Son want to be Marine medic - Navy
Create Post

Son want to be Marine medic - Navy

My son will be a senior in high school this fall. His grades are high, in the honor society, and plays sports. We have his college tuition paid for when we enrolled him in Texas Tomorrow Fund when he was a child. My questions is what would be the best way for him to obtain is goal to be in the medical field in the Marines and our goal for him to get a degree? My son has talked about the Marines since he was 7 yrs old. Thanks for your input.
    Bob Alvarez
    Victoria, Texas

Reseeach is needed,does he want to be a Marine or a Navy Hospital Corpsman? Becoming a Corpsman does not automaticly place him with the Marines,there are many who are not with the Marines the first 2-4 years of their enlistment.You can go through the threads at http://www.corpsman.com/forum/forum.php in the FMTB section to get an idea.

Thanks for the quick reply. My son wants to be a Marine. I understand that the Marines do not have their own medics, the Navy places corpmen with the Marines. Is this correct? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by balvarez View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. My son wants to be a Marine. I understand that the Marines do not have their own medics, the Navy places corpmen with the Marines. Is this correct? Thanks again.
    Yes,that is correct.But the vast majority of Navy Corpsman do not deploy,they are stationed at hospitals,clinics,and support.

BOB Like Dan said he would be stationed in a hospital or clinic for his first four years . I myself had 2 hospital tours before i went to field med school . Then i had to extend 18months so i could do my med float , then i enlisted using my gaurd three and i spent 4 yrs at camp lejuene with 3rd bn 8th mar div.
    So I wish your son all the best

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

My questions is what would be the best way for him to obtain is goal to be in the medical field in the Marines and our goal for him to get a degree? My son has talked about the Marines since he was 7 yrs old.

Does your son just want to "dabble" being a Marine or is he interested in medicine? Talking about being the Corps since 7 yo doesn't reveal his career aspirations. Personally, since your son is on a full tuition ride, why not pursue college first? He has the academics to pursue medicine.

Either way,in fact during the early 80,s when I went to Corps School we had alot of Marines that turned in to Corpsmen. GOOD Luck in your endevers

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To sum it up, your son CAN'T be in the medical field as a Marine. The Navy handles all of the Corps medical needs. He would have to join the Navy as a medical corpsman and volunteer for Field Medical school after he finishes his "A" school. They may or may not send him to Field Med right away, depending on his medical specialty. He could then serve with the Fleet Marine Force.

My advice to him is to finish college first, then enlist or seek an officer's commission.

Update on that, it may be possible in the very near future for a Marine to be a Corpsman. There is a proposition that all Corpsmen be Marines and that the Navy will be giving up that position. This will mean no more Navy Corpsmen in the Marine Corps.

I think it would be a travesty and a slap in the face of tradition. My hero's have always been Navy Corpsmen. I would like to keep it that way. Semper Fi.

There was a proposal on the subject in 2009 which was shot down.I have not seen anything since. see link for information... http://www.corpsman.com/forum/showth...al-Technicians

Thread Information