Can't we set a higher standard in our threads? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Miner View Post
    It just seems like there is almost a goal of not trying to discuss the actual issue, but to deride those who differ. And I'm giving everyone the benefit that they really do have different opinions, and a discussion of why they differ is usually how we all grow. I can swear and tell off color jokes with the best of them, I just don't think that has to be the norm. Am I that far out on this? Maybe so. Semper Fi
    I hope you don't think I was trying to speak derisively to you. That was in no way my intention. I was simply trying to illustrate the point that Marines, as America's force in readiness, tend to be a little rough around the edges and I for one (along with Mrs Roosevelt) consider that to be a good thing. The type of man who generally has the integrity and intestinal fortitude to be good at being a Marine, also is usually characterized by qualities which polite society often deems inappropriate. As this is primarily a gathering place for such men (and women) I feel that it is foolhardy to expect behavior which is outside the norm for them when interacting with one another. I'm sorry if you thought I was personally attacking you, I merely was defending an opposing position on the subject you wished to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradomick View Post
    Yeah um...isn't this a site for Marines?

“The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

-Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd like to point out that the former first lady seemed to hold in high regard the Marine Corps not in spite of our "dirty minds" and "low morals", but in fact partially because of them. Mrs. Roosevelt knew that men of the caliber required for waging war effectively on our nations enemies are characterized by certain behavior that may not mesh with polite society too well.

Maybe our exeriences in the Corps differ too much for me to understand what you are driving at there...
    Mrs.Roosevelt had one son whos was a Marine officer in the "Rader Bn." during WW 2.

I know I like you! Great sense of humor. Great responce. Semper Fi

It's the nature of the beast. The Internet. You most of the time have to really have thick skin to be around here. Mainly in the political section.

Thread Information