Taking the family to Arlington, any tips?
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Taking the family to Arlington, any tips?

I'm taking the family to Arlington National Cemetery, Iwo memorial and some memorials around the mall. Any tips on parking or anything else? We will be up there May 4 & 5th.

Park at one of the METRO Stations, and take the METRO to the Mall and walk it, or look into the open top tours. Parking is sparse, and mostly expensive, I dont know if you drive a full size truck, but that is a headache in itself, because many of the parking garages, I cant fit in. I dont drive downtown for nothing if I dont have to. As always, get your google on, there is all kinds of stuff out there for tours, and things like that. Semper

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks. I'll be driving a full size car up there. It's a bit easier on gas than the Jeep or truck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Park in Ft.Myer...No Military I.D.? No Biggy tell them Your a Former Marine,The M.P's are Very Respectful there and git Yourself a Visitors pass.Check out the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldiers and watch the changing of the Guard.Then from there check out everything You may want to See.It sure beats dealing with the District's Traffic and Parking! GodLuck and Hope You and Your Family enjoy The Visit.S/F

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Park in Ft.Myer...No Military I.D.? No Biggy tell them Your a Former Marine,The M.P's are Very Respectful there and git Yourself a Visitors pass.Check out the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldiers and watch the changing of the Guard.Then from there check out everything You may want to See.It sure beats dealing with the District's Traffic and Parking! GodLuck and Hope You and Your Family enjoy The Visit.S/F
    Yes I agree.. when I was at Quantico,Va. I took a tour of D.C. Just stay off 14th street.

You got to spend at least a half day at Arlington and at least a half day at He Marine Corps Heritage Museum in Quantico. If you go in late summer try to get tickets to the silent drill performance at 8th & I

You can get transportation from your Hotel for not much.

I think every other day in the morning the Silent drill team and the Band perform at the Marine Corps Memorial....I stayed right across the Street at the Best Western Rosslyn/Iwo Jima Be Damn sure to Hit the Museum of the Marine Corps At Quantico!

I was wondering if you knew no one can wear sneakers at the unknow soldiers tomb you have to wear shoes

semper fi enjoy your trip

stephen doc hansen

Credits
    Savings
    As with any "populated" area.
    Be aware of your surroundings and keep your family together

Most chow ( restaurants) in DC are ok if you want something just a little nicer
    Travel to VA can't recall city for the life of me-- it's NW of DC about 20 minutes

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks all for the insight. My wife and I our going up for TASK FORCE DELTA 40 year reunion. The orginizers have done an excllent job getting the things together for us to do. General Peter Pace will be the key note speaker at the event being one of the ones that were stationed with us. Will use some of your tips for sure. We are lucky to have rooms 3 blocks from the MALL so we can walk to all those sites. Thanks again for the information.

Thread Information