Medication & the Marines
Create Post

Question Medication & the Marines

Hi,I am almost 17 and am considering enlisting after college. I know I have a few years before I need to make decisions but I would just like some answers.I am taking Lamictal as an antidepressant, although it is not normally used for that purpose. I know that if I am on an antidepressant, I am DQ'd for a year after I am off. First off, I am wondering if I need to take myself off because it is not an official antidepressant? Second, if I am off for a year, is it as easy as that to get past the medical portion if the enlistment process? Other than the Lamictal, I am physically fit and can stand for myself. I would also like to thank all of you for your service. I hope to be like you in the future if possible.

Topic closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.
    When profile is complete, PM me so I can re-open the topic.

Topic re-opened.
    Do not take yourself off of any medications. That's a job for your doctor to do.
    As for getting a waiver for being on meds, you'll just have to wait and see when the time comes.

Waivers Question

Hi, I am considering enlisting in the marines, although I have some conditions that I know I will need waivers for. #1: I have had depressions since I was a little kid, although by the time a I enlist, I will have been off meds for 2 years. The strange thing is, the meds I use is Lamictal, it is advertised as an anti-seizure med, although I have NO history. Doctors are unsure why Lamictal helps depression patients. (I have NO seizure history!) I have also NEVER had any hospitalization history. #2: I have had some adrenal issues for a few years now, although like depression, I will have been off for 2 years. #3: I have some mild thyroid issues but will be off meds for 2 years. I really want to know if any of these will permanently disqualify me? Can I get a waiver for these? And what people think my chances of enlistment are? Will ROTC improve my chances? If you have any information and have links to this, can you please post them?

Since you already had a topic going on this, I merged your most recent thread with this one.

Thread Information