ID card
Create Post

Thread: ID card

ID card

Evidently, I need a new ID card. I shop at Lowe's and Home Depot alot and was getting the 10% discount. I have been told I need a current ID card. Mine expired in 1972. Where and how do I go about getting a new one? Thanks for any help.

You actually got away with using an ID card that has been expired for the last 40 years? I don't even know how that's possible. I would suggest trying to go to your nearest military installation (regardless of what branch the base is under) to get a retiree ID (they are blue now), depending on what your DD214 says anyway.

I believe unless you were medically discharged,the only ID card you can get is the VA card.

Neither place questioned it. It is proof I was a veteran, that is what was required. I really don't see why it would be questioned. But, Lowe's did let me make the purchase. I will see the next trip. We do have a VA clinic here. They will steer me I guess.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Visit any VA Medical Center, bring your DD-214 and they will issue you a VA I.D. card with your picture on it.

Some VA Centers issue it right away, others mail it to you, 10-14 days.

Good Luck.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

I will try that. Thanks for all the info.

Credits
    Savings
    First you should not be getting a Discount at Home Depot because you are not Ret.
    Military or on active duty Military. Someone is droping the ball here, I know because
    I work at Home Depot. Samething at Lowes.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Home Depot Veterans Discount Program*. Same thing at Lowes*

As we announced earlier this year, we offer a year-round, 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, at our U.S. stores to all veterans, active duty military personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and their immediate families. We offer this discount to thank them for their outstanding service to this nation and to help make their homes more comfortable and safe. Customers requesting the discount should present a valid military ID.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce59 View Post
    First you should not be getting a Discount at Home Depot because you are not Ret.
    Military or on active duty Military. Someone is droping the ball here, I know because
    I work at Home Depot. Samething at Lowes.
    WRONG, at lowes you just have to be a Veteran.

Home Depot requires a valid VA ID card, however if you want the 10% discount you must have Service Connected on your card. I just recieved my new card with SC printed under my photo last week. Lowes just requires a VA ID card.

I had the state of Texas Department of Public Safety throw in a VETERAN'S DESIGNATION on my driver's license. Had to present a DD dos uno cuatro. Will this do? Also in state of Texas, you get a veterans designation on your concealed handgun license. If that aint proof enough?????

North Carolina also designates Veteran on their Drivers Licenses after showing your DD-214

I think all states came on board with this driver's license designation. Although, this is better than nothing, it still lacks that official look to where people can take it seriously than say a FEDERAL ID card for veterans distributed by the Department of Defense.
    A couple of states like Virginia and Delaware issue out a separate ID card respectively. In the case of Virginia, they only allow those serving 180 days EXCLUDING for training purposes nullifying groups like reservist and National Guard NOT called up for active duty. All other states allow the designator based on honorable service despite time on active duty served. Meaning National Guard and reservist can get it. Which I don't know why Virginia is the exception because these designators are not meant for VA benefits.
    I still think a NATIONAL ID CARD for veterans by the Federal Government would make it more official and would be taken a bit more seriously than a designation on a driver's license.

Another words, give us an official military ID card exactly like we had on active duty only it reading VETERAN OF THE U.S. ARMED FORCES with your branch of service logo on it.

Thread Information