Corporals Course
Create Post

Corporals Course

So I got promoted at the beginning of the month, and i am looking to see if i can get any info on the new corporals course. As I understand it, it isnt the same as it used to be?

Looking almost for what to expect when I attend.

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Don't know a thang'...but congratulation's on the promotion!

Thanks. The link that it provided in the original post was pretty good but i have heard it has been changing a lot.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    not sure what "it used to be"?.....but now it's on MarineNet as well as all the other PME courses. Corporals Course is now required for promotion to Sgt. as of Oct 2013/FY2014

I have the book from my residence Cpls Course and the material that is in there is the exact same as the MarineNet online one.

yeah my apologies i was referring to the resident course. Mainly what im looking for is for it to not be a hazefest when i show up there. I heard back in the day it used to be.

I havent completed the non-res yet finished some of the classes but not all of them.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It'll be based on the course 1st Sgt, SNCOIC, and advisors/instructors

I did resident course last year(2013) and it was pretty rough. PT/combat conditioning 2-3 times per day and MCMAP. I didn't consider it a haze fest though, just physically tough.

I was an advisor/instructor for a Cpls Course this year. Our 1st Sgt and SNCOIC was more focused on leadership stuff and drill/sword manual/guidon manual. We only PT'd once each day and it was easy PT gear runs and such, no boots/utes or combat conditioning. We expected alot from the students and let them know when they were f****d up but in no way degraded them or a anything.

How you are as students at the course will dictate how the course goes. If you're dicked up then you'll be treated like recruits. If you have some good leaders that step in and take charge though you'll get left alone for the most part.

I am only speaking from experience as a student and then as an advisor/instructor from my 2 courses. Each one is gonna be different based on the staff and their leadership/teaching style.

Congrats, Corporal - I've heard some of the cutting scores are hard to make these days, so well done!

I should dig out my books from the course I did as a reservist when I picked up Corporal, I think that was 1988? 89? Whichever, I don't think it would help much these days.

But we had to try to cover everything in a 2-week ADT session, so I do remember it was pretty intense. Long (LONG) days in the classroom, lots of drill, PT only once a day, but it was some good training.

And it was down at Parris Island, so going back there as an NCO was a TRIP, man!

So I got nothing to contribute, really, just felt like talking.

s/f

Congrats on the promotion.

Corporals Course is done at the command level. It tends to be run by a First Sergeant or Sergeant Major with a bunch of SNCO and Sergeants under him/her. A good professional Corporals course won't be a hazefest, but will still be exhausting. My Battalion runs one a year that it sends as many of the Corporals to from each company as possible. I didn't get to go to one, but all my friends who did loved it. The First Sergeant who ran ours for 2 years did a great job with it.

challenge coins

Last edited by UH1N; 09-15-14 at 09:05 AM. Reason: meant to start a new thread

2/3 of the way through as of this Friday ready to graduate.

Corporals Course must be the newer version on NCO School, which I attended in 1956.

Congrats on the promotion , We had NCO school both Sgt's and Cpl's for a 30 day class. I guess they don't Blood Stripe You no more do they ???

I took my Corporals course in the Nam. As I was one of the last one's standing where we took many casualties and we needed more NCO's I got promoted. That's the only course I ever took.

Never had any NCO courses, never heard of them, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information