Mt Fuji... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt Fuji...

Jan-Feb of '78 with the 4th Marines. And there were HOT showers! Myself and 'Bubbles' Malone worked on those damn things for two weeks before the main party arrived. Then, it was a six week party until it was time to go. We built a guard tower at the ammo bunkers. Didn't climb the mountain, tho. We had a nasty storm while there. A CH46 Sea Knight crashed just outside the compound killing all four crew. Only bad memory of my short stay there.

Rooger...3rd Combat Engineers out of Hansen, I take it?

I was also there with Kilo 3/4. I remember the helo crash well. A blinding snow storm came out of nowhere, as I recall. The chopper had just ferried Marines from my unit and was probably unable to tell its proximity to the ground on its return to pick up more. The ground was white with snow in no time. I was practically less than 50 yards from the site. No smoke or fire; just flattened like a soda can. We humped back to camp. I may be a little fuzzy on the details. It was a long time ago. I was also involved with the recovery effort of the helo crash during Fortress Lightning in the Philippines.

was there in 73 & 74 with BLT 3/9 I was in F-2/12 did not climb it some buddies did

Rgr That, 3rd Cbt. bravo company 2nd Plt

Two months in Oct-Nov 1963. With 12th Marines, and we lived in tents, with a hike to the showers. Never climbed the Mt, but have fond memories of clouds floating by 6 ft off the deck, and bar fights and getting laid in the little ville right off the camp enterance. Long time ago !

I was there with 2/4 on October 19th, the day of typhoon Tip and the fire. I never climbed Mt. Fuji, but will never forget our fallen brothers the day of the fire. It has been 34 years now and I will never forget that day. Sorry this post doesn't pertain to who climbed Fuji, but when I saw Eric Hood's post, I had to say something to all my brothers. You will never be forgotten. Semper Fi

Semper Fi, kfahren. I haven't forgotten either.
    Eric

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Been there, done that(climbed Fuji). I think Fuji was the best duty station the Corps had during my time. I went there for winter training Dec 1982- Jan 1983 and then came back as permanent party in May of 1983 and stayed until the tracs/tank unit was temp shut down(March 1984). Never understood that move. Great dining hall, great place for a Marine to be.

Lt Col Fox led 1/6 up Mt Fuji in July 1983. A good many infantry Marines fell out and did not make it to the top. As I recall there were a few promotion at the peak.

Just like kfahren, I was there when Tip blew through. I was also there earlier in '79 and had a great view of Fuji, but never had the chance to climb it. Then, the whole time I was there around Tip time, I never saw the famous mountain for the clouds. I even took my camera that time.

Not of my own experience but of my father's (a lifer w/30 years service) he would talk story (even more after I was in) about his time at Tent Camp #2 at Gotemba (Goat Town they called it) at the base of Fujiyama. This was during the initial occupation after 1945. He had said that along the route there were small shrines where he got inscriptions on his "Fuji Stick" does anyone know what these look like? Any pics? My wife is from Ohito-cho near Fujiyama but is unfamiliar with this practice herself.

Fuji sticks

Quote Originally Posted by kbay0351 View Post
    Climbed in '94 with 2/3...5 tons took us to the dropoff point and we hoofed it up in a couple hours. I remember a few hardcores ran up. Everybody ran down, though, easier on the knees. I remember at the top in the crater all the words in different languages made with rocks. Pretty cool.
    I climbed it with Echo Co 2/3 in 1985 in the winter. We thought we weren't going to have to climb it but battalion commander got special clearance to go up in winter. Did Super Squad there as well. Good Times. I didn't want to pay the $5 for the. Fuji Stick. So glad I did. It got so foggy I couldn't see my hand in my face. When it past I looked behind me and realized it wasn't the fog. We had walked through the clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbogus View Post
    Not of my own experience but of my father's (a lifer w/30 years service) he would talk story (even more after I was in) about his time at Tent Camp #2 at Gotemba (Goat Town they called it) at the base of Fujiyama. This was during the initial occupation after 1945. He had said that along the route there were small shrines where he got inscriptions on his "Fuji Stick" does anyone know what these look like? Any pics? My wife is from Ohito-cho near Fujiyama but is unfamiliar with this practice herself.
    That's right. There were stages all the way up the mountain. Each one you past a local would put a stamp on your Fuji Stick.

I was with 2/4 in 1979 am trying to figure this out was there during the fire just found this site semper fi.

Thread Information