Field Radio Operator or Mortarman?
Create Post

Question Field Radio Operator or Mortarman?

Good evening Marines,

My name is Nate and I'm a Poolee in Los Angeles and right now I just need overall clarity as I make some MOS decisions. I'm stuck between FRO and Mortarman in Infantry. I know that in SOI/ITB I don't have a choice but I hear that Rifleman gets full so they will take volunteers for other MOSs. If I'm wrong please correct or guide me in the right direction.

So, I'm just asking from Marines who are Field Radio Operators or Mortarman or Marines who have worked with these Marines to please give me some clarity, experiences, and pros and cons of these MOSs. I don't mind being outside the wire or seeing combat. I have done my research on these MOSs so no need to explain what they do. I just need something that could help me get my head in the right direction so I can make a decision on what to choose.

Thank you Marines.

It all depends what you want to do.

As a 0341 , I learned comm as we used it. I carried it for my platoon.

I learned all aspects of comm over the years while I was in from my comm buddies attached to us as well as Comm SNCOs.

As I moved to different units , I learned more about different things all the way up to Division level .

As an 0621 you will get to learn alot, first being in school at Twentynine palms, then going to the Fleet. You will cross train where ever you go. That is the best part of the Marines, they want you to learn. Hard, yes but worth it.

I cross train with alot of MOS , I encountered like 01,02,03,04, 5811,AAV, DRill Instructors, FAST, RECON etc.. It makes you a better Marine when you have that knowledge.

If you want the Grunts then go to 0341(Mortarman) or 03XX route and later if you want Lat move later to 0621 (Radio Operator).

But whatever you do , focus on being a Marine first.

And remember EVERY MARINE IS A RIFLEMAN, WE NEVER HAVE ENOUGH!

Semper Fi,
    CEYA!

Thank you Sgt Ceya!

I ended u
    p choosing the 03XX route. At SOI I'm going to try to be a 41. Thank you for all the advice I will take it with me and learn as much as I can throughout my enlistment.
    How do you like being a 41, by the way?

Be careful. You're right about the SOI thing and choosing your MOS, but depending on your company you might not even get the chance. Some companies don't have the option for mortarmen, the same with the other weapons MOSs (Machine gunner, assaultment, tow gunner, **** like that.) and also, it usually isn't based around whether or not riflemen is FULL, but that the others are empty. and usually, you have to compete to get those weapons jobs. and as a mortarmen, you'll need a high GT score. and if you're a **** bag when you first start SOI, they wont pick you for it.

wont let me edit my post, so heres some additional info for you.

The only way to gurantee yourself a spot as a mortarmen is by going reservist, that way you actually pick 0341 and not 03xx.

and also, an important part to add about mortarmen: alot of the time you won't even do anything with a mortar system. ours just patrolled around with us every day. sometimes carrying a 60 on patrol / setting up a position somewhere.

At least as a mortarman you'll get really good at playing cards hah! (had to throw that one in there) .. But seriously, if you're committed to the 03 field there should be openings when you get to ITB but who knows? When you get there and all the instructors start making their pitch about they're respective fields ('be an 0331 and cut down herds of taliban! accuracy by volume!' etc..) maybe you'll want to do something else. At the same time, be mentally prepared to not get what you want.

Yup 41's and Spades. Dig a hole and play cards all day. Seems like you wanted to be a grunt over a fro. My buddy is a 41 he's the sections RO. He knows just about as much as I do when it comes to your basic VHF. Thats mainly it on the ground side unless we set up more complex satcomm or other forms of comm. You seem like the guy that would like to be a fro but only in a grunt bn or line company. You wouldn't get to choose what type of BN you went to in comm school.

Thank you Marines for all the information you have gave.

@wilsontc11 Thank you for the additional info. So basically you are an 0311 with a Mortar on your back?

@kt3of3
    I see what you mean. My mom raised me to think like that so I'll be fine on doing that, but I tend to hope a lot without a backup plan so I'll make sure I do.

@Tookie22 You're right. A lot
    people said that it seems like I want to be a grunt. I never thought I would be EVER but I'm up for the challenge.

Is there any job in the 03 field where you don't
    play cards all day? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Sutton View Post
    Thank you Marines for all the information you have gave.

@wilsontc11 Thank you for the additional info. So basically you are an 0311 with a Mortar on your back?
    I'm an 0311, so i don't do anything with mortars but the mortarmen in my platoon / company do the same **** as us on a daily basis. and those are the mortarmen that man the 60's. there are others that man 81's, idk what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Sutton View Post
    Thank you Sgt Ceya!

I ended up choosing the 03XX route. At SOI I'm going to try to be a 41. Thank you for all the advice I will take it with me and learn as much as I can throughout my enlistment.
    How do you like being a 41, by the way?
    I like being a 0341, you learn alot.

I was able to learn about different calls of fires by being sent to different Batteries ( Artillery) units like 5 /10, 3/11 1/12, 12th HQ), Naval gun fires from ANGLICO. learning LONG and LATS on maps helps puts things together that you learn from school, the fleet and FO school.

Learning TRAP (Tacical Rescue of Air Personel), learning how to shoot better by going to LAR units (Light Armored Recon BN). Going to take scout classes with both with STA and Recon guys.

You learn from your 0331,51,52 counter parts in Wpns plt and Wpns Co.

Alot of my original plt guys hated being an 41 and became 11s but they came back.

I am 0311 and 0341, I think I got the best world as Mortars shoot all the time, we never have to run out of rounds.

And they are the best bunch of guys I have met ( love and hate).

And yes we play cards alot and are good at it.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    To your direct front, ACTION!

As a radio operator you can get attached to any USMC unit: the wing, combat logistics or infantry unit. Though the basics of the MOS's are the same regardless of the unit, there are some minor differences. If you are in an infantry company in a battalion, you'll do your job, train 0311's who have the billet of squad radio operators, maintain comm gear, go on humps, and cross train with the 03's. If you are with battalion or regiment, then you will do the duties of a radio operator but not go outside the wire much. You may do some infantry related stuff but not as much. Most of the time you will be sitting in the Command and Control Center manning and programming radios. For radio operators in the combat logistics, or air wing, life is a little different.

Thread Information