questions about my first duty station/Okinawa
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

questions about my first duty station/Okinawa

I'm supposed to report into my unit next week and i have a couple questions about that. I'm an admin attached to the 1st MAW, i was told that i might go to camp foster or futenma, anyone knows which one? Also do i have to be a certain rank to drive a car/motorcycle? Last question, what's Okinawa really like for a Marine?

Credits
    Savings
    COMPLETE PROFILE

When we have an idea who we are talking to you will get answers

Quote Originally Posted by appz View Post
    I'm supposed to report into my unit next week and i have a couple questions about that. I'm an admin attached to the 1st MAW, i was told that i might go to camp foster or futenma, anyone knows which one? Also do i have to be a certain rank to drive a car/motorcycle? Last question, what's Okinawa really like for a Marine?
    My answers may be dated, was there '83-84. But Futenma is the air station that is located up on the hill above Foster. Here is a possible scenario: You live on Foster but work on Futenma. Knew a few admins in that situation.

As far as rank to drive, you will need someone to answer who has been there recently. From a post I read in the past, if memory serves, you cannot have a POV as an E-1 or E-2, but do some research on it.

And the last question is so broad, it is difficult to answer. Search this site. There were some good answers on the subject. It depends on what you like to do. As an 01, the duty should be 0730 to 1630. You will have a lot of free time. There are a lot of activities, good beaches, plenty of sight seeing, sports, gyms, interesting food, etc., scuba diving, whatever. Google what to do on okinawa.

That makes sense. Hopefully i get to work and live on foster though. From what i'm hearing so far it seems like it'll be a pretty good duty station. One thing that seems to make a lot of Marines hate Oki seems to be the restrictions. Especially the one where you have to be back on base by 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    COMPLETE PROFILE

When we have an idea who we are talking to you will get answers
    I'm not sure what else to edit.

You have to be back on base by midnight? I never heard of that when I was there.

I spent two tours in Oki from 91-92 and 98. If my memory serves me right, I didn't think that there were any rank restrictions for Marines who are permanently assigned there. There are alot of Marines deployed to Okinawa on a tempory basis, and those Marines were not allowed to own a pov.

Foster is a nice base with plenty to do. I would suggest you stay busy in Oki by taking in the culture and learning something new. In my time there, you were either an alcoholic or a gym rat! MWR has alot of tours that you can do and the water is great for scuba diving!

I was th PersO with MWSS-172 in 91-92 at Futenma which is right next to Foster. Our MWSG-17 headquarters was located on Foster. Either location is sweet, compared to others, i.e., Hansen, Schwab, etc. I was at Hansen in 77-78 and spent most of my time in the field or at Pohang, South Korea and Mt. Fuji, Japan.

It didn't hurt that I had a drivers license and car when I was at Futenma. There is a lot to do and see on Okinawa. Also, if you like to SCUBA or snorkel, you can't beat Okinawa.

That makes sense. Hopefully i get to work and live on foster though. From what i'm hearing so far it seems like it'll be a pretty good duty station. One thing that seems to make a lot of Marines hate Oki seems to be the restrictions. Especially the one where you have to be back on base by 12.
    Never heard of that either..look at my profile then get your fixed..

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    I was th PersO with MWSS-172 in 91-92 at Futenma which is right next to Foster. Our MWSG-17 headquarters was located on Foster. Either location is sweet, compared to others, i.e., Hansen, Schwab, etc. I was at Hansen in 77-78 and spent most of my time in the field or at Pohang, South Korea and Mt. Fuji, Japan.

It didn't hurt that I had a drivers license and car when I was at Futenma. There is a lot to do and see on Okinawa. Also, if you like to SCUBA or snorkel, you can't beat Okinawa.
    LOL yea having a driving license does help to pass time..I remember my buddy had one of those little pick-ups that was a two setter and when we went to town we pile up in back and pay him to take us to town.. he had a flat on it one night and we all got out and lifted it up and change the tire with out a jack it was so much fun over there..

Quote Originally Posted by cw1970 View Post
    You have to be back on base by midnight? I never heard of that when I was there.

I spent two tours in Oki from 91-92 and 98. If my memory serves me right, I didn't think that there were any rank restrictions for Marines who are permanently assigned there. There are alot of Marines deployed to Okinawa on a tempory basis, and those Marines were not allowed to own a pov.

Foster is a nice base with plenty to do. I would suggest you stay busy in Oki by taking in the culture and learning something new. In my time there, you were either an alcoholic or a gym rat! MWR has alot of tours that you can do and the water is great for scuba diving!
    I definitely plan on doing as much as possible, learning the culture, language, pretty much spend as much time off base as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post

The only bad thing i've heard about Futenma is the size of the base. Hopefully there's no rank restrictions on driving.

I was there Dec 76 to Nov 77. Hq&Hq-18, MACG-18 based on Futenma At the time, there was a helo squadron at Foster, but mostly stationed at Futenma. It's been a while and certainly changes have occurred. You'll just have to wait to get there. Scuba diving was a most popular sport there in my day. You can get your open water certification there. Plus that is some of the best diving you can do. The coral off the sea wall is fantastic.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hook up with AF girls are Kadena and stay away from the "buy me drinky" girls in the local beverage establishments.

Credits
    Savings
    And what's wrong with "buy me dinky" girls ?
    LOL----------

One in particular was a high priced companion,she wanted $ 5.00 a night !

AH---- the good times

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    Hook up with AF girls are Kadena and stay away from the "buy me drinky" girls in the local beverage establishments.
    Yes stay away from the buy me drinky W H O R E s,, you might get something that Ajax want clean up...

Last edited by Marine1955; 04-25-12 at 12:21 PM. Reason: sPELLING

Thread Information