Can't we set a higher standard in our threads?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't we set a higher standard in our threads?

I continue to see threads calling derisive names, insults to/at people and their families, gripes about people when the issues are part of all of government. I believe a lot of people read these remarks and they reflect on the United States Marine Corps and I'm saddened.

I believe the United States Marine Corps reflects the best that this country has to offer. And we should try to uphold this honor with our actions on and off the battlefield. Can we try to identify what actions we dislike, why we dislike them, and propose actions that can improve the situation rather than just be negative and abusive in our opinions?

Am I alone in feeling this way, I hope not.

I'm very proud to have served! The Marine Corps helped me become the person I am today and I feel I owe the USMC the respect that it deserves!

Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yet, there is something to be said for resisting woosification. Oohra?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please point out to any Mod or Squad Leader any of these threads that you are referring to.
    The only place that Marines are able to talk "freely" is in the Marines Only section.
    That area is only viewable to Marine members.

Last edited by ChuckH; 04-25-12 at 12:57 PM.

I admit most is in the Marines only area, yet I still feel that we should ascribe to a higher level than is exhibited in many (most?) cases. Look at the diatribe re: travon martin? There's a little substance I admit, but a lot of back and forthing which is not condusive to a productive discussion?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gary
    That is in the Political Forum..
    Here are some of the rules for that forum:

This is the ONLY forum that we are allowed to basically carp/beeyotch/rant at one another. Some of you live here and go nowhere else. (As did I once upon a time...LOL). Others are all over the boards. Regardless, I will NOT ban people just because you pizzed someone else off.....even me. (Because if that were the case this would be an echo chamber....and that ain't the point, is it?)

3: I will defend ALL Marines RIGHT to speak their mind, even if I don't agree with it (and there are plenty of you I don't agree with all the time....). That's what this forum is for. That's what YOU fought for. You earned that right.

This was posted by our senior moderator.

Chuck, I appreciate your comments and agree in principle. I am just asking if we have the ability to discuss issues rather than bad mouth each other if we disagree. Mine was a request not an expectation of a mandate. Look in Chuckles and you'll see what I mean. It regards a marine in a college setting, "expressing his rights to free speech", but there's a message in that joke too. Thank you for your responce, I really do agree with "most of it", LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gary... Your talking about Marines here... LOL

I already know that you're cool! Thanks for the feedback. Semper Fi

Gary,
    You need to stay away from the War Room if these other forums upset you. Just a thought!

Semper Fi!

Yeah um...isn't this a site for Marines?

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd like to point out that the former first lady seemed to hold in high regard the Marine Corps not in spite of our "dirty minds" and "low morals", but in fact partially because of them. Mrs. Roosevelt knew that men of the caliber required for waging war effectively on our nations enemies are characterized by certain behavior that may not mesh with polite society too well.

Maybe our exeriences in the Corps differ too much for me to understand what you are driving at there...

It just seems like there is almost a goal of not trying to discuss the actual issue, but to deride those who differ. And I'm giving everyone the benefit that they really do have different opinions, and a discussion of why they differ is usually how we all grow. I can swear and tell off color jokes with the best of them, I just don't think that has to be the norm. Am I that far out on this? Maybe so. Semper Fi

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As we all know " Marines will be Marines " we speak our minds. I try and be as Cordial and Respecful as I can be even if I disagree with you on certain issues.

If I read something that is going to personally set me off I stop reading and move on to another topic on the Forum.

I will not give an Infraction or Ban anyone for speaking there minds.

Except * When a member throws in a Family member, Spouse or Children into the mix in a negative way.

That's where I draw the line.

Carry On...

Semper Fi,
    Godfodda Rocky

I've zero problems with your process, by the way, your presentation is excellent. Semper Fi

This is a "what it's worth", I've had great feed back, and the responces have been respectful and many of them disagreeing with at least part of my position. This is all I'm asking for as a basis, rather than an exception! Thanks guys! Always Faithful!

A MARINE was attending some college courses after completing missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of his professors was an avowed atheist and a member of the ACLU. One day the professor shocked the class when he came in looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I'll give you exactly 15 minutes." The lecture room fell silent. Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am God. I'm still waiting." With only a couple of minutes to go the MARINE walked up to the professor and cold-cocked him, knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold. The MARINE went back to his seat and sat there silently. The other students were stunned looking on in silence. When the professor eventually came to he was noticeably shaken. He looked at the MARINE and asked, "What the hell is the matter with you? Why did you do that?"

The MARINE calmly replied, "God heard you but He was too busy today protecting America's soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid **** and act like an *******. So He sent me."

I thought this kind of added a little ammunition to my point. Thanks all

Thread Information