USS Ormsby to Guam
Create Post

USS Ormsby to Guam

May 12th to May 15th, 1944,we were on maneuvers on the USS Ormsby. Also May 23rd until leaving for Guam, we were training, landing and unloading ship. Climbing down the sides of ships with full pack, rifle, etc., getting into landing crafts and going ashore. We went back to Guadalcanal and trained until June 4th. We were training for the attack on Guam. May 13th, I wrote Helen by code that I would be leaving this place, destination unknown, and that I would be unable to write for some time. (We didn't know at the time where we were going)

On 31 January Ormsby participated in another amphibious assault landing her troops at Kwajalein in the Marshalls. Following this operation, she moved on to Guadalcanal in February and trained Army units until 28 March, when she landed reinforcements at Bougainville and continued to Milne Bay, New Guinea. In April she sailed to Buna, Finschafen and then toAitape, New Guinea where on the 23rd army assault troops were landed. A reinforcement voyage to Aitape followed on 3 May.

Quote Originally Posted by steavejohn1994 View Post
    On 31 January Ormsby participated in another amphibious assault landing her troops at Kwajalein in the Marshalls. Following this operation, she moved on to Guadalcanal in February and trained Army units until 28 March, when she landed reinforcements at Bougainville and continued to Milne Bay, New Guinea. In April she sailed to Buna, Finschafen and then toAitape, New Guinea where on the 23rd army assault troops were landed. A reinforcement voyage to Aitape followed on 3 May.
    steavejohn1994, Thanks for the info on the Ormsby. I was on 12 different ships and one LST. Including the USS George Clymer for the Bougainville Invasion of November 1, 1943, USS Callaway to Emirau Invasion March 20, 1944, USS McIntyre to Okinawa Invasion April 1, 1945, USS Grimes to Japan for occupation August 30, 1945. Ray

Thread Information