Switching from enlistment into the Marines to the Army
Closed Thread

Switching from enlistment into the Marines to the Army

Long story, I shortened it by a lot, if you have the time please read:
    I am a high school senior, eighteen years old. Ever since the seventh grade, my mind was bent on joining the military. I say the seventh grade because that is when I actually told myself so, and haven't changed my mind since. At first I wanted to become a Navy fighter pilot. I wanted to fly the fastest, most maneuverable aircraft to date AND take of/land on a floating runway. So I started watching all sorts of military TV shows and documentaries. Later on I wanted to become an Army paratrooper, or a sniper, or do EOD. All these things were going through my mind. I read and watched, and learned. Pretty soon the military became the one thing that everyone who knows me knows me by.
    The Marine Corps wasn't even a thought back the. But then, during my sophomore year, I "talked" to the recruiter. He chuckled, telling me to return in two years. I returned a few days later for what they call "pool functions," or PT. I liked it. I was new and didn't know anyone, but was pushed just as hard. I've been going there every week for two years now, have seen guys come and go, dep in and become Marines.
    I thought I had it all planned out. Finish high school and become a Marine. The Marine Corps had become a passion for me, even though I wasn't one yet. I was determined. Training, learning knowledge, being with the group of guys sharing the same morals and view points. Building that strong sense of camaraderie.
    But then something happened, trouble (I was sixteen at the time), and though I figured it was all over and done with, it has put my whole enlistment into jeopardy. I was arrested, but the whole thing was cleared through "diversion." I was never fingerprinted and since I turned eighteen my whole record was cleared, so I don't and never did have any criminal history. When I went to MEPS I was asked if I was ever arrested. Now, I knew that my record was clean and all, so technically I could have said no. I could have lied. But I didn't. I told the truth and explained what happened, but I'm starting to see that the Corps only cares about what happened, well, happened. So I went to the Army recruiters, and they said they could get that waiver but I'm still bent on Marine Corps. I guess going there for the past two years really made me more biased.
    I've had plenty of time to think about this though. The "worse" that could happen is I go Army. But still, if you could just try to understand my position. Becoming a Marine meant the world to me, but now because of some stupid little issue it may be denied.

What I'm asking for here is not an answer, I'm asking for your opinion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Marine "fanboy" who talks bad about other branches, I respect them just the same and it ****es me off when other guys do talk about them. There's a line between joking around, and taking it too far. The Army has established it's position in history just as well. It is foolish to judge a branch based on only one individual, it is the entire team that makes the difference. But like I said, I just grew too biased towards the Marines. I mean, just say it! MARINE. You know what I mean. Now I guess I'm going to college, either Washington State or University of Idaho. I plan on eventually becoming an officer through PLC or NROTC, but also plan on enlisting as a reservist prior to that. It's very important to me that I'm able to say I was enlisted before I become and officer. I just can't understand how the Marine Corps focuses too much on one little detail and fails to see the bigger picture of me. This has happened many times in history before, for example Audie Murphy (To Hell and Back). I'm not comparing myself to him, but pointing out how even the Marine Corps can be, or try to be, "too elite" for their own good. They appear to seek perfection but fail to realize that perfection is demoralizing, when on the other hand excellence is motivating. There IS a difference between the two.

Just tell me what you think. I still pray to God and try to have faith in Him, but I'm failing. I just keep thinking that God isn't going to help me in this one. Just help me straighten my mind out about the Army. I figured in the end, IF I do have to go Army, the only difference will be the uniform. Why? Because I have develop a certain mentality, and it will all depend on what I make of it. I am determined to make the best of it. Maye I'll push myself even harder, just to prove to myself and the world that I am able and worthy of the title. Become a Ranger.
    Help me get my mind in order. Why am I so biased for the Marine Corps? The Army isn't as bad as some make it sound, is it?
    Honest, straight forward, positive or negative. I've had plenty of time to think of this myself so I guess it really doesn't matter. Just had to tell someone somewhere.

"Every dog deserves two bites."-Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fill out your profile as per site rules.
    Thread closed until done.
    Contact any Squad Leader when profile is filled out and we will reopen the thread.

Thread Information