examination, which includes complying with established height/weight standards both at the time of enlistment and throughout one's Marine Corps career (see height/weight chart below).

The playing part of the audition assesses only the individual's musical qualifications.
    To be offered a position in the Marine Band, one must also be physically qualified and be capable of being granted the required security clearance.
    Selection as a finalist is not a determination that one is musically qualified for the position.
    Finalists are those the committee wishes to hear again in order to make a more complete assessment of their abilities.

Finalists are interviewed at the time of the audition in an effort to identify any potential problems that could affect the individual's ability to be enlisted for duty with the Marine Band, either related to health or the White House security clearance.
    The Privacy Act notice included as part of the Applicant Fact Sheet (available through writing to the Operations Officer at the address listed above) explains that information will be requested in the selection process and personal interview to provide a basis on which to evaluate the applicant's suitability to hold a position with the Marine Band, and will not be used for any other purpose. While disclosure of this information is voluntary, failure to do so could result in the inability of Marine Band staff to evaluate the applicant's suitability for a position in the United States Marine Band and could preclude further participation in the audition process.
    Likewise, disclosure of any information during the interview that is determined to be disqualifying in nature could result in the immediate dismissal from the remainder of the audition process.

The criteria for duty with "The President's Own" are very stringent and are established by those outside agencies responsible for granting physical qualification and security clearances.
    The Marine Band must comply with the criteria and guidance provided by these outside agencies in order to assess applicants.
    While each applicant is different, and each will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, following are some issues that could affect the individual's ability to be found fully qualified for enlistment with the Marine Band:

Physical Qualifications -
    Disqualifying conditions may include but are not limited to: failure to meet height/weight standards at time of enlistment; serious vision and auditory problems; hypertension; diabetes; heart defects; seizure; inflammatory bowel syndrome; loss of an eye or kidney; cancer within five years; anorexia; treatment for asthma during the past five years; allergy immunotherapy during the past two years; and physical limitations due to injury or congenital conditions. Laser eye surgery is a potential disqualifier for enlistment.
    Applicants who have had laser eye surgery should contact Major John R. Barclay, Executive Assistant to the Director, at (202) 433-3993 or send an e-mail to his attention at marineband.operations@usmc.mil prior to the audition.
    When doing so, have a copy of your contact lens/eyeglass prescription from before surgery available.
    Clearance Qualifications -
    Disqualifying conditions may include but are not limited to: arrest and/or conviction of a felony; frequent involvement with authorities even as a juvenile; DWI/DUI; having been a patient in an institution primarily devoted to the treatment of mental, emotional, or psychological disorders; pattern of financial irresponsibility (bankruptcy, debt or credit problems, defaulting on a student loan); membership in any organization that advocates the commission of acts of force or violence to deny other persons their rights under the Constitution of the United States; having petitioned to be declared a conscientious objector to war; moving violations with fines over $200; illegal drug use (to include any use of cocaine, heroin, LSD, and PCP); and the illegal purchase, possession, or sale of any such narcotics.

Note: Applicants with questions about their specific cases should call Major John R. Barclay, Executive Assistant to the Director, at (202) 433-3993 or send an e-mail to his attention at marineband.operations@usmc.mil prior to the audition.
    At the completion of the personal interview and health/security screening, if it is determined that health and/or background issues could affect an individual's ability to be enlisted for duty with the Marine Band, such matters will be addressed with the respective agencies responsible for physical qualification or clearance matters.
    If these agencies confirm that an applicant is unequivocally disqualified for either physical or security clearance reasons, the Director reserves the right to eliminate the individual from further consideration.

Once found fully qualified and selected for a position with "The President's Own," applicants receive full medical and aptitude testing at the Military Enlistment Processing Station (MEPS) nearest their current residence.
    This testing is coordinated by the Marine Band in cooperation with local Marine Corps recruiters.

Last edited by ChuckH; 05-06-12 at 06:35 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    About the Enlistment
    The enlistment process is completed at the applicant’s local Military Enlistment Processing Station.

A standard four-year enlistment contract is signed "for duty with the Marine Band only."

Marine Band musicians are permanently assigned and may not be transferred to any other unit or location. Upon enlistment, new members are appointed to the rank of Staff Sergeant (pay grade E-6) in the United States Marine Corps and receive all pay and benefits commensurate with that grade.

They are also subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the rules and articles governing the discipline of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Following enlistment, new members report directly to Washington, D.C.
    Official travel and shipment of household goods are conducted at government expense.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Recruit Training (Boot Camp)

Marine Band members are the only members of the U.S. Armed Services not required to undergo recruit training.
    The Marine Band's mission is "to provide music and perform such other functions as are directed by the President of the United States and the Commandant of the Marine Corps."
    Unlike other Marine Corps musical units, the Marine Band has no assigned secondary combat role, and its members are exempt from all such training.
    Marine Band musicians report to Washington fully trained to perform their primary duties in the accomplishment of the band’s unique musical mission. Therefore, there is no requirement for band members to undergo recruit training.

New band members are instructed by the Drum Major in appropriate military and band-related subjects.
    This ongoing process of instruction gives each musician essential knowledge about his or her role in the U.S. Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All of the above information was done by using a simple search on Google...

www.marineband.usmc.mil/index.asp

Last edited by ChuckH; 05-06-12 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    All of the above information was done by using a simple search on Google...

www.marineband.usmc.mil/index.asp
    Very nice. But, does not answer the OP's question so is irrelevant. He asked about the Commandant's Own (Drum and Bugle Corps) and not the President's Own (Marine Band).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks for the input top, but the info can be found there as well.

I had heard something similar to what Chuck had been saying I'd love to be able to get ssgt out of the gate and not have to go through recruit training lol. If only they didnt have to go CFT and PFT as well

Lightbulb Looking for a soprano bugler for the commadants own-

I am the 9th District RSO in St Louis, and there are cases when we are looking for specific musicians to fill vacancies- as of this post, we need a qualified Soprano bugler. If the young hard charger that posted the above message is still interested, I would love to talk to him direct-
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GyP View Post
    I am the 9th District RSO in St Louis, and there are cases when we are looking for specific musicians to fill vacancies- as of this post, we need a qualified Soprano bugler. If the young hard charger that posted the above message is still interested, I would love to talk to him direct-
    Semper Fi
    How exactly would they get in touch with you, Gunny?

Your profile is not very helpful.

Please fill it out, some basics as we know you are on active duty. But be sure to include your office/work phone number.

Thank you, Semper Fi

I messaged him direct, thanks for the input,
    Ill update my profile.
    SF

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread closed.
    Please fill out your profile per site rules.
    PM myself or any Squad Leader to re-open the thread once completed.

Good luck with the PM to the OP who is a " Marine Friend " on a thread that is almost 4 months old now. What are the odds of you finding it here and just what you were looking for.
    Hope it works out...

Thread Information