Can I get a bachelor degree while being active duty?
Create Post

Question Can I get a bachelor degree while being active duty?

Hi everyone, I'm Gerardo Colon and I leaving to boot camp in 6 weeks. My MOS is Legal/Admin Option. Everyone come with a goal when they join in the Marine Corps... Well, mine is that I want to finish my bachelor while being in active duty. The point is, what are my chances of getting it while I'm in the service? Thank you in advances Marines!

Typically the first tour is so busy, you have little time for school. If you focus and divide your time accordingly, you may be able to get in a single class a semester. I tried and found it impossible to allocate time accordingly.

There is always an education office on every base. Go talk to them and see what they have to say.

Good luck!

Gerardo, it depends on how many credits you currently have. If you have none, then completing a degreee on a four-year hitch practically speaking is impossible.

That said, in the admin and legal field, it will also depend upon where your first duty station is. I was in the legal field for nine years. I knew many in the admin field. If given a choice, I would choose legal over admin any day. The people in that field are outstanding. It is more of a tight-knit community.

Typically, working in the 0100 field, or an oh one no one as we put it, you are going to be working an 0730 to 1630 day. In the 4400 field, same thing. You will have plenty of opportunity in the evenings to pull one to two classes a semester.

At my first duty station, I attended a community class. I believe I took two classes a semster. A buddy of mine on a 3 year enlistment earned his AA and when he got out transferred to Penn State. I stayed in, the Marine Corps sent me to college for a couple years, and then after that went to Okinawa and in the evening took college courses at University of Maryland.

So, once you get settled into your first duty station, learn the ropes of your job, the hours you will pull, etc., you should be able to take college courses. BUT...that also depends. Every duty station is different, and your first assignment could be with a unit that deploys and all bets are off. Hope that answers your question or gives you and idea of what to expect.

Thanks to both of you, Marines. Your answers were pretty helpful for me. Now I have an idea of what to expect when I get in the fleet. Once again thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo1992 View Post
    The point is, what are my chances of getting it while I'm in the service?
    They are what you make them. I had about 40 credits done before I came in the Corps and finished my degree in 4 years on active duty. A buddy of mine did his ENTIRE undergrad on his first tour. On the flip side, another buddy of mine is in his 15'th year of active duty and is just now starting his degree. If you're truly dedicated to doing it, you can do it. I'm not saying it's going to be easy. You'll probably miss out on a lot of things. You'll probably spend a lot of your free time doing school. But if it's what you really want, it can be done.

But you're not going to want to go to the closest traditional 4 year university. You're going to want to go to the education center on base and check out those schools. They are typically geared toward the active duty Marine. They'll offer night and weekend classes or online classes where it's an accelerated program. They typically have 8 or 9 weeks semesters.

Thanks for the information, Marine. I know it isn't going to be easy, but I will do my best and I will sacrifice to get what I really want and at the end of the day hard works pay off. Thank you for your time.

I'll chime in and add one more comment - the first part of your tour will be (should be) dedicated to learning your job. Your MOS school will teach you just enough to realize that there is a whole lot that you don't know about your chosen field.

That being said, there will be time available, but it all depends on how you choose to use it. Many of your peers will use the weekends to go out and drink through their paychecks, and others will earn their master's degrees in X-Box 360. I'm not saying that you'll need to be a monk on your off duty hours, but if you want to go to school, there will be time available - but plan on giving it at least 8-10 hours a week in study time, plus time writing papers and such. As in all things, a little self-discipline will go a long way.

There are many quality schools on base, and some very good online schools that are truly military friendly - and the online schools in particular can follow you from duty station to duty station.

So, here's my advice - spend at least the first year learning your job as a Marine - not just MOS school, but once you reach your first duty station. Then, based upon your work load and your personal situation, look into going to school as recommended above - start with one class at a time. If you find that you can carry more of a course load, then go ahead, but don't start out that way.

Personally, I think it would be tough to earn your bachelor's degree in your first enlistment, but I think it is a realistic goal to have it done by the end of your second enlistment (depending on your duty assignment and, of course, other outside factors beyond your control).

Good luck!

You should have a pretty good chance of at least your associates degree. Im currently taking college classes. Tuition assistance will cover roughly 18 or so credits a year plus on top of that there are numerous scholarships out there for service members.

Thread Information