My intro & questions
Create Post

My intro & questions

Hey everyone I just want to introduce myself and hopefully get some info. I have already learned a lot here and will continue to read. I hope this is the right forum, if not feel free to move this. Anyone I'm Joe, I 23 years old, I have a bachelors degree (3.9 gpa). I have been interested in the military for a long time, particulary Air Force and Marines. I really like the culture of the Marines and the fact that it is the toughest branch.

I haven't been to a recruiter yet, but I have sort of researched the various options online for a while. I am inclined to want to enlist rather than apply to OCS, mainly because I do not feel competitive for OCS and I think some time as an enlisted
    Marine could help me be a better leader. I was wondering what everyone thinks of enlisting with a degree? Is it possible to go to OCS after being enlisted for a period of time?

Lastly I was wondering how the job selection process works for enlisting, do I get to pick a job or list of jobs I like. I would really like enlisted aircrew as I love aviation, (prolly why I also like the Airforce), but being aircrew in the Marines seems like the best of both worlds. Also something like aav crew seems cool.

your over all scores on the test at recruiting station will tell you what you qualify for, and as for going to OCS after being enlisted for a time,, you can do that and as far as i am concerned the officers who went through the ranks for a while where the best officers i ever served under,, I do not know how hard it is any more to do that, so much has changed, but a recruiter will be able to answer all your questions,

You cannot apply for a particular job (MOS) like enlisted aircrew. Instead, you pick a program that includes enlisted aircrew along with a number of other related aviation MOS's. You can find these programs by doing a GOOGLE search for USMC enlisted MOS's. The programs you are eligible for will be determined by your ASVAB scores (the higher your score the more MOS's you will qualify for).

Your recruiter will be able to answer your questions about OCS eligibility. Also, if you are not interested in becoming a commissioned officer, the USMC has Warrant Officer programs that make enlisted Marines into officers of Marines. To be a Warrant Officer, you must be an expert in your MOS which takes years of training and experience so normally outstanding SSgt's and GySgt's are selected to become Warrant Officers.

You need to sit down with a recruiter; they are trained to answer all your questions with no obligations and can begin your enlistment process if that's what you decide to do.

You have a high GPA. I am curious, why don't you feel competitive for OCS?

OCS is a challenge, but I would encourage you not to be deterred by difficulty. Both sides of the Marine Corps (E or O) will present you with unique challenges. Decide what it is you really want to do, and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    You have a high GPA. I am curious, why don't you feel competitive for OCS?

OCS is a challenge, but I would encourage you not to be deterred by difficulty. Both sides of the Marine Corps (E or O) will present you with unique challenges. Decide what it is you really want to do, and go for it.
    I just don't really have any work experience or leadership experience.

What is your degree in? Maybe, if you are into Aviation, you should think about being O, so you can fly. I wish, I would have gone to college just so I could come in and fly an AH-1W.

Quote Originally Posted by SBYates View Post
    What is your degree in? Maybe, if you are into Aviation, you should think about being O, so you can fly. I wish, I would have gone to college just so I could come in and fly an AH-1W.
    My degree is premed. I guess to me it seems like it is very difficult to get selected to OCS, so it's not really like I can just decide to go.

Thread Information