Need Help Join the Marine Corps
Closed Thread

Need Help Join the Marine Corps

I have been trying to join the Marine Corps for years now. Every time i go to the recruitment office i either get no, or a maybe. The reason for this is my metabolic disorder called Hypothyroidism. I have to take a medication called Synthyroid. Because i have been taking this medication for years, the recruiter said i need to be off my meds for a year, and show proofs from a doctor i don't need Synthroid just to begin the evaluation at MEPS. However i found this.

"The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard. The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are an authenticated history of:

(1) Goiter, persistent or untreated (240).
    (2) Hypothyroidism, uncontrolled by medication (244).
    (3) Cretinism (243).
    (4) Hyperthyroidism (242).
    (5) Thyroiditis (245)."

http://www.military.com/Recruiting/C...dical,,00.html

As you can see " Hypothyroidism, uncontrolled by medication" is a disqualifier . My condition is controlled. I have even found a post by a someone who said a recruited told him Hypothyroidism is weaverable. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/ar...p/t-50575.html

Except the recruiter i spoke to told me, "there is no such weaver."

Can anyone better explain the things i have found? And confirm it is impossible for me to join the Marine Corps because i have Hypothyroidism which needs to be treated by medication called Synthroid?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread Closed until profile is completely filled out as per site rules!!!

Contact any Moderator or Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is filled out.

Thread Information