I want to do ALOT of things while in the Corps?
Create Post

I want to do ALOT of things while in the Corps?

Hey! So I have found several things I would 'Like' to do in the Corps, I just wanted to hear from current/prior active duty Marines if I could accomplish it all, and if its better to do it in a certain order.

I would like to....(key word being like,and I know nothing is guarenteed)

1. Either go Infantry or Tanks.

2. Do MSG Duty for a tour (1 3year set)

3.Try to get into CI(0211) or 2336 (EOD) once I've been in long enough.

I picked a combat arms job right off bat, cause well, the Military is the only job that pays you to blow **** up, so why pick a job in the Corps that I could do as a Civilian? thats my reasoning behind that decision.

Also, Could I do MSG duty once I hit LCpl in either Tanks/Grunts then after those 3 years(if I have picked up Cpl) request to LAT move straight into CI or EOD?

Thanks Stephen

(Please don't put, "Get through boot first", I know what I have to do first, I just want to see if I can even THINK about being able to do all that stuff while I am in.)

Currently My shipdate is unknown, but I Scored a 88 on the ASVAB and a 116 on the DLAB. GT Score was 121.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressley1812 View Post
    Hey! So I have found several things I would 'Like' to do in the Corps, I just wanted to hear from current/prior active duty Marines if I could accomplish it all, and if its better to do it in a certain order.

I would like to....(key word being like,and I know nothing is guarenteed)

1. Either go Infantry or Tanks.

2. Do MSG Duty for a tour (1 3year set)

3.Try to get into CI(0211) or 2336 (EOD) once I've been in long enough.

I picked a combat arms job right off bat, cause well, the Military is the only job that pays you to blow **** up, so why pick a job in the Corps that I could do as a Civilian? thats my reasoning behind that decision.

Also, Could I do MSG duty once I hit LCpl in either Tanks/Grunts then after those 3 years(if I have picked up Cpl) request to LAT move straight into CI or EOD?

Thanks Stephen

(Please don't put, "Get through boot first", I know what I have to do first, I just want to see if I can even THINK about being able to do all that stuff while I am in.)

Currently My shipdate is unknown, but I Scored a 88 on the ASVAB and a 116 on the DLAB. GT Score was 121.
    ***EDIT: Could I do EOD for a Enlistment, then LAT Move agian to 0211 and keep that till my time in the Corps ends? Just wondering, both fields Intrest me VERY MUCH, reason being I'm a Polygot and I also am a Pyromanic. lol.

Stephen,

I suppose it is good that you have a desire "to do a lot of things."

BUT...there is only one thing that should matter to you at this point, if you indeed enlist: Becoming a Marine.

Without that, everything else is hot air.

I think you watch to many movies, and should become a Marine first. Second, you are NOT going to be able to do CI and EOD. Not going to happen. CI, is extremely difficult to get into first, and even harder to get through the school. I know many CI, guys. EOD, is the same way, hard to get into, hard to get through the school. As for MSG, if I remeber right it, you may be to enlist for "MSG" then you become a 03xx after. But, dont be ignorant to how things work, making yourself marketable after the Marine Corps is a good idea. Considering the massive draw down in troops, being an 03xx may not be possible, or even a good idea. Oh, you may want to look into 0231, or into Combat Engineer.

One cannot enlist for MSG duty as it is not a primary MOS and you are not eligible until you become a LCpl. In addition, you must volunteer, be recommended by your CO, be unmarried and agree to remain so, have a certain average PRO/CON marks, be able to obtain a final Top Secret security clearance, graduate from MSG school (which has a very high attrition rate), among other things. Remember, MSG is a secondary MOS (and not tied to 03xx) meaning you will be out of your Primary MOS for the 3 years you're on the program; that's losing 3 years of experience/training in your MOS to your peers who stay.

Lateral moves are normally made in conjunction with and as an incentive for reenlistment. To be approved, one usually needs to be in a Primary MOS that is overpopulated and wanting to move into an underpopulated MOS (along with having the required GT score from your ASVAB test for the new MOS). It gets complicated and there are many stars that need to align just right to work out. But, you can always ask.

I guess I would say it's "possible" for you to do everything on your wish list but a LOT of variables would have to work in your favor and it may take 2 or 3 enlistments to work it all in. Certainly, you couldn't count on doing this thing, then that one, and finally this one. Life happens, goals change, and the USMC has its own plans for you. Nothing wrong with dreaming however.

Thread Information