The unofficial Marine literature thread
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

The unofficial Marine literature thread

From time to time i'll pick up a good book about the Marine Corps and read it; but there are times where I will stop at the library and pickup a Marine book (suggested by the librarian) that is absolutely horrid and turns out to be anti-Marine crap. Then it occurred to me, why not make a thread where Poolees or possibly even Marines can post a few of their favorite Marine Corps related books and a little about why they liked it. It would benefit everyone when searching for a great Marine book.

Here are two of my favorite Marine Corps books.

Making the Corps by Thomas Ricks : I really liked this book because it indirectly shows you what to avoid if you want to survive boot-camp. It also expresses great third person and first person angles on how the Marine Corps is run and how Marines are made. I also really liked the take on what goes through a drill instructor's head when he/she is training recruits. A must read if you care about the values and traditions of the Corps. I would give it a 4 out of 5 only because at times the book would switch perspectives too fast and you would have to figure out what the author was trying to allude to.

The things they carried by Tim O'Brien : My all time favorite book about the Marine Corps. I really loved this book because it clearly outlines the struggles the Marines faced in Vietnam and it really questions the difference between war, peace, fact, and faction. The pages fly by as you read this book and I really loved the detail. I would undoubtedly give it a 5 out of 5.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Try " Why Marines Fight " by James Brady. It's a Great read .
    I give it a 10 out of 10.

United States Marines, for more than two centuries, have been among the world’s fiercest and most admired of warriors. They have fought from the Revolutionary War to Afghanistan and Iraq, in famous battles become bone and sinew of American lore. But why do Marines fight? Why fight so well? Why run toward the guns? Now comes a thrilling new book, pounding and magnificent in scope, by the author some Marines consider the unofficial “poet laureate” of their Corps.

James Brady interviews combat Marines from wars ranging from World War II to Afghanistan, their replies in their own individual voices unique and powerful, an authentically American story of a country at war, as seen through the eyes of its warriors.

Culling his own correspondence and comradeship with hundreds of fellow Marines, Brady compiles a story---lyrical and historical---of the motivations and emotions behind this compelling question. Included are the accounts of Senator James Webb and his lance corporal son, Jim; New York City police commissioner Ray Kelly; Yankee second baseman (and Marine fighter pilot) Jerry Coleman, and of teachers, firemen, authors, cops, Harvard football players, and just plain grunts, as well as the unforgettable story of Jack Rowe, who lost an eye and other parts and now grows avocados and chases rattlesnakes. Their stories poignantly and profoundly illustrate the lives and legacies of battlefront Marines.

Why Marines Fight is a ruthlessly candid book about professional killers not ashamed to recall their doubts as well as exult in their savagely triumphant battle cries. A book of weight and heft that Marines, and Americans everywhere, will want to read, and may find impossible to forget.

Last edited by Rocky C; 03-27-12 at 06:29 PM.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I checked it out, seems pretty cool! Thanks for getting the ball rolling Sir!

Thread Information