marine security forces and marine security guard and mcmap question.
Closed Thread

marine security forces and marine security guard and mcmap question.

Well my question is could you sign to be be in the security forces and after your 2 years do you have to go straight into infantry or could you go for a msg? Or is it not possible on a contract. I really want to be a msg for the marines it sounds like a billet id really enjoy. As for mcmap i love h2h combat so i wanted to know could i do either of those jobs and continue with my martial arts training, could i train to be an instructor? Also prp and non prp im not getting great info from people who dont know what they talk about on yahoo

Well I don't really know anything about security forces, but I can fill you in on your other two questions. MSG is just that, a billet. After you join and spend some time in, just contact either your career planner, or an MSG recruiter. They'll hook you right up. You'll have to have all the pre reqs and you'll go on a board and be selected to go to the school for MSG. As for MCMAP, to go up in belts all you have to do is find an instructor to train you, log your hours and then test out. To become an instructor they offer a course where you get to earn your tan tab. To become and instructor trainer you'll go through some hazing at another course and get your red tab .

Yeah i was hoping to do sf and msg but also be a martial arts instructor. Do you commonly train in mcmap? Did you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr View Post
    Well my question is could you sign to be be in the security forces and after your 2 years do you have to go straight into infantry or could you go for a msg?
    You go straight to the infantry when your SF duty is over.

Depends on where your at and if you can find a MCMAP instructor. Helps a lot if someone in your unit is an IT.

After you get to your unit after SF i'm sure you can put a package in for MSG.

Doubt they would let you do MSG duty right after SF. If you're supposed to be a grunt then you'll need to spend some time in a grunt unit and learn your trade (MSG's do not do infantry training). Typically, you'll only spend one tour/assignment away from your primary MOS. Remember, however long you spend out of your MOS, that's how long you'll not be gaining any experience, training, formal education, etc while your peers will (this could potentially affect your promotion opportunities). It would not be fun to report to an infantry unit as a Sgt, be put into a Platoon Sergeant's billet, and have no idea of what you're supposed to do. Situations like that happen when one spends too much time out of their field; then, they pay when performance evaluation time rolls around and they are graded against others who have never done something different. So, to be successful, you have to balance time in-and-out of your PMOS.

The average size of a MSG detachment is around 10 watchstanders and one Detachment Commander. Chances of one of them being a MCMAP instructor is practically zero. You should not expect to advance in belts while on the MSG program (the resources are just not available; in many instances, those 10-11 Marines are the only American military personnel in the entire host country).

Quote Originally Posted by waitinferage21 View Post
    After you get to your unit after SF i'm sure you can put a package in for MSG.
    You can put in a package anytime, sure, but the likelihood of approval is so small it's not worth it. Doubt the jammer/command would even entertain it. SF duty isn't technically a B billet, but you wont find any boots doing back to back b billets.

Haha well with what everyone else said it doesn't sound as easy to do as i thought but still id love to do both. Im just not thinking infantry is for me :/ but an mp marital art's instructor is the ideal marine life to me. An msg would be an amazing job toe one i believe i should try during my military life. Haha and thats me rambling

Haha thanks i guess combat speaks to me but not straight infantry but i love the Marines who go out there and do it. They are courage personified

Last edited by Lisa 23; 05-10-12 at 07:38 AM. Reason: How about Marines, not guys.

Ill find one it may be hard but will find one. Marital arts major part of who i am

As an msg you do for 3 years right so after 3 years would my 4 years active 4years inactive contract be up? Could i get another mos after the msg job?

As an msg you do for 3 years right so after 3 years would my 4 years active 4years inactive contract be up? Could i get another mos after the msg job?
    You can't go in for MSG. MSG is only available to you once you are in -- you CAN NOT enlist for MSG.

Yes im well aware its not a pmos and i know you can't enlist with that in mind

Yes im well aware its not a pmos and i know you can't enlist with that in mind

Good, that covers everything then.

Good luck.

Closed.

Thread Information