In extreme pain, not sure what to do.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

In extreme pain, not sure what to do.

Yesterday I had a regular PT day with all the other poolees and SSgt Luk. During his PT sessions he usually makes us do a bunch of running and workouts, and trains our "attention span" by trying to attack us and throw punches and kicks at us. Many of us have gotten caught off guard and hit, but never made a big deal about it because he is a cool guy and we don't want him to get in trouble. Yesterday was different though, he usually doesn't full on hit us with all his strength but for some reason he decides to take all of his energy and direct it into a punch towards me that hits me dead on in the sternum. Even after telling him that I seriously can't breathe he kept screwing around with me and tackling me to the ground. I'm no wussy, believe me. But i've never felt a pain like this before, I literally can't even take a deep breath or cough without serious pain. What should I do? I don't want him to get fired or anything; advice or opinions?

Last edited by Lisa 23; 04-06-12 at 01:22 PM.

Yes, if you are in "extreme" pain, see a doctor.

As already mentioned, go and see a doctor, don't try and tough it out. Even if there is some improvement in the pain, your symptoms still warrant evaluation. I hope you understand why we strongly recommend evaluation by a doctor. There could be a number things that may (or may not) have happened when he punched you in the sternum.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Take no chances.
    See a Doctor ASAP !!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I'm having a heart attack....what do you all recommend?

I know medical questions should be asked of medical personnel.......

But if any of my esteemed colleagues can help me I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    I'm having a heart attack....what do you all recommend?

I know medical questions should be asked of medical personnel.......

But if any of my esteemed colleagues can help me I would appreciate it.
    Take some aspirin and chew it, then call 911, or have some one call 911

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm not asking for a medical diagnosis. I went to the doctor and he said chances are I have a really bad bruised sternum. According to him it can take 1-3 weeks to fully heal. I have to take some painkillers and whatnot..but the question still stands. What do I do about this whole SSgt Luk situation? Do I just ignore it? I don't want him to get in trouble but I don't think it's right that he can muster up all his strength and hit me as hard as he wants without a slap on the wrist.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You can't ignore it...your recruiter needs to know and go from there.

Especially since you are taking prescribed pain killers.Inform your recruiter in case you are given the whizz test there will be documentation.

And follow doctors advice.

Good luck.....

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sir.

jj, like I said in the PM I sent you, you have to decide what to do in this situation. Since you went to the doctor and learned you have a bruised sternum, a little harder punch and what gets bruised? Uh-huh, that organ located right behind the sternum, and it doesn't like getting punched hard.

So, yes, you can speak to your recruiter, but his is lower rank than the Luk, so your other option is speaking to SSgt Pi...e.

What you want to avoid is if this happens again, don't punch back. You are correct that this isn't right.

So as I said before, consider the situation and do what is in your best interest.

Next time (IF there is one), hit him back as hard as you can. That's called self defense and it's legal. See how he likes it. What he is doing to you is called assault and is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Next time (IF there is one), hit him back as hard as you can. That's called self defense and it's legal. See how he likes it. What he is doing to you is called assault and is illegal.
    My thoughts exactly. Training your attention span? What the hell is that BS? To me it just sounds like a recruiter beating up highschool kids, If it was a self defense class I could understand but that it is not it is friggin POOLEE workouts of which if you get hurt then you don't ship to MCRD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    That was my thought, Top, but was a bit concerned that it could backfire on him. I think he definitely should consider talking to the SNOIC of that recruiters station.

Assault is assault. If it backfires on anybody it will backfire on the recruiter and rightfully so. That recruiter is nothing but a bully (he is counting on his pooleess to not defend themselves and so far getting away with it); he is not teaching anything constructive and should not be in the recruiting command. In fact, an anonymous phone call to the district command SgtMaj is in order to put a stop to the practice immediately before someone is hospitalized (or worse); at that point, everyone is going to ask "how in the hell was this conduct not reported".

DI's do not have the authority to abuse recruits and when they do they are removed from the drill field. Recruiters are no different and when they are found to be abusing pooleess they too should be relieved from their duties. Pretty simple. But, people have to take action for anything to happen. Keeping silent and accepting the abuse for fear of retaliation only makes the problem worse and may even be dangerous.

This particular recruiter happened to make it through the selection process but obviously is not conducting himself in the manner expected of the recruiting command.

Thread Information