Vision and Scout Sniper
Create Post

Vision and Scout Sniper

Good afternoon Marines. I'll get straight to the point. My recruiter is about to send me down to MEPS to DEP in and he said he is going to try his best to get me an infantry slot. I haven't set my heart on any specific MOS because I know my MOS will depend on the needs of the Marine Corps, but I want to know my options.

Scout Sniper is something I have an interest in and I know you don't become one straight out of boot. So I asked my recruiter to tell me about it and he gave me a pretty brief answer and said that my glasses would most likely prevent me from pursuing Scout Sniper, but I read this thread by MyCorps:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...OC-Information
    I also read this thread but it is 7 years old.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...=sniper+vision

I noticed this prerequisite when reading MyCorps thread.

3. Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes. Color blindness is discouraged.
    I'm not saying my recruiter lied to me but maybe he just didn't know. I do wear glasses and I am not colorblind. So my question would be does having glasses or vision problems put you at a disadvantage for Scout Sniper? What I mean is would they look at someone that doesn't have vision problems and take them instead of me for that reason?

P.S. My recruiter is aware of my vision. My vision is not terrible. If I take my glasses off I can still see pretty well but thing off in the distance are a little harder to see clearly.
    Feel free to ask more questions if you want more info.

Thanks Marines,
    -WhiteMW

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0317.htm

Check there and all the info you need is there. But before you worry about being a scout sniper I'd first worry about making it through Recruit training , ITB and it appears if you have to a least be a lance corporal to even make it to the school then you still need to be sent to the school and pass school. Not to discourage you but there is a long road from where you sit to being a scout sniper.

I understand that, I just want to explore all possibilities. Thanks for the help.

Dont think your recruter lied to you and your right, he probably just didnt know. Have him get the info to the scout sniper plt closest to where you are and talk to an active duty sniper. He can also get in contact with one of the schools closest to you. might take him a little work, bt that is what he is supposed to do.
    The problem might also lie in btaining an infantry job. Beliee itor not, those fill up pretty fast.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up On Tha J-O-B-Training

Shoot a 238 on Qual. Day. You do that & You'll have Em by tha Balls Consistantly and You'll have every Division in tha USMC...sending You too where ever their on tha J-O-B...as their Desiginated SNIPER

Last edited by Lisa 23; 04-17-12 at 07:01 AM. Reason: skirting the language sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Shoot a 238 on Qual. Day. You do that & You'll have Em by tha Balls Consistantly and You'll have every Division in tha USMC...sending You too where ever their on tha J-O-B...as their Desiginated SNIPER

I have seen people shoot table 1 with expert and by the time they leave table 2 they are no longer expert.

I shot between 235 and 242, consecutively for 9 years.... I was never a S/S

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Do it on Qual.Day let's See how You do when tha Targets Shoot Back?

Is dat right...there are a Few Marines here that Shot Expert against tha NVA,and their CONG Brothers...Kinda on tha Job Training Sniper anti Sniper...SAVVY

Well, there are a few Marines on here who shot expert against the Iraqis, AQ, the Taliban, the Habr Gidr, and a few others. A lot of "stuff" has happened in the last 40 years brother.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Mike View Post
    Well, there are a few Marines on here who shot expert against the Iraqis, AQ, the Taliban, the Habr Gidr, and a few others. A lot of "stuff" has happened in the last 40 years brother.
    No doubt

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll drink too Dat...Keep up tha great Job kill a Camel F**Ker for MaMa and the USMC S/F

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I know a few snipers with glasses. Usually, they'll send you to get laser eye correctional surgery pretty quickly but wearing glasses isn't an instant disqualifier. The main things you need are an 03XX MOS, expert rifle score and a 1st class PFT. When you actually go to sniper school will be up to the Bn you're with.

Thread Information