MCT training L&D Question
Create Post
    Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MCT training L&D Question

We tried to get my husband RA duty so he could stay home for my "any day now" pregnancy/birth. He was denied because it would mess up the training schedule he was on... my question is, doesn't he get 10 days paternity leave?

As of this moment in time I'm going to require a C Section and I will find out tomorrow (because of events yesterday) if we will have an "emergency" type C Section possibly Friday. Will he be allowed to fly home for this? Do I call the Red Cross, does my doctor? I just want to try and prepare myself for all situations and I'm obviously hoping he's going to be able to be at my side. I'm just wondering if they are going to make him finish his MCT training first. He was just picked up yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echandler View Post
    We tried to get my husband RA duty so he could stay home for my "any day now" pregnancy/birth. He was denied because it would mess up the training schedule he was on... my question is, doesn't he get 10 days paternity leave?

As of this moment in time I'm going to require a C Section and I will find out tomorrow (because of events yesterday) if we will have an "emergency" type C Section possibly Friday. Will he be allowed to fly home for this? Do I call the Red Cross, does my doctor? I just want to try and prepare myself for all situations and I'm obviously hoping he's going to be able to be at my side. I'm just wondering if they are going to make him finish his MCT training first. He was just picked up yesterday. Thanks in advance.
    He does not get paternity leave. In fact, he won't be able to come home at all unless there is some type of true life-threatening emergency. No such thing as an emergency C-section that is planned in advance.

Your husband contracted to serve in the Marine Corps, and for better or worse, in a sense, so did you. Lots of Marines are stuck some place else when their children are born; it appears your husband will be one of them.

Good luck with your delivery.

Credits
    Savings
    It would be an emergency c section pending results of tests I had done today. I know you're being helpful but you don't know my medical situation either.

Anyway, we were told by the recruiter that he would be able to come home as soon as the baby was delivered because paternity leave is guaranteed. I just wasn't sure if he would have to serve his paternity leave after MCT was over or if they would just ship him back home since he only just began yesterday. I'm fully aware that we married the Corps I just wanted to be prepared.

No, there is no paternity leave for Marines. He will most likely have to finish MCT before he is allowed to request leave to see you and the baby.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sorry: http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...IN0076-09.aspx

1. PURPOSE. TO PROVIDE ADVANCE NOTICE OF FORTHCOMING CHANGES TO REFERENCE A.
    2. POLICY CHANGES IN REF B AND C REQUIRE CHANGES TO REF A. THIS MARADMIN PROVIDES ADVANCE NOTICE OF FORTHCOMING CHANGES TO REF A (LEAVE AND LIBERTY POLICIES) REGARDING PERMISSIVE TEMPORARY ADDITIONAL DUTY (PTAD) FOR PATERNITY AND ADOPTION. THE NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT 2009 HAS DIRECTED CHANGE TO U.S.C. TITLE 10, SEC 701 MANDATING 10 DAYS OF PATERNITY LEAVE (ADMINISTRATIVE ABSENCE) TO A MARRIED MEMBER ON ACTIVE DUTY WHOSE SPOUSE GIVES BIRTH. THE NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT 2006 HAS DIRECTED CHANGE TO U.S.C. TITLE 10, SEC 701 ALLOWING UP TO 21 DAYS OF ADOPTION LEAVE (ADMINISTRATIVE ABSENCE) FOR ANY MARINE ADOPTING A CHILD.
    3. ACTION. THE FOLLOWING ADMINISTRATIVE CHANGES WILL BE FORTHCOMING IN THE OFFICIAL CHANGE TO REF A.
    3.A. ON PAGE 5-3, PAR. 5003. PTAD FOR BIRTH WILL BE REVISED TO READ: "5003. PTAD FOR BIRTH
    1. AUTHORIZATION. COMMANDERS SHALL AUTHORIZE 10 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF (PTAD) FOR A MARRIED MALE MARINE WHEN HIS SPOUSE GIVES BIRTH.
    2. GRANTING PTAD. THE TIMING OF PTAD WILL BE GRANTED AT THE COMMANDER'S DISCRETION DEPENDING ON THE UNIT'S MISSION AND SPECIFIC OPERATIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES. HOWEVER, COMMANDERS WILL ENSURE, ABSENT ANY IMMEDIATE OR FUTURE OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS, THAT PTAD IS TAKEN AND COMPLETED WITHIN 25 DAYS AFTER THE CHILD'S BIRTH. ADDITIONALLY, IT WILL BE TAKEN BEFORE ANY OTHER LEAVE (I.E., COMBAT, ANNUAL, OR POST DEPLOYMENT MOBILIZATION RESPITE ABSENCE).

Lol, good luck with it.... You will quickly learn the difference between regulation on paper and how things really work.

He does get 10 days paternity leave, you or your parents or his parents can contact the red cross and they will let you know what they need. Sadly, he probably wouldnt be able to what most Marines do when they have children in the fleet, take leave in conjuction with maternity, but 10 days. Is still good. Good Luck with the birth and I hope you both are healthy. Oh by the way, good job on the order...sorry Zulu and Spotts, she got you.

http://www.redcross.org/

I learn something new everyday. I guess it all depends on the commanders discretion as per the order.

It is a new Marine Corps, you old salt dogs arent use to. It is cheaper to keep Marines in, then to train new ones to replace them. Normally, you get it. I have seen people come back from Afghan/Iraq, then go back out. Training, like MCT, shouldnt even be a consideration, I imagine they will just send him, and that will be that. He will just pick up with a later Plattoon.

Sorry I don't have an answers to your questions. Good luck with everything and I hope your husband will be home for the delievery.

Credits
    Savings
    Update: I want to thank all of you for trying to help me! I got a phone call from my husband last night. He has special permission for the next 3 nights to make a 10 minute call home to find out my status. His COs have told him that as long as I use the Red Cross to notify him of my C Section date that he will be able to come home, but has to completely start over at MCT no matter when he leaves out. Thank you all again.

Good! Just tell him, seeing the birth of his child will be well worth it.

Welcome to the family. Your husband is lucky. As a career Marine, I know of MANY who missed births, birthdays, funerals, anniversaries, and myriad other important events in their lives because the USMC was their #1 priority (whether they wanted it that way or not). Who knows, maybe his luck will hold out the next time he needs to be home as well...but if I were you I would not count on it. Good luck and have a safe delivery.

Note the last paragraph of the order. Granting of PTAD is at the commander's discretion and based on the mission and specific operational circustamces meaning it is NOT guaranteed.

Thread Information