questions about my first duty station/Okinawa - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lol, what exactly is a buy me drink girl?

A buy me drinky girl is a girl who hangs out/ works at the bars that most GI's go to. They usually ask you to buy them drinks and latch on to you the whole time. There drinks are watered down, but yours is full strength. That way you get s**t faced and loose track of how much you spent! Sometimes they are prostitutes. Also, as I recall, they are all Filipinos shipped over to work in bars to take money from troops!

Beware!!

Quote Originally Posted by cw1970 View Post
    A buy me drinky girl is a girl who hangs out/ works at the bars that most GI's go to. They usually ask you to buy them drinks and latch on to you the whole time. There drinks are watered down, but yours is full strength. That way you get s**t faced and loose track of how much you spent! Sometimes they are prostitutes. Also, as I recall, they are all Filipinos shipped over to work in bars to take money from troops!

Beware!!
    Not all are Filipinos. stay away from creep street Hahahaha

You will learn quickly, Okinawan Cherry Boy, let the good times roll,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    You will learn quickly, Okinawan Cherry Boy, let the good times roll,lol,Semper Fidelis.
    make sure you let them know your a cherry boy hahahahahahaha!!!!!! you will love it then..

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    I was th PersO with MWSS-172 in 91-92 at Futenma which is right next to Foster. Our MWSG-17 headquarters was located on Foster. Either location is sweet, compared to others, i.e., Hansen, Schwab, etc. I was at Hansen in 77-78 and spent most of my time in the field or at Pohang, South Korea and Mt. Fuji, Japan.

It didn't hurt that I had a drivers license and car when I was at Futenma. There is a lot to do and see on Okinawa. Also, if you like to SCUBA or snorkel, you can't beat Okinawa.
    Looks like we may have spent some time together on Oki! I was there 77-78, also. And spent 8 weeks at Pohang (August-September) I was fortunate enough to have gone on three flyaways and one float (Op Fortress Lightning), so I didn't get to see all of the Island. Great experience! Semper-Fi!

Never heard of a curfew, only one I remember was in Korea, where we actually were issued SOFA cards and had to be back on base by midnight. But don't remember such for Oki. Also there was no rank restriction on driver's licence that I can remember. Whether you enjoy your tour or not depends totally on you. Some liked it others did not. It's an individual thing. I know a friend who did 7 years on Oki, even married a local girl so it's a personal thing. There are lots of things to do if you look for them. Drinking and scuba seemed to be the most popular when I was there.

"Okinawa cherry boy". Keep your eyes open and hold on to your wallet. cw1970 gives a good definition of buy me drinky girls, they are very tricky, like he says some are prostitutes, all have the same goal, TO GET YOUR MONEY. Also dont be surprised if while with one hand she is handling your "equipment", the other is going for the wallet. Like he said "BEWARE".

I was in Pohang Mar - Apr 77 and was on Mindoro Island for operation Fortress Lightning, I was with Hq&Hq-18, MACG-18. Who were you with? Looks like we chewed some of the same dirt.

Wow, Oki sounds fun but what's with all the weird things lol. Cherry boy, buy me drink girl, stealing my wallet. Haha i think i'll enjoy the next two years.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket and never carry very much money with you..If your nice to the locals they will respond in kind.. I was in stationed in Naha,Okinawa Japan and I had a Japanese Captain I became friends with and on some weekends he would take me to the nicer bars where they don't say buy me drink boy-san..
    Naha is great to go and see and to tour around the city with friends and also they have Beer vending machines on the street when I was there..
    You could buy a beer and walk down the street with it and drink it...OH yea. don't be surprised if a woman come in the head your in That happen to me in 74 when on my first time over seas I was taking a dump and moma-san walks in and sit down across from me say Morning Marine-san to say the less I was shocked trying to cover up when she was finished she got up and left.. also they are or were allowed to pizz out doors into benjo trenches or ditches DON'T you try to pizz outside you'll get arrested they are allowed to do it..
    And don't ever try to jump over them my Buddie and I tried and boy did we smell ...
    Ahhhh the good old days wish I could go back...

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Don't be trying to hang out at Camp Schwab.

E-3 and everything down are restricted to be back on base before midnight. If you are E-4 above then you can stay out all night but you have to be out of all drinking establishments at midnight. If your again a E-3 or lower you will have a battle body with you at all times when you leave base. Meaning you have to check out with one or more Marines to leave base.

As for obtaining a car... depends on your unit. Some units absolutly refuses to let any one get a POV unless your a E-5 or above. Some units however just want at least six months on island and also a duty driver.

You will see why alot of Marines hate okinawa, especially when Okinawa is your first duty station. You do not have rank to be out all night, dont have rank to be independent and most likely you will not have opportunity to get a POV. Your going to be stuck on base having to use taxies (honcho's) and all that ****.

Some Marines might venture out in town a little... but most Marines just stay on base at the barracks or e-clubs getting drunk.

Also I was on futenma and I ****ing loved it there... so small and so nice....

At the end... its just depends on how you see things. I left Okinawa less then a year ago so I have some what more updated information....

Sleeves down all year

How is it over there now that we are sleeves down all year?

My MOS instructors used to tell stories about how everyone waited until it was time to get back to summer uniform so they could roll their sleeves due to the heat and humidity.

You can just off your blouse when its hot, so I do not see the problem. Yah sure when your walking from work to the chow hall it might get a little hot and sweaty but its not like that lasts long any how.

I liked sleeved down all year becasue I no longer have to trouble myself with nice sleeves.

Thread Information