The count down is on.. I could use some advice!
Create Post

The count down is on.. I could use some advice!

Hey everyone! I've been in the DEP since last July, and I have 54 days until I ship to MCRD Sandiego on June 4th. My IST scores are decent I think,(15 pull ups, 94 crunches, 11:09 run time) but I find myself getting more and more nervous as the days until my departure continue to dwindle. My MOS field is 0600,(communications) and I don't really know much about it. So if any one has any advice on this particular MOS field, I would really appreciate it if I could hear from you. Also, I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on how to keep the nerves away, ha ha. What did you do back when you all were poolees and you started to get nervous before boot camp?Thank you all and have a good day. God bless! I can't wait to earn the title!

The nerves are going to be there. Just work through it and know you’ll make it!! What helped me is I knew people who graduated before me and I told myself if they can do it, so can I. Take one day at a time and grind it out, you’ll be fine. For now work on your endurance… You can never have enough. Don’t worry about your times, but I would increase the mileage. Obviously keep doing pull-ups, push-ups, and ab work.

Thumbs up

Alrighty, thank you for taking the time from your day and replying! I will hit the ground running and just do my very best. Leave no regrets, right? Thanks again!

Cannot tell from your profile if you are still in school, but if you are, that is your priority right now. Focus on completing with good grades and graduating.

Otherwise, stay busy. Don't sit around with idle time and dwell on it. The advice previously given is sound. Many have done it before, so you can do it, too, one day at a time.

The "nerves" is just anxiousness. When you think about it and get anxious, refocus. Go work out. Go run. Keep preparing yourself by reading Marine Corps knowledge. Just keep in mind, you just need to listen, comprehend, and do. Everything else falls into place.

As far as the IST, I completely agree with the endurance advice. Because you will be tested at 3 miles, if you are not already doing so, start building that endurance. I would not worry about miles, but run by time.

For instance, run four days a week at 15 minutes each time, and each week build it up. Week 2 might be M-15, Tues, 20, Wed-off, Thurs-15, Fri-off, Sat-20 min. Week 3 at 20, 25, 20, 25, etc, until you get to 30 minutes. Then run each run at 30 min, and once a week a longer run of say, 40 to 50 min.

Yes sir, I am still in high school. I'm anxious to be done and start this new chapter in my life. I have been running, and last night I did a 6.5 mile run just to see how hard it would be. It was tiring, and needless to say, I slept like a baby last night. Ha ha, but I lift weights 2 times a day,, and I have a strong upper body, but little chicken legs, so I am trying to incorporate more leg workouts into the mix. I work every night except Wednesdays doing landscaping and on Wednesdays I am working out with my recruiter and the rest of the poolees from this area. I'm doing a lot of low weight high rep exercises to build endurance, and I think its working. I'm doing my best do become physically ready, I'm just going to give it my all and hope that good things come from that.

As for my MOS curiosity, if you know any Marines with a 06XX MOS, send em my way, because I have a few questions. That would be greatly appreciated and I do want to thank you all for helping me out. Thanks guys! Have a great day!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stay Calm and Stay Focused.
    Don't let your nerves get the best of you and don't overthink everything.
    Forget about all the questions and answers on your MOS.
    One step at a time.

Earning the Title of a " United States Marine " is step one.

Spend some quality time with your Family and Friends. That will ease your anxiety.

Best of Luck to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethen1013 View Post
    Yes sir, I am still in high school. I'm anxious to be done and start this new chapter in my life. I have been running, and last night I did a 6.5 mile run just to see how hard it would be. It was tiring, and needless to say, I slept like a baby last night. Ha ha,
    Agree with everything Rhode Island said. Relax and enjoy your few months before you leave, and don't worry about all the MOS questions. They will teach you everything you need to know.

6.5 mile run is good. They should have taken you about 40-45 minutes, right? So if you can handle that, keep running endurance runs, and you will get faster at the 3 mile. Once a week, if you feel up to it, do a fartlek session. Run something like 15 minute warmup, do your stretching and drills if you do them. Then go out and run 2 to 3 minutes hard, followed by 90 seconds to 2 minutes easy and repeat that 6 to 8 times. (Maybe start out with 4-6 at first and build up to it.) Then do a 10 minute cool down. Your time will continue to get faster. If you can handle 45 minute of easy run, work on building that up to 60.

When I take kids out on Saturdays, we run 75 to 85 and they are 9th through 12th grade. Great aerobic strength.

Awesome! Yeah it took me 45 mins to run that distance. I will give the "fartlek session" a go and see how I do! To me, 60 minutes seems like a long time to run, because I don't like to run, ha ha but its just one of those things that im going to have to learn to love! Thanks again guys, I'll keep in touch!

Thread Information