1371 and 0311; advice?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

1371 and 0311; advice?

I want to be a combat engineer, I got cleared for it and got the contract for it. The only thing is i'm torn between eventually switching over to 0311 or staying 1371. I want to spend a lot of time doing hands on things, but at the same time I like the whole idea of being Infantry. Anyone have advice for me? It would be much appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Jack,
    You're all over this site.
    like a flee jumping in a frying pan.

grow up, .................................
    consider your options................
    make a choice...........................
    the ball's in your court...............

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sir I was just looking for a second opinion. I'm not asking someone to make a life decision for me, i'm clearly just looking for the differences or a little friendly advice.

Young man, you need to pick an MOS and stick with it. Do some research here on leatherneck, the internet, and ask your recruiter. The Marine Corps isn't going to spend all this money on training you in one MOS and then you're going to decide you don't like it and want to switch over to another MOS. It doesn't work that way. It's one or the other, not both.

To actually answer your question:

I am an 0311, and I can tell you right now if you aren't in yet by the time you ARE in you'll be in a peace time marine corps most likely, which means cammie inspections, nit picking my staff-pieces, all of the BS that you don't think of now you'll have to deal with.

I also have worked with CEs alot. I'm not sure how it works for them, but the one sthat I have worked with pretty much do the same exact thing as us (patrol, sweep with a CMD / Valon) with the addition of C4 that you're never going to use. they also have to deal with the construction of bases. which doesn't seem as fun as it sounds.

in the end its your choice, but both MOS's aren't going to be like the way they seem whe nyou finally do get in.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sir, i'm going to stick with my CE contract.

A couple of thoughts...

1 - who knows if it'll be a "peace time Marine corps" (whatever that means) by the time you are in. Typically, once major commitments end, the Marine Corps tends to be committed to numerous small actions - that's where the MEU(SOC)s come in. So, don't put too much stock in anyone's predictions on what the Marine Corps will be doing two years from now - afterall, those who got out of boot camp in August 2001 were in a "peace time Marine Corps" - for the next month, anyway.

2 - pretty much what Wilson said above - in my experience, we referred to the Marines in the Combat Engineer Battalion as "Grunts who just carry more gear". The engineer squad assigned to my company did all the same training as the rest of the Marines in the rifle company.

Its all the same dirt,sand and mud.

Been with CE in the Stumps, Oki at Schwab and Courtney and Fuji.

You will train and cross train.

Just do and be good at what your doing.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Thread Information