GWOT-S Medal for the Reserves
Create Post

GWOT-S Medal for the Reserves

Good Evening Marines,

I am writing to see if anyone can find the order granting the GWOT-S Medal for reservists after 3 consecutive months of drill. I have been searching for over a week now, and cannot find it. There is a ton of uncited stuff out there, but I need the order.

Thanks,
    EastofWest18

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You don't just get this for being on duty during the GWOT. It's not like the National Defense Medal.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    You don't just get this for being on duty during the GWOT. It's not like the National Defense Medal.
    AAV Crewcheif, that is what we thought. Then a group of us were formed up for inspection in our Chucks and a SNCO came by and told us that we all rated the medal after 3 consecutive months of good drills. We started to check around, and it turns out that there are references all over to a 2006/7 change to USN awards regulations that covers the USMC also and instructs the GWOT-S medal to be awarded after 3 months of consecutive good drill.

The change is referenced all over the internet, including the websites of a number of companies that sell medals, but none of them have the actual regulation. I was hoping that a Marine or Sailor here would know what it was.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Geez, the Corps is giving out decs now just like the AF.

You don't rate it after 3 months of drills. You have to be activated or mobilized or do adsw for thirty consecutive days in support (training/workups) for the global war on terrorism. So in turn, if you get deployed (not your AT) after 30 days, you would rate it. Here's the excerpt from MARADMIN 499/04:

3. CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD: NO MARINE WILL QUALIFY FOR THIS AWARD
    SIMPLY BY BEING ON ACTIVE DUTY ON OR AFTER 11 SEP 01. MARINES MUST
    MEET THE CRITERIA OUTLINED IN THIS MARADMIN, AND BE APPROVED FOR THE
    AWARD. MARINES MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR MOBILIZED, IN CONUS
    OR OVERSEAS, TO A UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR IN SUPPORT OF (INCLUDING
    INDIRECT SUPPORT) APPROVED OPERATIONS FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE, OR 60
    NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS, OR MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
    A. BE ENGAGED IN ACTUAL COMBAT REGARDLESS OF TIME IN THE OPERATION.
    B. WHILE PARTICIPATING IN THE OPERATION, REGARDLESS OF TIME, IS KILLED, WOUNDED, OR INJURED REQUIRING MEDICAL EVACUATION FROM THE OPERATION.

Thread Information