Update on future decisions...
Create Post

Update on future decisions...

I've posted here before regarding my time in the Marine Reserves and after careful consideration, I have decided to accept a position in the Air Force Reserve very close to my home in Colorado. I successfully completed 8 years in the USMCR with one deployment to Iraq and was honorable discharged as a Sgt. I've thought about this decision long and hard, while my heart and mind will also have me being a Marine, there was no opportunity for me to go active duty with the Marine Corps and the only unit that was around here, the only job that was available was to be a cook.

I could have transferred to a unit down in Texas to be an crew chief on a C-130, but that would have meant giving up a pretty sweet civilian job at Boeing making over 50k a year, trying to relocate the family to Texas and then trying to find a full time job while only making reservist pay.

The Air Force will allow me to keep my current job, allow me to continue to advance in my career field, and hopefully make it to a flight engineer spot on a c-130. I will be starting out as a loadmaster for a c-130 (currently hold 3 aviation degrees). I did think about becoming an officer but at 29 years old, that opportunity no longer presents its self.

I just really hope that I am making the right decision, and that years down the road, I will not be second guessing myself, and hope that I can bring everything that the Marine Corps has taught me over the last 8 years to the AF so they can see the work dedication and the commitment that I have.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You have to do what is best for you and your family.

Thank you for your 8 years of dedicated service to the United States Marine Corps.

Best of luck and health to you and your family.

Don't be a stranger on this forum. Once a Marine, always a Marine

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Good luck.

Ryan, Back in 1980, after 4 years of active duty in the Corps, 1975-1979, I joined the Army Reserve. It was surely different than the Corps. The worst thing for me was wearing the Army uniform. I got used to it as time went on. I'm still in the Army Reserve, an old crusty E-8, with about one year left. You can stay in the Army Reserve until age 60. At age 60 I will retire with pay and all the benefits. Just remember if you join you will get paid for weekend drills, two week period of annual training and have the benefits of shopping at the Exchange and Commissary. If you already served 8 years you only have to do 12 more years for a total of 20 years. If you completed 20 "good" years you can receive retirement pay. The only problem with retiring from the reserve or guard is you have to wait till you are 60 to receive retirement pay. The only negative thing is you can be deployed and be away from home and family. Take your time to decide and make the your decision. Semper Fi!

Thread Information