Commissioned Officer spouse/dependent expecting a salute?! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Marine Free Member FaDeD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Swansboro, NC
    Posts
    137
    Credits
    2,437
    Savings
    0
    Salute because your told. If you want to get **** pros and cons and never get off the gate then be a ****bag but following orders and Marines do regardless of personal opinion, if you want to ever get off the gate and into a patrol car you willmake sure the dependents have the whole experience.


  2. #17
    Marine Free Member Kegler300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    8,478
    Credits
    40,497
    Savings
    0
    The no cell phone hands free policy should also apply to an officer taking his hand off the wheel to return a hand salute...in my opinion anyway.

    We had a civilian police officer here at Camp Lejeune fired for not saluting a general officer's vehicle during the Camp Lejeune morning rush hour traffic when they just wave everybody through the gate.


  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Conch View Post
    I think the Marine Corps is the only branch where you salute the sticker on the vehicle coming through the gate. Most bases across the Military have eliminated the vehicle decals. You only need your Military ID now to get on base, and it gets scanned.

    From what I've seen, no other branch of the Service requires dependents to be saluted. The only one you salute normally is the actual Commissioned Officer who is driving the vehicle, not some little brat 16 year old kid driving his daddy the Colonel's car. I personally think it's stupid as Hell that the Marine Corps requires the stickers to be saluted, regardless of who is driving the vehicle through the gate.

    Semper Fi,
    Blake.
    We have quite a few military people in my area cause I'm located between Tinker AFB and Ft. Sill. I still see quite a few stickers on vehicles around here. They could be old though as I really don't pay that much attention to them anymore.


  4. #19
    Salute and move on. I did base guard duty for a while and have made several mistakes that got me huge ass chewings.
    1) I let a semi drive through the front gate, running over one of the light posts in front of the gate.
    2) Made a inappropriate comment about a civilian woman who turns out to be the wife of the MP who was in charge of my shift.


  5. #20
    I try to return salutes while I'm in a vehicle and stopped. I don't when I'm driving, but I try to make some kind of gesture to acknowledge the salute.
    I figure most people really couldn't care less, but I could be very wrong about that. Does it bother any of you if you salute a moving vehicle and the salute is not returned?

    I personally think saluting a vehicle is pretty ridiculous, and that the ones who raise a stink about a car salute it might have some personality issues that need checked, but its what the Marine Corps says we do.


  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    I try to return salutes while I'm in a vehicle and stopped. I don't when I'm driving, but I try to make some kind of gesture to acknowledge the salute.
    I figure most people really couldn't care less, but I could be very wrong about that. Does it bother any of you if you salute a moving vehicle and the salute is not returned?

    I personally think saluting a vehicle is pretty ridiculous, and that the ones who raise a stink about a car salute it might have some personality issues that need checked, but its what the Marine Corps says we do.
    You try to return a salute? If you are a Commissioned Officer, you expected and REQUIRED to return the salute.

    You think the gate guard just salutes the Officer to look good? Wrong. They salute out of respect and courtesy. The Officer needs to have the decency and respect to salute back.

    It's not that hard to do.


  7. #22
    you ARE expected and REQUIRED to return the salute.***

    Also, you try to acknowledge while driving? So you don't return a salute while walking then either? Because it's the same thing.

    I've seen plenty of Officers return a salute while driving and their car is moving. Not that hard to do. Just saying.


  8. #23
    There are many times I come through the gate in PT gear or civvies and change in the gym before work. I wouldn't salute in civvies or PT gear outside of the car; what makes it different when operating a vehicle?

    Like I said, if I'm stopped and have a cover on, I return it.
    I'll return it while driving now. That is why I asked.


  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    There are many times I come through the gate in PT gear or civvies and change in the gym before work. I wouldn't salute in civvies or PT gear outside of the car; what makes it different when operating a vehicle?

    Like I said, if I'm stopped and have a cover on, I return it.
    I'll return it while driving now. That is why I asked.
    Try telling that to "CHESTY".


  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    There are many times I come through the gate in PT gear or civvies and change in the gym before work. I wouldn't salute in civvies or PT gear outside of the car; what makes it different when operating a vehicle?

    Like I said, if I'm stopped and have a cover on, I return it.
    I'll return it while driving now. That is why I asked.
    Good.

    Even in civvies you return the salute when going through the gates.


  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    This is nothing new. As an MP at gates when I was in, we were also expected to salute all unaccompanied female drivers regardless of decal color. You know a lot of enlisted WMs got saluted, but oh well.


    .
    Really? I don't recall that ever happening to any of the females I was with, and we were all enlisted. When did that start?

    And to the gentleman who asked the original question, these fellas are all corrected. My husband was a Marine and MP as well, you salute the sticker. :-/


  12. #27
    Squad Leader Free Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Crescent City
    Posts
    5,471
    Credits
    14,363
    Savings
    0
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseFM View Post
    Really? I don't recall that ever happening to any of the females I was with, and we were all enlisted. When did that start?

    And to the gentleman who asked the original question, these fellas are all corrected. My husband was a Marine and MP as well, you salute the sticker. :-/
    This was in the mid-1970s. It was one of those old-fashioned male chauvinist pig things.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts