questions about my first duty station/Okinawa - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    E-3 and everything down are restricted to be back on base before midnight. If you are E-4 above then you can stay out all night but you have to be out of all drinking establishments at midnight. If your again a E-3 or lower you will have a battle body with you at all times when you leave base. Meaning you have to check out with one or more Marines to leave base.
    BGW It all depends on how you look at it! Personally, I had the best time of my life! I was @ 3rd Combat Engineers on Hansen. I got there March '77, spent Apr/May in JEST with 4th Marines. Spent 8 weeks Aug/Sep in Korea with the 1/9. Got back to Oki on Saturday, left on the USS Alamo the following Thursday on Operation Fortress Lightning..another month. Left between Xmas and New Years to Mt. Fuji with the 4th Marines, again. Got back to Oki the middle of Feb with 17 days left to rotation! I had a blast! Others hated it!
    As for obtaining a car... depends on your unit. Some units absolutly refuses to let any one get a POV unless your a E-5 or above. Some units however just want at least six months on island and also a duty driver.

You will see why alot of Marines hate okinawa, especially when Okinawa is your first duty station. You do not have rank to be out all night, dont have rank to be independent and most likely you will not have opportunity to get a POV. Your going to be stuck on base having to use taxies (honcho's) and all that ****.

Some Marines might venture out in town a little... but most Marines just stay on base at the barracks or e-clubs getting drunk.

Also I was on futenma and I ****ing loved it there... so small and so nice....

At the end... its just depends on how you see things. I left Okinawa less then a year ago so I have some what more updated information....

I can imagine 25 years ago being quite different then it is now. Okinawa over all has become increasingly strict to further try and prevent any wrong doings from ever occuring and when caught usually goes with quite a punishment. But of course some Marines find their own way to enjoy Okinawa.

I heard stories about Okinawa in the 90's and how great it was... I bet in the 80's and 70's you probably could get away with murder.

I was there in 62. Cinderalla liberty except on weekends. Steam bath, massage and honk job 2.00. Live in with female 15.00 per month. No auto except officers. Ashi beer 5 cents, Tory or Suntory 25-40 cents. Had to buy the bottle and leave in your fav bar. E club was 5 cents for beer 10 cents for shots. 50 drunk with 4 other buddies drinking boilermakers out of a lazy susan.

Just read a few minutes ago that 9000 Marines will be leaving Okinawa to Guam and other Asian bases to 'thin' our presence on the Island. Our presence has been 'thinned' worldwide while Korea, China, Iran and others are beefing up their military. Makes me worry what another 35 years of change will do....

If you get up to Camp Hanson ,check out Kinville and let some of us older Marines know ,if Chinanight or Dreamland, Club Hawaii,Snack Boogie, are still operating???? Spent lots of time and$$$$ in those clubs.... 1983-1984/ 1988-1989 with 6 months in PoHang ,Team Spirit 84...........

Yes sir, I was there 76 -77 I'm sure it's much different now. Kadena AFB chow hall was nice, they had people that came and cleared the table for you. You could get as much as you could eat. Club Cannon had a Band there that was pretty good, lets not forget the famous "Banana show". Yep it was fun. Good old days.

Howdy Bodidly58. What unit were you with on Oki, I was there 76-77 with Hq&Hq-18, MACG-18. I was in Pohang mar-apr and on Fortress Lightning in Sep-Oct 77. That's when that chopper went down. I was supposed to be on that bird but missed it because I had to get batteries for the radio and got there late. The only time I was ever late in the Corps and it likely saved my life.

Well, Marine, it may be moot and you'll find yourself on Guam instead.

Read thread at: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...a-deal-reached

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    APPZ,

Whatever you do, don't try and take orders for CLNC once you are done there. That place is what caused me to get out of the Corps due to the insanity that permeates everything and anything at the base. I had orders for 29 Palms and really regret not taking them because I probably would have had a better experience there instead of CLNC.

Jarhead1975 H&S Co. 3rd Combat Engineers Bn. (3rd DSG, then) I had been back from Pohang with 1/9 only 5 days before leaving to Mindoro, PI on Fortress Lightning. Yep, remember that CH 53 going down vividly. Not a good day. Still gets to me at times. The whole op was a disaster. A long story I probably will never tell...

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    If you get up to Camp Hanson ,check out Kinville and let some of us older Marines know ,if Chinanight or Dreamland, Club Hawaii,Snack Boogie, are still operating???? Spent lots of time and$$$$ in those clubs.... 1983-1984/ 1988-1989 with 6 months in PoHang ,Team Spirit 84...........
    You forgot the Keyhole! Man, was it impossible to find your way outta there after a few shots too many! LOL!

I wonder when this will actually happen. Hopefully after my 2 years are up.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=116105

During my time I worked with the volunteer,and we went on some great tours
    And like top said there are some great places to snorkel so enjoy your stay.
    I did!!
    Semper FI

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    30 years ago... LOL there was a place called KOBE steak house outside of Hansen. Food was awesome.

I was actually excited about leaving next week, but now that they're relocating 9,000 Marines from Oki, not so much.

Thread Information